Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, if you dont have access to hammer it out from behind, the only option really is to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

yeah, if you dont have access to hammer it out from behind, the only option really is to cut it.

Thanks guys basically Im making new gates and want to move them up closer towards the front side of house. I have access to hammer/drills and lots of other basic tools. So my bet bet would be to beat it out with a sledge hammer maybe

Total overkill and you'll possibly do more harm than good.

Grind it flush with an angle grinder or split the wood off it and see if the anchor will drive further into the hole. It very well may do.

Don't go smacking it with a sledge. In any case, it might be better to be asking this in the DIY forum I think as it's not much to do with woodcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

If it is an anchor bolt and you can get access to a Hole saw set

Select a Hole saw cutter slightly bigger than the circumference of the anchor

Using the drill bit - guide it into to the hole in the anchor cuting the timber around the anchor you go. When complete you can tap off the circular cut timber from around the anchor bolt and get access to it. Either to take the timber dow, hammer the anchor in all the way, etc

Done this lots of time and it works. Just need access to a Hole saw set

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Small ash burl bowl with milliput filling for the really punky bits. Finished with thinned cellulose sealer, yorkshire grit (regular and microfine) and hampshire sheen wax (original, not the high gloss stuff). Came out nice.

IMG_4412a.jpg

IMG_4413a.jpg

IMG_4414a.jpg

IMG_4417a.jpg

It's not very big (it was only a small blank and burl blanks are unpleasantly expensive), but it's big enough to mount a stuffed fox in :D

2020-09-05-11.30.01a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

In this video you can see how I have built my Lidl/Scheppach table saw and and installed Triton TRA001 router on the side wing.

https://youtu.be/PErh11uSoE8

I am based in Limerick so if there are any other woodworkers around here, I would love to meet 🙂

Hi Brane (hope getting name right),
    I've been meaning to pick up that very router for a cpl of years now and make a router table. I'm very close to Limerick, If you have a spare hour some Saturday afternoon, drop me a pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just using up some smaller bits and bobs of wood i have knocking around, to make eggcups. the two at the back are cherry and the wood is a bit bland, two at the front are some sort of sycamore or maple (i arrived on scene after the tree had been chopped down but blagged some of it)

527873.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Made a quirky little mallet last weekend to sit between my tiny woodcarving one and my steel cored "basher" in size!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXp6tLrvdTQ&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just started work on a large-ish natural edge bowl from an ash blank I've had lying around for a while. The bark is in great condition on it, but is a bit uninteresting colour wise, compared to if you were doing something similar in, say, yew, so I'm thinking of charring the bark a little. The ash is a nice pale colour, so I think it would make a great contrast. Any thoughts?

I'll post some photos when it's finished .. if I have all my fingers left that is :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

just using up some smaller bits and bobs of wood i have knocking around, to make eggcups. the two at the back are cherry and the wood is a bit bland, two at the front are some sort of sycamore or maple (i arrived on scene after the tree had been chopped down but blagged some of it)

527873.jpg

Front left definitely looks like fiddleback sycamore.

Nice job.

• Advertisement

Nothing fancy, just plain old practical. This woodwork addiction has left me with the dreaded, I want more tools disease , which has resulted in non stop tool purchases for many years :D

Now I have to find a more permanent home for some, instead of in the house.
    So with a few bits of ply hanging around, I knocked up this as a place to keep them safe from harm in my shed:D

528159.JPG

528160.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone built a wooden bar outside in their garden yet

something for someone to try?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Am I right in thinking that all the weight is taken by that one knot in the rope at the bottom of that chair?

If that knot fails, there's a nice big bit of timber pointing right at your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The ol' tensegrity tables are all the rage at the moment. Some are amazing but yeah i wouldnt trust it as a chair myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

A good rule of thumb is avoid any woodworking youtube video with "Insane" in the title.

That's why I suggested it for someone else to try...

bamayang wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb is avoid any woodworking youtube video with "Insane" in the title.

and these days I'd add "river" and "resin" to the avoid list too!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

Cant understand the 'river' look, think it is the gammiest thing going.

bamayang wrote: »
    Cant understand the 'river' look, think it is the gammiest thing going.

I quite like the early examples when it was all about showing off either a void in the middle of a slab or flipping a slab that has been split down the middle and adding a glass river (or resin in fairness) to keep the slab's live edge in the furniture while still allowing for a practical, rectangular table but then it got fashionable and everyone started trying to out-do each other with less and less attractive rivers.

I think yer man at Manor Wood still has it right, his rivers and floods are all about highlighting the character of the original timber but jeez I can't see me ever searching for a "turquoise epoxy river waterfall table with gold fleck and LED lights" on YouTube!

In total contrast, here's the in-progress coffee table top I'm working on out of that uber punky ash:

At the moment I'm making a mini test stool from the same slab to try epoxy/acetone stabilising (the irony isn't lost on me :D )

• Advertisement

what's the music in the background?

what's the music in the background?

It's a remix of Some Feel Rain by Mint Julep:

They're a husband and wife duo; a few other tracks to check out: Aviary, Arristea, Days Gone By, The Promise, Save Your Season :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ha, yes! Every woodwork video that pops up on my facebook is someone ruining some lovely bit of wood by pouring epoxy all over it.

So I've a conundrum. I started making a planter box for outside the house ages ago. I'm nearly ready to put it out. Problem is the whole street just came together to build planters at the end of the road(terrible job but that's another story) and the little squares around the trees.

Everything is getting painted a grey/olive green colour. My problem is I've stained mine and did some mahogany inlay and everything. It's was just made from scraps so didn't cost much but I don't want to paint it the colour and ruin my finish.
    What would you do? Do I put it out still? Burn it? Sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

iamtony wrote: »
    What would you do? Do I put it out still? Burn it? Sell it?

:eek: Don't burn it! :eek:

From your thinly veiled criticism of the communal project, it sounds like their planters aren't going to stand the test of time, so I'd be inclined to put yours on hold until those others start looking tatty. Then lead by example and put out your decent quality work to show that you're taking the project seriously! ;)

In the meantime, can you put it in the back garden? Take some time to experiment with various planting compositions, perhaps find an arrangement that is so eye-catching in itself that the common savages don't notice how your woodwork is a different colour to everyone else's?

If you burn:eek::eek: the fruits of your labour of a woodcraft project,

then that qualifies you for a lifetime ban from this forum (drunk with power)

all those in favour say aye......:D:D

:eek: Don't burn it! :eek:

From your thinly veiled criticism of the communal project, it sounds like their planters aren't going to stand the test of time, so I'd be inclined to put yours on hold until those others start looking tatty. Then lead by example and put out your decent quality work to show that you're taking the project seriously! ;)

In the meantime, can you put it in the back garden? Take some time to experiment with various planting compositions, perhaps find an arrangement that is so eye-catching in itself that the common savages don't notice how your woodwork is a different colour to everyone else's?
    I've no problem with the project fairplay to them for organising it, it brightens up the place. It's just the timing:rolleyes:
    I'm gonna put mine out anyway feck it. I'm at the end of the cul-de-sac so mine won't break the line and if not going in the verge it in the centre of the road.

kadman wrote: »
    If you burn:eek::eek: the fruits of your labour of a woodcraft project,

then that qualifies you for a lifetime ban from this forum (drunk with power)

all those in favour say aye......:D:D

I'm sorry for Making the suggestion oh Holy one, I shall give myself 10 lashes to repent;)

FOXYE9r

http://imgur.com/gallery/FOXYE9r

Thats the planter in question above.

• Advertisement

are you allowed put a planter enclosing a street light?

Advertisement