Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BBC forecast just been on,giving a pretty severe storm with the centre of the low over the North West of Ireland & moving North East.

Jet stream is to push South by the weekend leading to calmer but very cold weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nothing is certain but this looks quite a major wind event. Been going through the charts and what strikes me is how slow moving this storm is compared with the big one last Feb which peaked and did all the damage within a couple of hours here in Kerry. To my amateur eye this looks like blowing a stink for anything up to 12 hrs here on the Kerry coast, hard to know how long it will peak for and what kind of wind speeds but most likely has the potential to be damaging going by the present set up. High Tide here is set for about 23.30 which will probably coincide with the brunt of the storm Weds night although it will be a neap tide.Rivers are quite full atm although a good dry day here today so far.

Spent a few hours making the place secure today: took off wooden gates, tied down fences, weighed down anything that can move, have camping gas,lamps, candles etc on standby. Have a feeling we are going to be without electricity for a time.:(

Not being an alarmist but this may be one to be prepared for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

52b87f1419a3cb5a7cdae78647d9ec4f.giffunny gifs

Here's the high res GFS P and It just might not be too far off this track and intensity. Certainly shows a fairly nasty situation. I know ECM is nearly always the form horse but let's look back at this and see how right or wrong it was <100 hrs,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Redsunset wrote:
    Here's the high res GFS P and It just might not be too far off this track and intensity. Certainly shows a fairly nasty situation. I know ECM is nearly always the form horse but let's look back at this and see how right or wrong it was

Don't go by the form. Go by the colours of the riders. :D

Nothing is certain but this looks quite a major wind event. Been going through the charts and what strikes me is how slow moving this storm is compared with the big one last Feb which peaked and did all the damage within a couple of hours here in Kerry. To my amateur eye this looks like blowing a stink for anything up to 12 hrs here on the Kerry coast, hard to know how long it will peak for and what kind of wind speeds but most likely has the potential to be damaging going by the present set up. High Tide here is set for about 23.30 which will probably coincide with the brunt of the storm Weds night although it will be a neap tide.Rivers are quite full atm although a good dry day here today so far.

Spent a few hours making the place secure today: took off wooden gates, tied down fences, weighed down anything that can move, have camping gas,lamps, candles etc on standby. Have a feeling we are going to be without electricity for a time.:(

And that's the key. Tis always better to prepare for possible severe events, even if things don't end up on the more serious side well at least you have more peace of mind. Instead of should I or shouldn't I do all of the above. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

Looks very severe for east coast which isn't really that well prepared for extremely high winds. My own house sits on a hill in Wicklow town with nowt between me and the sea. The gusts predicted if the worst model scenario comes off would be significant. Certainly seem worse than anything last year had to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at all the charts that have been posted I think it's time to upgrade the warnings, better to have a warning and it don't happen than have none and it's a disaster I don't think upgrading this storm is scaremongering it looks like it's going to happen. Opinions anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

teddybones wrote:
    Looks very severe for east coast which isn't really that well prepared for extremely high winds. My own house sits on a hill in Wicklow town with nowt between me and the sea. The gusts predicted if the worst model scenario comes off would be significant. Certainly seem worse than anything last year had to offer.

what is the direction of the winds if this comes off? I'm wondering will I be affected from getting to work by Dart if trees or anything falls on to the train line. I remember last year trains were delayed or cancelled when trees came down because it was a direction that was less common so the trees got weaker on particular sides.

Well I think It definitely deserves Be Aware status. Because something IS coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Redsunset wrote: »
    Well I think It definitely deserves Be Aware status. Because something IS coming.

Now do the snow thread.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rte forecast after the news certainly taking note of a possibility of a major storm on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the Met Office went with an unmodified 96 hour FAX rather than leaning towards the ECM.

This would be around 945mb north of Ireland, I'm guessing.

PPVM89.gif

18Z GFS is 10mb weaker than the 12Z. Starting to come into line with the less dramatic ECM version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

18Z GFS is 10mb weaker than the 12Z. Starting to come into line with the less dramatic ECM version.

Hi Maq does that mean its weakening and will weaken further as the days go by or is it still to far away to tell for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

GFSP desper than the old op one though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

GFS(P) 940 low off North Coast

gfs-0-78.png?18

Can't even see Ireland ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

This is being sensible and is something I never tire of saying.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Hi Maq does that mean its weakening and will weaken further as the days go by or is it still to far away to tell for sure.

Too soon to say. I don't think it will downgrade hugely, I just think the GFS will drift more towards what the ECM is showing. That's what usually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Violent gusts in the NW

post-9615-0-71786400-1421013951_thumb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Finally, something worth following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

you c any reason to be wary up north? east tyrone or belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What strength of winds could be expected on the south coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

goat2 wrote: »
    looks like scary stuff, had alot of damage done last year at my place, am dreading another blowdown, but at least i have the dangerous trees cut back

Was out today and had a good look at the surrounding landscape from a nearby hill. It's quite amazing but all the mature trees over a specific height / age were completely removed from the landscape from miles around following the last big storm last year. Hate to think what this one could remove . Off to batten down the hatches again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's interesting that night before Oiche na goaithe moire, there was a fall of snow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

gozunda wrote: »
    Was out today and had a good look at the surrounding landscape from a nearby hill. It's quite amazing but all the mature trees over a specific height / age were completely removed from the landscape from miles around following the last big storm last year. Hate to think what this one could remove . Off to batten down the hatches again ...

Isn't that a good thing though? The weaker trees were taken out last year so there should be less damage from fallen trees if this storm is around the same intensity. That would be my logic anyway.

DMI 18z for Wens 06 hrs:

84Wsvj.png

Broadly speaking, seems to be placed slightly further east, and slightly further south, than on the 12z. Also seems quite messy.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's interesting that night before Oiche na goaithe moire, there was a fall of snow.

The sequel? :P

gens-15-1-84_jns7.png

The sequel? :P

I wish! Clip from the TV program on Oíche na gaoithe móire the other night. I don't think we'll be seeing anything quite on this scale this time around.

7HaSMR.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rougies wrote: »
    Isn't that a good thing though? The weaker trees were taken out last year so there should be less damage from fallen trees if this storm is around the same intensity. That would be my logic anyway.

No - the trees taken down by the violent gusts weren't weak but were generally healthy and mature. The absolute force if the wind snapped many trees in two or simply uprooted them. That event has removed much of the most valuable trees from the landscape. Sad to see so few left now ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I wish! Clip from the TV program on Oíche na gaoithe móire the other night. I don't think we'll be seeing anything quite on this scale this time around.

7HaSMR.png

Looks like a wizzard looking in the window

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement