Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - construction toy I had in the 1980's

• 21-04-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but can anyone help me in identifying a construction based toy that was released in the 1980/90's, I think.

I had it when I was a child and it was like Meccano but plastic (it was not the plastic Meccano). It was like the Rvitron toy that was taken off the market but different. The below are the details I can remember:

- yellow plastic bars used to build models (I think a racing car was one model you could build.
    - the plastic bars had holes in them, very like Meccano but instead of screws and bolts you used back plastic clips that connected the holes of two yellow bars together.
    - the black clips were stored in a red box that had a lid with loads of holes where you could place the clips to ready them for use.
    - There was screwdriver like tool that allowed you to insert and remove the clips. This could also have been red in colour.
    - I think there was a grey wind up or electric box that the yellow bars could connect too to power the models.

That's all I can remember, any ideas what this toy was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Linkits? Matchbox made them and I remember my older brother used to have a bunch of them. What you're describing sounds a lot like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

Danco wrote: »
    Linkits? Matchbox made them and I remember my older brother used to have a bunch of them. What you're describing sounds a lot like them.

It's not Linkits. Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

user1842 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but can anyone help me in identifying a construction based toy that was released in the 1980/90's, I think.

I had it when I was a child and it was like Meccano but plastic (it was not the plastic Meccano). It was like the Rvitron toy that was taken off the market but different. The below are the details I can remember:

- yellow plastic bars used to build models (I think a racing car was one model you could build.
    - the plastic bars had holes in them, very like Meccano but instead of screws and bolts you used back plastic clips that connected the holes of two yellow bars together.
    - the black clips were stored in a red box that had a lid with loads of holes where you could place the clips to ready them for use.
    - There was screwdriver like tool that allowed you to insert and remove the clips. This could also have been red in colour.
    - I think there was a grey wind up or electric box that the yellow bars could connect too to power the models.

That's all I can remember, any ideas what this toy was?

Hi, I believe i also had this toy myself, the red tool had a button\trigger on it you pushed in. I cannot remember the name of it. but i believe this photo is of the set or similar to the set, because i recognize the storage box with all the holes in it that was used for holding the black studs.

70a5a5cd2549e256ef8be592f64b8fae.jpg

Hi, I believe i also had this toy myself, the red tool had a button\trigger on it you pushed in. I cannot remember the name of it. but i believe this photo is of the set or similar to the set, because i recognize the storage box with all the holes in it that was used for holding the black studs.

70a5a5cd2549e256ef8be592f64b8fae.jpg

That is it. Thank you very much.

yeh i still cant find any other images or the name of it though, i can picture the red tool with the trigger for pushing the black clips in !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think I remember that. There was a tool that looked like a stubby screwdriver that was used for holding/inserting the little studs/pins.
    Not a clue what the name of it was mind

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Had this on myself as well.
    A Parker brothers creation if I remember right (though that's far from certain).
    It wasn't Riveton, but it was definitely related.

Bolt'n'Build? Remember a space shuttle I built mid 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

blaris wrote: »
    Bolt'n'Build? Remember a space shuttle I built mid 1980s.

That's the one I was thinking of anyway.

Vintage-Action-GT-Bolt-N-Build-Construction-Set-_57.jpg

Thats it! I couldnt think of the name of it the other day, brilliant.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thank you so much everyone.

Advertisement