Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Would love for the quest library to get something like skyrim

It does now... via Oculus Link and yer PC!

Yeah big jump in graphic sharpness from PSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mrcheez wrote: »
    It does now... via Oculus Link and yer PC!

Yeah big jump in graphic sharpness from PSVR.

Would I regret getting a 64 model?

Would I regret getting a 64 model?

I'd personally recommend the 128 GB due to the upload sizes of sideloading content (custom Beat Saber mappings, or movies etc), as you'll run out of space eventually, but many people seem happy with the 64GB.

Also if you are going to use it with a PC the storage size probably isn't that important.

Also bear in mind approx 10gb is reserved for the OS...plus many games are circa 10gb each

I think most are around 5gb though

wt8pd6jk00p31.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Is this a big step up from the go?

Is this a big step up from the go?

yeah, it's 6DoF (you stand up / sit down, or walk forward / backward and you do so in the VR world as well).

Go is only 3DoF (so you can look around, but not "move" in the VR world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

yeah, it's 6DoF (you stand up / sit down, or walk forward / backward and you do so in the VR world as well).

Go is only 3DoF (so you can look around, but not "move" in the VR world)

I bought the go when it came out but only used it a handful of times as it made me feel queasy on movement so I take it the 6dof would make me even sicker. I wanted to watch movies on it but find the kind of blur irritating after a while. Is it better for that. I can see the potential for home cinema but the go wasn't quite there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

491763.jpg

I bought the go when it came out but only used it a handful of times as it made me feel queasy on movement so I take it the 6dof would make me even sicker. I wanted to watch movies on it but find the kind of blur irritating after a while. Is it better for that. I can see the potential for home cinema but the go wasn't quite there yet

Resolution is a little better than Go and a lot better than OG Rift.

I actually like the Go for watching movies, but you need to make sure they are at least 12GB in size or 20GB for 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Is it safe, particularly for children, to have such powerful technology so close to the brain, especially for prolonged periods? I can't help but wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Is it safe, particularly for children, to have such powerful technology so close to the brain, especially for prolonged periods? I can't help but wonder.

According to a study in the Journal of Applied Psychology, Toddlers who played VR, brought what the investigators called a “heightened intellectual ability,” which came from “knowledge born of their VR experience.” So yes, VR is good for children.

I have my 2yo, playing Job Simulator for 3 hours a day, I believe this will give him a competitive edge over his peers when he enters pre school. I’ve also recently exposed him to Beat Saber for 30 minutes a day which I believe should give him acute senses, enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, durability, healing, and reflexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

kerplun k wrote: »
    According to a study in the Journal of Applied Psychology, Toddlers who played VR, brought what the investigators called a “heightened intellectual ability,” which came from “knowledge born of their VR experience.” So yes, VR is good for children.

I have my 2yo, playing Job Simulator for 3 hours a day, I believe this will give him a competitive edge over his peers when he enters pre school. I’ve also recently exposed him to Beat Saber for 30 minutes a day which I believe should give him acute senses, enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, durability, healing, and reflexes.

You think your VR headset will give your son superpowers?

I hope your post was hyperbole tbh.

You think your VR headset will give your son superpowers?

I hope your post was hyperbole tbh.

Please don’t put words in my mouth, I never said superpowers. But yes, I do believe the VR headset will give my son enhanced abilities and a cognitive edge.

kerplun k wrote: »

If he survives the brain cancer from all the radiation exposure, which was what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Link not working, but a quick google shows nothing more than possible theoretical risks, akin to all the scare stories about mobile phones and masts years ago

Link not working, but a quick google shows nothing more than possible theoretical risks, akin to all the scare stories about mobile phones and masts years ago

Yeah, for some reason I can't post links properly.

Powerful tech like this produces a lot of radiation. I don't see how that's possibly safe, especially for a child.

But if people want to plow on with this, enjoy.

Most kids are stuck in smartphones for extended periods so I think it's just the way things are going

I had my face glued to the CRT TV playing Zelda in the 80s and I survived ;)

Yeah, for some reason I can't post links properly.

Powerful tech like this produces a lot of radiation. I don't see how that's possibly safe, especially for a child.

But if people want to plow on with this, enjoy.

Your absolutely right, powerful technology like this does pose a genuine threat. While I’m not too concerned about the low levels of radiation, I am worried about mankind spending more and more time in virtual reality. The world we live in has been built on mans eagerness to impress women. That’s a given, but If you put men in a world where we are essentially gods, and you take away our hunger to impress women, I think civilization will eventually crumble.

Most kids are stuck in smartphones for extended periods so I think it's just the way things are going

I had my face glued to the CRT TV playing Zelda in the 80s and I survived ;)

But you weren't holding the monitor, nor was it strapped directly to your head.

It's convenient they're building a 2 billion€ hospital I guess.

• Advertisement

But you weren't holding the monitor, nor was it strapped directly to your head.

It's convenient they're building a 2 billion€ hospital I guess.

I'd wager there was more radiation given out on an old CRT 2 foot away from you than the displays in headsets give at close range.

I'm sure these have been tested to death ('scuse the pun)

Bah, radiation my arse. A Vr Headset will not give off more radiation than your 5ghz WiFi connection and 4g data connection.

My parents said playing video games back in the days of CRT monitors would give me square eyes yet since being addicted to playing video games on the c64 since the age of 5, to this day at 35 years of age I have still retained 20/20 vision.

Hand an eye coordination is essential for any type of job that involves using your hands or controlling something.

So of course VR will speed up the process for a 2 year old.

I know rally and track racing drivers that started off in sim racing and VR and they found it very beneficial and had a head start.

Same goes for learning to fly planes with flight simulators.

The more VR is adapted for training and education the better.

I can remember surgeons used a Wii motion controller to train how to do surgery virtually back in the day.

Of course the only real risk is of the 2 year old getting addicted to VR so its upto the parent to limit they're time, but the same thing is happening with smart phones and tablets.

And VR headsets are a bit cumbersome for extended wear so I don't see it as much of an issue.

Kerplun K I would love to hear updates about your 2 year old using VR, I think it's fascinating and would love hear about their development.

Doge wrote: »
    Bah, radiation my arse. A Vr Headset will not give off more radiation than your 5ghz WiFi connection and 4g data connection.

My parents said playing video games back in the days of CRT monitors would give me square eyes yet since being addicted to playing video games on the c64 since the age of 5, to this day at 35 years of age I have still retained 20/20 vision.

Hand an eye coordination is essential for any type of job that involves using your hands or controlling something.

So of course VR will speed up the process for a 2 year old.

I know rally and track racing drivers that started off in sim racing and VR and they found it very beneficial and had a head start.

Same goes for learning to fly planes with flight simulators.

The more VR is adapted for training and education the better.

I can remember surgeons used a Wii motion controller to train how to do surgery virtually back in the day.

Of course the only real risk is of the 2 year old getting addicted to VR so its upto the parent to limit they're time, but the same thing is happening with smart phones and tablets.

And VR headsets are a bit cumbersome for extended wear so I don't see it as much of an issue.

Kerplun K I would love to hear updates about your 2 year old using VR, I think it's fascinating and would love hear about their development.

I don't use WIFI, 4G or any form of wireless tech because of the huge levels of radiation.

People are rapidly turning their homes into microwave ovens and it'll only get worse when the IOT fad kicks in. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I don't use WIFI, 4G or any form of wireless tech because of the huge levels of radiation.

People are rapidly turning their homes into microwave ovens and it'll only get worse when the IOT fad kicks in. Sad.

Holy sh1t we got a live one here folks!

Name checks out. What the hell is in that tea?

Got 10 free apps last night after the "eligible upgrades from Go to Quest" went live.

Score!

Also got Dreadhalls for free as I have it on Rift... I think this is going to be the scariest way to play it as the wire was always something that took me out of the experience.

Thrill of the Fight is out for Quest. The killer app!

And it's cheap FFS. Madness!

Thrill of the Fight is out for Quest. The killer app!

And it's cheap FFS. Madness!

Now that looks like the best boxing simulation to date.

Creed just felt arcadey and the punching didnt feel right on PSVR.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Now that looks like the best boxing simulation to date.

Creed just felt arcadey and the punching didnt feel right on PSVR.

I've been playing it on Rift for a while, it's the best workout game bar none.

Beat Saber or whatever is a casual stroll compared to TotF

https://vrhealth.institute/portfolio/thrill-of-the-fight/

Even the practice punching bag alone section is fulfilling enough and you really feel the lateral ab core muscles at work.

When you get "punched" it actually makes you flinch and seems quite realistic :)

Advertisement