Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 20 ITT (Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles, 36.2km)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Brian? wrote: »
    I feel like I was watching a different race to most people here. It was a poxy Tour up to yesterday. But I rarely find the Tour very exciting.

The yellow jersey comp was dull as dishwater, and JV were caught out by their own thinking of just rolling it over the line. But as mentioned above, the sub plots of most stages were great. The green jersey fight, the early sprint stages where Sam just couldn’t beat Caleb Ewan, and some of the breaks, not least Hirschi’s long break getting reeled in just before the finish, only for him to really contest the sprint were all great moments of this years Tour

Yeah Hirschi getting caught by the GC men tucking in and tightening the shoes was something I won't forget in a hurry.

Something I didn't notice yesterday or see get picked up on coverage was that Pogacar had no power meter or computer on the road bike for the climb.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pogacar-rode-without-power-meter-or-computer-for-la-planche-des-belles-filles/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone know the times for just the Planche des Belles Filles part yesterday? I can't find them anywhere.
    Interested in how far back Carapaz was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Anyone know the times for just the Planche des Belles Filles part yesterday? I can't find them anywhere.
    Interested in how far back Carapaz was.

https://twitter.com/velofacts/status/1307367106695041024?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I 100% agree. There were days where Roglic looked like he was a training spin. If he’d attacked he would have put more time into Pogacar, it was way too defensive.

I think many thought the job was done when Bernal cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

MPFGLB wrote: »

Absolutely crazy that Porte went up it 1 minute quicker than Roglic. After getting dropped by Roglic every time he made the effort previously.
    Leads me to think that Pogacar getting out faster early on screwed with his mind and completely upset his rhythm. I bet he'd have gone quicker if the Tour was already won and he was just chasing the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭JimmyChew

Absolutely crazy that Porte went up it 1 minute quicker than Roglic. After getting dropped by Roglic every time he made the effort previously.
    Leads me to think that Pogacar getting out faster early on screwed with his mind and completely upset his rhythm. I bet he'd have gone quicker if the Tour was already won and he was just chasing the stage.

The phycological affect at that level must be huge. Massive investment, huge team and millions watching. You see them swaggering around but at the end of the day they are young men going into battle with huge weight on their shoulders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Roglic had a serious off day. Look at the way he was wearing his helmet at the end. He was done for.

I can’t believe how far Wout was on the list above. The man is a machine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

JimmyChew wrote: »
    The phycological affect at that level must be huge. Massive investment, huge team and millions watching. You see them swaggering around but at the end of the day they are young men going into battle with huge weight on their shoulders.

That's probably the biggest reason Roglic faded yesterday, he probably should have went out hard early on and told his team that he didn't want to know how Pogacar was getting on, Roglic looked like a man that felt he was being hunted down yesterday (which he was), it probably didn't help having this confirmed by his team.
    Pogacar had nothing to lose yesterday and everything to gain, it's interesting too that he rode the climb without power meter and computer and also said he couldn't hear the radio due to the crowd, it was all instinct and probably freed him up too, the stage was over before he realised how well he had done.
    Roglic was the opposite all the info he was getting was negative (Pogacar gaining time, power output down, etc.), this would definitely have affected him psychologically and reduced his performance further, especially up the climb. I can only imagine how he felt in the last few Kms knowing the race was slipping through his fingers and not being able to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm with Laurent Fignon's take, that you only know how the Tour was won and loss looking back on it. TJV were obviously going conservative, given Rog's previous 3rd week failings. On reflection, maybe he should've gone for time in the first week when he was in form. But that approach didn't work for Yates in the Giro a couple of years ago.

Now, it looks like a big mistake for Dumoulin to work for Rog and take him out of the GC, but really, would they still have seen Pog as enough of threat to send Tom up the road and force him and others to chase?
    I feel like I was watching a different race to most people here. It was a poxy Tour up to yesterday. But I rarely find the Tour very exciting.
    The GC battle was fairly mundane, except maybe the cross winds, but I thought it was one of the best ones I remember!

Some great stages, the green jersey battle which made for some hard stages, Sunweb's all out attack. Even lower down the GC, over the gravel with Porte puncturing. There was maybe a couple of the usual break of the day/ sprint stages. The only genuinely boring stage was that one that the peloton took the day off and rolled around. Very few stages with nothing interesting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm with Laurent Fignon's take, that you only know how the Tour was won and loss looking back on it. TJV were obviously going conservative, given Rog's previous 3rd week failings. On reflection, maybe he should've gone for time in the first week when he was in form. But that approach didn't work for Yates in the Giro a couple of years ago.

Now, it looks like a big mistake for Dumoulin to work for Rog and take him out of the GC, but really, would they still have seen Pog as enough of threat to send Tom up the road and force him and others to chase?

The GC battle was fairly mundane, except maybe the cross winds, but I thought it was one of the best ones I remember!

Some great stages, the green jersey battle which made for some hard stages, Sunweb's all out attack. Even lower down the GC, over the gravel with Porte puncturing. There was maybe a couple of the usual break of the day/ sprint stages. The only genuinely boring stage was that one that the peloton took the day off and rolled around. Very few stages with nothing interesting imo.

It was the side shows that made this tour interesting. Really high number of 1st time stage winners and young stage winners and the jerseys winners were both 1st time winners as well. Also I would shed no tears watching Ineos fail.

I found the GC boring because it lacked the romantic no hope french charge of recent years and once Ineos cracked and all my favourites started to drop out I didn't really care who won as only towards the end did I get to know Pog & Rog and the morning of S20 was the first time I was sure I wanted Pog to win

Advertisement