Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Galtees

• 29-06-2020 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭

I plan on doing the Galtees soon with a group of friends but have no idea where the best place is to start the route. We plan on two cars so there's no backtracking. East to West is probably most suitable so if someone can suggest parking and a starting point that would be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Wailin wrote: »
    I plan on doing the Galtees soon with a group of friends but have no idea where the best place is to start the route. We plan on two cars so there's no backtracking. East to West is probably most suitable so if someone can suggest parking and a starting point that would be helpful.

Are you going to walk the full length of the Galtees? From Cahir to Anglesborough?

518199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's some walk, 31km! If you're just wanting to do Galtymore and Galtybeg there's a circular option starting at Clydagh Bridge taking in Slievecushnabinnia on the way and Knockastakeen and Cush on the way back, only 18km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Not the full range, but would like to take in the highest peaks as Alun above mentioned. So where would I start and finish Alun?

The Galtymore, Galtybeg & Cush loop is my regular walk. Track 3481 on Mountainviews.

This track goes up the Lough Curra gully, rather than the slog through heather that is Slievecushnabinnia.

There's loads of parking available at the trailhead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, we're usually on a trip from Dublin/Wicklow if we ever visit the Galtees so like to make the most of it and take in as much as possible. I can't remember Slievecushnabinnia being that bad when we were there last, but then heather bashing is in our blood :)

But if you want something simpler, then as EndaHonesty said, https://mountainviews.ie/track/3481/ and plenty of parking at the trail head at Clydagh Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks guys, looking forward to it!

There's plenty of parking at the trailhead if you're going during the week or starting early (8 - 9) of a Saturday/Sunday morning.

It has become extremly busy since Covid lockdown was lifted resuting in cars being parked erratically and causing a nuicance to those working farms up Glencush Boreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

As said you don't need a different start and end point.
    The horseshoe has very little back tracking

Galtymore-600x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Alright lads,

Can you bring a dog on the galtee mountains does anyone know?

Thanks

Del007 wrote: »
    Alright lads,

Can you bring a dog on the galtee mountains does anyone know?

Thanks

There are sheep on the Galtees so dogs are not allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement