Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I wish you luck with that!

Wicklow Co Co is to road maintenance what North Korea is to modern states!

On non-NRA-funded roads their maintenance of lines and signs is sub-third world; even their stretches of the NRA-funded N11 are dotted with broken street lights - when you cross the county line from DL into Wicklow on the M11 it's like taking a trip back in time.

This may be off-topic :o
    Wexford is even worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

jca wrote: »
    Wexford is even worse...

having moved from wicklow to wexford, I dont agree, wicklow is in a standard ! all if its own

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wexford is even worse...

Back roads in Wexford are desperate. Crater ridden, massive potholes everywhere.

road_high wrote: »
    Back roads in Wexford are desperate. Crater ridden, massive potholes everywhere.

the ones in wicklow have potholes with on ramps

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

I dunno, it seems that in both counties, if you stray off the main arterial routes, the quality deteriorates significantly .....this is probably to do with recent budget cuts...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I dunno, it seems that in both counties, if you stray off the main arterial routes, the quality deteriorates significantly .....this is probably to do with recent budget cuts...

Not in the case of Wicklow. Their maintenance of road markings in Bray and Greystones was pathetic even at the height of the boom.

In fact most Local Authorities are performing better in the recession than Wicklow ever did in the "money no object" days!

Just look at the condition of the Bray Southern Cross for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

the southern cross is a very good point in fairness!...i don't know about many other counties than the surrounding ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In fact most Local Authorities are performing better in the recession than Wicklow ever did in the "money no object" days!
    And yet they still play to the gallery by reducing the LPT, thus reducing their available budget even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

From the Wexford people, Brendan Howlin interview
    wrote:
    "In terms of infrastructure, which is something I have control over, this year work will start on the Enniscorthy bypass so you'll have traffic on bypasses from Larne to Oylegate by 2017."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

BoatMad wrote: »
    the ones in wicklow have potholes with on ramps

That's the council boys handy work.... The shovel of tar in the rain, macadam is turning in his grave:pac:

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    And yet they still play to the gallery by reducing the LPT, thus reducing their available budget even further.

I'm not sure the problem is lack of funds - it's general incompetence. Taking the full LPT would only be throwing more taxpayers money down the drain.

Part of the problem is that "the gallery" seem to oblivious to the third world condition of local road maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Setting out for the motorway on the East of the town continuing,they are near Oylegate at this stage.

I'm open to correction but is Enniscorthy the first town to be bypassed on 2 sides?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zerks wrote: »
    Setting out for the motorway on the East of the town continuing,they are near Oylegate at this stage.

I'm open to correction but is Enniscorthy the first town to be bypassed on 2 sides?

I think Mitchelstown has a bypass to the west and the M8 to the East

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dundalk, sort of - M1 to the west, original bypass to the east. Mitchelstown is also correct.

Nearly everywhere else double-bypassed has them on the same side, Roscrea/Cahir/Enfield etc.

That's the council boys handy work.... The shovel of tar in the rain, macadam is turning in his grave:pac:
    \

god no , they dont touch a shovel in wicklow. have you not seen the knacky spray tar and chip machine with the adjustable boom, the lads dont have to get out into the cold nor nothing,

of course the next car or truck , rips the `repair `' up and flings it into the ditch , but hey thats just means they have to round again,

around me they did the same pothole three times

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I didn't notice any fencing at the Gorey bypass end, perhaps it is because it is joining before the end of the current bypass and the fencing is out of sight. Do you know if it is now completed end to end?

Also anyone hear any news on how close they are to signing the contract and starting or is it still 'Summer'. I wouldn't be surprised if any 'news' is announced in conjunction with the Arklow-Rathnew opening.

PoolDude wrote: »
    I didn't notice any fencing at the Gorey bypass end, perhaps it is because it is joining before the end of the current bypass and the fencing is out of sight. Do you know if it is now completed end to end?

Also anyone hear any news on how close they are to signing the contract and starting or is it still 'Summer'. I wouldn't be surprised if any 'news' is announced in conjunction with the Arklow-Rathnew opening.

Not sure about Gorey area but stakes are planted all around Enniscorthy as far as Oylegate on the East side and Templescoby where it joins the N30 on the West side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dublintutoring

The erection of boundary posts is now completed along the route. Posts on the Gorey side can be seen on a hillside about 1 km north of the Clough roundabout.
    As for a start date, probably December or later.

The erection of boundary posts is now completed along the route. Posts on the Gorey side can be seen on a hillside about 1 km north of the Clough roundabout.

Sounds good - but I recall the CPO and boundary fences on the Rathnew - Arklow section were completed in about 2005 - and the road is still under construction!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Sounds good - but I recall the CPO and boundary fences on the Rathnew - Arklow section were completed in about 2005 - and the road is still under construction!

So on those contracts fencing was done by separate contractor from actual company building the road.

How, come that on M17/M18 fencing is done only now in the construction phase by the final building contractor.

Who decides when fencing should be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dublintutoring

Geogregor wrote: »
    Who decides when fencing should be done?

IT depends on the project I suppose. It's probably between the council, NRA and landowners coming to an agreement. No point in fencing off the CPO years in advance as it is still usable farmland in many cases

IT depends on the project I suppose. It's probably between the council, NRA and landowners coming to an agreement. No point in fencing off the CPO years in advance as it is still usable farmland in many cases

In the case of the Rathnew - Arklow scheme in many cases the farmers continued grazing animals and growing things inside the fence for years until the work started.

Any further insight on December start date?

I had thought it was expected towards the end of the Summer around September but have nothing more than paper talk to base that on

Fencing has started along parts of the site,spotted some at Solsborough yesterday.

Any news on this?

With Arklow-Rathnew completing it would be great to hear this was due to sign and start to continue the progress on euroroute 1

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

No news yet. Contractor is in negotiations as I understand it.
    NRA likely to want to get it signed before end July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Report in today's Wexford people that contracts still not signed and the construction will not start until very late 2015, or more likely 2016. They say construction on both projects should be finished by 2018. There is even a chance that the Enniscorthy scheme may start first. I'll link to the article when it is online later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote: »
    Report in today's Wexford people that contracts still not signed and the construction will not start until very late 2015, or more likely 2016. They say construction on both projects should be finished by 2018. There is even a chance that the Enniscorthy scheme may start first. I'll link to the article when it is online later this week.

Article On line now
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/start-date-on-new-ross-and-enniscorthy-bypasses-delayed-31289478.html

jd wrote: »

I'd heard this news about a week or so ago,it was just word of mouth from one of the sub contractors so I said I'd wait to see if there was an official announcement.Spring 2016 is the start date now instead of September this year,besides a hold up in contracts they don't want to start late in the year and have to face into Winter with all the earth moving to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The day the EIB signs the money over is the day the contracts will be signed, that's what happened with the M17/M18.
    According to the dates of approval New Ross bypass should be first to start.

http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

Advertisement