Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Benbaun

• 28-08-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

We're hoping to climb Benbaun tomorrow.
    I had planned to park at Glencorbet, but I'm wondering will the Kylemore River be passable tomorrow after all the rain this week and today?

Plan B then would be to park further along the road and go up Knockpasheemore and along the ridge.
    But there's a severe lack of parking along the road.
    Also what's Knockpasheemorelike underfoot? Is it bog or stone?

Plan C would be to go the Gleninagh/Fountainhill side.
    There's a good road/track that brings you a long way into the valley and the gradient looks reasonable.
    But nobody has ever mentioned climbing it from that side?

3D3KITs.png

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Answering my above questions in case anyone comes across them in the future.

We went via Glencorbet.
    Locals in the houses there were friendly and said no problems parking.
    We'd found out elsewhere that the residents of Gleninagh valley to the south are ok with hikers, but not with people parking.

If you want to check the water level in rivers in an area in advance, this OPW website helps
    https://waterlevel.ie/

But our attempt to cross dryfoot was scuppered by a (not so) helpful hiker who literally stuck her oar (pole) in while I was successfully guiding my son across the stones and we had to return to the car to get dry footwear. He strolled across the 2nd time in his wet ones and shorts and I think that's the best way for adults as well.
    Even when the river is low, the rocks are slippy and it's safest and easiest to slip on a pair of old runners for the crossing and leave them there for the return trip.
    We met one guy who looked like he'd taken a tumble midstream.

After crossing the stream, follow the track up to the final farmyard that says 'private property' and go left up the mountain via the field that has gates at either end.
    Once on the mountain, we made a beeline for the top up the grassy ridge, but that turned out to be quite steep. I wouldn't fancy it wet.
    On the way back down we came down earlier on the stone, and picked up a path about 100m above the farmhouse that traversed the various gullies.
    I think that would have been an easier way up also.

Clear on the top, with an amazing variety of views in every direction.

Advertisement