Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I did see a reference to someone saying they got on a list to buy one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

I'd say the suppliers got cleaned out by the lockdown demand.

Maybe try buy-and-sell websites if you don't mind getting a second hand one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thought the below may be of interest to some people on here. Taken from the Bargain Alerts forum

Free health & Dexa scan

UCD Health Medicine Research Dept are doing a Dexa Scan, it’s a full body assessment which asses fitness levels, bone density, VO2, hand grip strength, blood tests/gases BMI, body fat % and other tests too & its free.
    Takes about an hour, well worth it, available to get done in either UCD or Pearse St.
    Currently being offered for free in return for using your data in their study

https://genofit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Deadlifts with a dodgy stomach after having your first curry in months the previous night is a game of Russian roulette I never want to play again.

There was a few reps towards the end where I was worried that isopropyl spray would be nowhere near enough to clean up after myself.

• Advertisement

Deadlifts with a dodgy stomach after having your first curry in months the previous night is a game of Russian roulette I never want to play again.

There was a few reps towards the end where I was worried that isopropyl spray would be nowhere near enough to clean up after myself.

Sounds like one where the carnage could could from either end.

Nothing squeezes you like a tube of toothpaste like deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sounds like one where the carnage could could from either end.

Nothing squeezes you like a tube of toothpaste like deadlifts.

I’d argue that squats do, especially when coming out of the hole. What a perfect pun :)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’d argue that squats do, especially when coming out of the hole. What a perfect pun :)

You don't see nearly as many videos of people spraying the centre judge during a squat as you do with deadlifts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Thought the below may be of interest to some people on here. Taken from the Bargain Alerts forum

Free health & Dexa scan

UCD Health Medicine Research Dept are doing a Dexa Scan, it’s a full body assessment which asses fitness levels, bone density, VO2, hand grip strength, blood tests/gases BMI, body fat % and other tests too & its free.
    Takes about an hour, well worth it, available to get done in either UCD or Pearse St.
    Currently being offered for free in return for using your data in their study

https://genofit.ie/

I've participated in this, and multiple family members have as well. Well worth it, I would highly recommend it, you get test results that are handy to know.

In particular, worth getting the bone density test done if you have any osteoarthritis in the family, and the dexa scan is also a more accurate finding in relation to your fat to lean muscle mass ratio than the types of tests most people might have undergone in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I have a squat rack on the way which will be going into a room with laminate flooring, so not the best grip.

Can anyone recommend any mats/flooring to put under it?

It's hard to get a sense of the quality from looking at them online but I'd be worried those interlocking foam ones might start slipping and/or breaking apart. I seem to remember someone recommending some kind of cow mat before, but I'm not sure if there's a particular type to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Essien wrote: »
    I have a squat rack on the way which will be going into a room with laminate flooring, so not the best grip.

Can anyone recommend any mats/flooring to put under it?

It's hard to get a sense of the quality from looking at them online but I'd be worried those interlocking foam ones might start slipping and/or breaking apart. I seem to remember someone recommending some kind of cow mat before, but I'm not sure if there's a particular type to look for.

Might be worth looking at horsestall mats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Might be worth looking at horsestall mats.

This is exactly what my gym uses.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

A 6" x 4" horse stall mat will cost about 45-50 euro. They're about 17mm thick.

You could cut one into 3 sections...one each for under the plates and one for standing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I find the 1m x 1m x 15mm crumb rubber mats that D8 and Blk Box sell are the best mats for a platform. I have 2 layers of those in my home gym and they’re very good.

Gymless on Adverts have the 25mm tiles (1m x 1m) for €28 a unit.

New 1kg tubs of Skyr in Aldi are a steal at €1.99.

This is the brand - https://elsdorfer.de/en/content/sigurdsson-englisch

Had to smile at their description :)

NATURAL – Skyr natural in a 450g cup or a 1kg bucket for heavy-users

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1kg bucket for heavy-users
    the containers are very useful, they are quite sturdy and usually PP so hold up to microwaving.

New 1kg tubs of Skyr in Aldi are a steal at €1.99.

This is the brand - https://elsdorfer.de/en/content/sigurdsson-englisch

Had to smile at their description :)

NATURAL – Skyr natural in a 450g cup or a 1kg bucket for heavy-users

Got one yesterday alright. Vanilla whey mixed through is a marriage made in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Got one too - lovely stuff! Only saw the 1kg though, would prefer 450g - must look next time

SuperValu also do a 0% fat greek now for 79cent per 500g tub - made by Glenisk but not quite as thick as theirs - only 7g of protein per 100g compared to the usual 10 but at the pricepoint it's a good option.

Got one too - lovely stuff! Only saw the 1kg though, would prefer 450g - must look next time

SuperValu also do a 0% fat greek now for 79cent per 500g tub - made by Glenisk but not quite as thick as theirs - only 7g of protein per 100g compared to the usual 10 but at the pricepoint it's a good option.

Aldi only doing the 1kg tubs. Very long dated expiry on them though. Even after opening, if resealed properly it should last for weeks in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aldi only doing the 1kg tubs. Very long dated expiry on them though. Even after opening, if resealed properly it should last for weeks in the fridge.

if slow to use it a tip is to have a clean jar ready upon opening it, fill to the brim and cap right away, then you are not exposing it all to contaminants every time you open the lid.

I make my own yogurt and ferment for much longer, this means its lower in sugar, higher in probiotics and higher in acid. The lack of sugars and higher levels of acid means it lasts ages.

Don't know who he is, someone might know him here, just saw it on twitter but Im impressed

https://twitter.com/irishlifter18/status/1306866913465819136

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rubadub wrote: »
    if slow to use it a tip is to have a clean jar ready upon opening it, fill to the brim and cap right away, then you are not exposing it all to contaminants every time you open the lid.

I make my own yogurt and ferment for much longer, this means its lower in sugar, higher in probiotics and higher in acid. The lack of sugars and higher levels of acid means it lasts ages.
    Whilst on the topic of yogurt, I'm sure most know this but I was peckish before bed last night so googled whether dairy before bed would be good/bad, turns out it's loaded with casein and helps with melatonin and seratonin production so it's perfect for sleep, fire in some nuts and blueberries and apparently the anti-oxidants are top notch for helping you sleep too.

So my favourite snack of greek yogurt, salted caramel protein whisked in, fruit and nuts is now being consumed nightly :)

D'Agger wrote: »
    Whilst on the topic of yogurt, I'm sure most know this but I was peckish before bed last night so googled whether dairy before bed would be good/bad, turns out it's loaded with casein and helps with melatonin and seratonin production so it's perfect for sleep, fire in some nuts and blueberries and apparently the anti-oxidants are top notch for helping you sleep too.

So my favourite snack of greek yogurt, salted caramel protein whisked in, fruit and nuts is now being consumed nightly :)

I got a bag of Casein recently , its grand added to yogurt but cant say its any different to regular protein powder

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Had my first bench failure in a long time yesterday, thankfully had the safeties at the right level. Doing heavy singles and got a sudden massive cramp in my lat and basically dropped the bar. Wouldnt have been fun if i hadnt of set the safeties right

silverharp wrote: »
    I got a bag of Casein recently , its grand added to yogurt but cant say its any different to regular protein powder

It takes longer to digest than regular, so it's slightly preferable to take before going to sleep (or anytime you're going to be without food for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

silverharp wrote: »
    I'm taking regular protein powder with it, only recently started putting it in yogurt because it's delicious but I was moreso sharing that the yogurt has natural casein protein in it, plus tryptophan which helps with seratonin and melatonin production. Just from googling there it seems there's casein proteins which include tryptophan - personally I've never used casein

Cill94 wrote: »
    It takes longer to digest than regular, so it's slightly preferable to take before going to sleep (or anytime you're going to be without food for a while).

I think there was a study on this where they added medicine to casein to mimic whey and the MPS was the same as normal casein with the conclusion being that casein didn't offer any real benefit over whey before sleep.

Which is interesting but also only one study.

Generally speaking, people who have casein at night are also getting more total daily protein on board so it may be that that in itself is the driving factor in studies.

I don't know...I find it interesting. And I always presume that supplement companies lean on casein being good overnight because it's another product line for them to promote.

I think there was a study on this where they added medicine to casein..

I think the science of it digesting slower is pretty certain, but as for direct evidence that it will actually lead to better gains than other protein sources, that’s more hazy. Human nutrition studies are a pain to control.

In the grand scheme, any benefit it could confer is really tiny compared to total daily protein intake and protein quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cill94 wrote: »
    I think the science of it digesting slower is pretty certain, but as for direct evidence that it will actually lead to better gains than other protein sources, that’s more hazy. Human nutrition studies are a pain to control.

In the grand scheme, any benefit it could confer is really tiny compared to total daily protein intake and protein quality.

Every time I see casein I get a little sad. It should have been cheese.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement