Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭secman

that's a great pace. you still working on your cadence, or did you stick with what you were comfortable with?

Nah to be honest just doing whats comfortable and wirking for me, one of the lads gave me a cadence sensor but i keep forgetting to put it on mainly cos im not sure how to :)
    Was mainly in a group of 6 today, it helps a lot but still had to work hard, at 63 I'm giving some of the lads 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ....Witnessed a comical confrontation between an apoplectic midget motorist and a couple of cyclists outside the café. The purple faced loon lept straight out of the car, fists clenched, screaming at the cyclists. Then a load of other people started roaring laughing and he seemed to turn even more enraged before storming off like a slapped child.
    Take a wild guess what type of car he was driving? :D....
    MG Midget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

dumped, probably.

I doubt it they are too evenly spaced out. It looks like it’s marking something out. Nobody is going to take time this took if they are just dumping.

Usual test post to get ths thread to open for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Lovely spin in Wicklow sunshine yesterday. Two friends and myself, took it nice and handy. Rathfarnham-Old Bawn - Bohernabreenagh - turn left up some pretty road I've never seen (parallel to, but lower/easier than, the military range road), into Kilbride (what a nice lady she is, the lady who runs Crawls shop, there!), Lake Drive and on to Wicklow Gap. Breezy side-winds on descent, mad traffic at Glendalough, but cafe in Laragh quiet enough. Sandwich, coffee, cake, then up the waterfall, over Sally Gap, last pop over Featherbeds (what is with all the carefully spaced car wheels??) and down to Rathfarnham for a nice cool beer. 111k total, 1800m. Lots of long stops to sit and chat in the warm sunshine, so no records broken. But a real fun ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Nice highly enjoyable 85 k spin around the roads of Donegal today.

https://strava.app.link/yIegYqAkM9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glorious evening out there this evening. i lost one of my two KOMs last week (on some ****ey back road in north county dublin) so i went out this evening and bagged a different KOM (on some ****ey back road in north county dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

on an extended commute home this evening via cruagh to the line and down Cunard....that awful sudden drop in the rd coming from Cunard direction to just before the fork at the top of Bohernabreena ....
    has been fixed :)
    it used to be marked with a yellow exclamation sign and painted arrow on the rd...always had to get to the centre line to avoid it

fixed/repaired:):)

Solo spin out n81 to blessington out to left turn for Valleymount as far as the bridge gives me 25km, back same way for a roundy 50km. Forgot my rear light tonight :( , new front light worked great.
    50km avg 29.3 kph 278m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Last night did one of my regular short loops up Killakee to view point, first right on Military road and down by Bohernabreena. Fantastic day for it and some lovely fast descending. Going up the climb though just before the Hellfire club I got confused by a strange sounding wheel and engine noise behind me, expected to see an eBike come past me but music pumping like a boy racer, saw to people hovering past me for a minute and thought it was a ghost then they flew up the hill and left me for dust. Only as they passed I realized they were on electric unicycles! Surreal experience, they must have been doing at least 30kmh up the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

brownian wrote: »
    into Kilbride (what a nice lady she is, the lady who runs Crawls shop, there!)

Indeed, the dog is sound too :D (Bonus points if anyone remembers his name, I dont)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Headed out for a spin minus the stopwatch (aka my phone) as my bike fitter suggested, so I could relax and take it easy instead of flogging myself on every single spin!!!! "Define take it easy" I said to myself as the heat and hills stretched ahead of me!

Anyways it was a nice cycle on a beautiful day heading from Clane, cross country to Knockanally Golf Club and then the hills around Newtown, down onto the old N4 before turning for Kilcock and Maynooth, to Rathcoffey and home. An hour and 28 minutes for what I think is approx 45kms-ish? Apart from the first hill from Knockanally up to Newtown (and its a looong stretch upwards with a crap surface), where I had to slip into the granny ring at the front, I felt amazingly good on my new Fizik saddle and powered home, sweat dripping to my dinner which is sizzling away as I type.

Don't think I exactly "took it easy" but with the absence of timing myself, I just have the time I left and the time I got back with a rough guess of distance. Still think I was pretty quick even with two long climbs in there.........just don't tell the bike fitter! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's a nice spin D13exile. The spin down from Knockanally (I refer to it was Ovidstown - presumably wrongly)) is tough because the surface as you say is rotten. The council resurfaced it some months back but I think they made it even worse and now it manages to scrub off any speed you had goinf into it.
    Still, there's a lovely downhill stretch into Newtown before you have the hill on the Northern side of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

That's a nice spin D13exile. The spin down from Knockanally (I refer to it was Ovidstown - presumably wrongly)) is tough because the surface as you say is rotten. The council resurfaced it some months back but I think they made it even worse and now it manages to scrub off any speed you had goinf into it.
    Still, there's a lovely downhill stretch into Newtown before you have the hill on the Northern side of the village.

It’s always been a lousy road surface in the 6 years I’ve been cycling up there. That’s what makes it a hard climb as you’re bouncing over potholes and the general unevenness of the surface.

Saying that, coming down into Newtown was a rush until I remembered that tight chicane at the bottom just as you come into the village. Hard on the old rim brakes and...........let’s just say, in that blink of an eye, I decided my next bike will have disc brakes as the rim brakes took their time to bite, although I will admit I was absolutely, top gear, flat out flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

shouldn't this thread be renamed 'tell us about your cycle today around dublin/wicklow?'

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Was a lovely day for a spin, even if it was very warm at midday as d13exile says.

First spin in a fortnight after falling and messing up my back, Drimnagh, Tallaght, gunny hill, Mount venus road, down to Marley park, sandyford, Rathmines, and then an extra loop of inchicore, Walkinstown, Harold's cross and home.
    45km at an average of 25.7 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed out on Monday, definitely overdressed despite the weather, 77km around NCD, only hanging on when I got in the door as a result of only bringing 1 bottle. Rest day on Tues ( coffees & cake with a neighbour ) , but got out for 85km yesterday, properly dressed with 2 bottles this time. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Paid it forward yesterday, just after Powerscourt. Stopped for a cyclist who had punctured for the second time, and was in need of a spare tube. He needed me to wait with the pump as well, as he'd used his CO2 cannister on his first replacement tube. I was on a short spin anyway, and had the option to ring home if I had a flat. I hope he made it home okay ... and that the cycling gods will look favourably on me for future rides!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I did 54 km yesterday including howth summit. Longest cycle I've done so far. Lovely weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Busted out my first 100k, 106 to be exact. Had initially planned to go to Wicklow but when the restrictions hit had to stay within Dublin.

Went around North Dublin County. Oldtown, Naul, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush and Lusk, Malahide and then home on the S2S where for once the wind was at my back.

Out for 5 hours in total and horsed through a bowl of stew when I got in :)

Was saddened to hear that while I was out a poor soul was killed on a road that wouldn't have been too far from me at the time. They should cover every road in this county with cycle lanes, using compulsory purchase if necessary. Hard to feel safe.

Apart from that, great day out and feel quite achieved.

RIP friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

who_ru wrote: »
    shouldn't this thread be renamed 'tell us about your cycle today around dublin/wicklow?'

No. A nice fella kindly told us about his cycle around Donegal. Love to hear about the non-dublin spins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Whats the craic with the dublin 'lockdown' now, are there guards up the mountains turning cyclists back like there was earlier on in the year?
    Looking to head up the mountains in the morning from the city centre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Didn't see any there this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

retalivity wrote: »
    Whats the craic with the dublin 'lockdown' now, are there guards up the mountains turning cyclists back like there was earlier on in the year?
    Looking to head up the mountains in the morning from the city centre.
    What does it matter if they are there or not? Surely you can give a good guess as to where the border lies before turning back or changing direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Anyone on here cycle into the back of a car today and cycle off without giving their details to the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

GazzaL wrote: »
    Anyone on here cycle into the back of a car today and cycle off without giving their details to the driver?

It wasn't me guv, honest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A quick 29km today (well, quick for me, nearly 32km/h) but at one point was passed by 6 or 7 motorcyclists on a narrow enough road, who must have thought they were on the isle of man TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

First time on the bike in 6 months .

54km in 2 hours.

Drogheda, Mornington, laytown, julianstown, towards duleek and left up to Naul, balbriggan, julianstown and back to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Went out Dunboyne Summerhill road this morning saw a group with one women down holding her shoulder car was there hope she is ok did not look bad but hopefully nothing serious .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

52 km. Thought I was nicking a KoM somewhere near Ashbourne as I was well ahead of what I thought it was, but someone else had completely smashed it only on Friday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement