Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info. I did physics, Chem and bio for leaving getting 2 Bs and 1A at higher level. I also hold a degree and a masters. Would be interested in UCD and RCSI, but think it would prob be the 6yr degree as my LC was 15 years ago! But that extra year in college wpyld make a big difference to my decision making processes unfortunately. I wonder how many skipped the first year and why? Am I right in thinking there are 5 mature places in trinity, 20 in RCSI and 2 in UCD? Thanks so much again :)

If you have a minimum 2:1 in your primary degree, whatever the discipline, you can sit the GAMSAT and apply for Grad Med, which is 4 years.

There used to be 5 places in Trinity, it was increased to 8, but I am not sure any more - check with the mature students officer. http://www.tcd.ie/study/assets/pdf/Undergraduate-Medicine-EU-Applicants-2015.pdf https://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/contact/
    Not sure about RCSI, but it looks like 15 http://www.rcsi.ie/mature-medicine
    UCD appears to offer up to 2 places a year, but some years don't offer any. They have the Grad Med route and seem to prefer people to follow that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks again for all the info guys!

Abby I studied my primary in a different country. It was a 3 year bachelor degree. I got is assessed for Gamsat by the NQA which they deemed was a high Level 8. But then when I wrote to UCD and sent in my transcripts they assessed it as only a level 7 and said I would not be eligible for GAMSAT. I told them I had received my NQA cert and they replied that the NQA was not always accurate! A bit stupid considering UCD were the ones who told me to go to the NQA in the first place to get it assessed for eligibility! Anyways, that's why I think I would have to go mature route. Unless I sent my Certs and transcripts to TCD and RCSI independently and got their opinion aswell.... Awkward situation as i don't want to do GAMSAT and then be told I'm
    Not eligible based on my degree... And visa versa with the HPAT and mature route!

Again, thank you to the last 2 posters. You've been very informative.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the info guys!

Abby I studied my primary in a different country. It was a 3 year bachelor degree. I got is assessed for Gamsat by the NQA which they deemed was a high Level 8. But then when I wrote to UCD and sent in my transcripts they assessed it as only a level 7 and said I would not be eligible for GAMSAT. I told them I had received my NQA cert and they replied that the NQA was not always accurate! A bit stupid considering UCD were the ones who told me to go to the NQA in the first place to get it assessed for eligibility! Anyways, that's why I think I would have to go mature route. Unless I sent my Certs and transcripts to TCD and RCSI independently and got their opinion aswell.... Awkward situation as i don't want to do GAMSAT and then be told I'm
    Not eligible based on my degree... And visa versa with the HPAT and mature route!

Again, thank you to the last 2 posters. You've been very informative.

I don't know how to go about it, but if you could get clarification between the NFA and RCSI/UCD as to what level your degree is, it could be worth your while.
    So say for example it is classed as a level 7, and it is more than 5 years since you studied, I think you might be eligible for free fees as going for a level 8 means you would be progressing.
    Of course this depends on your residency as to whether you might be eligible for free fees. I stand to be corrected on this but it might be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Abby19 wrote: »
    I don't know how to go about it, but if you could get clarification between the NFA and RCSI/UCD as to what level your degree is, it could be worth your while.
    So say for example it is classed as a level 7, and it is more than 5 years since you studied, I think you might be eligible for free fees as going for a level 8 means you would be progressing.
    Of course this depends on your residency as to whether you might be eligible for free fees. I stand to be corrected on this but it might be a possibility.

The NQA already deemed it a level 8 degree and i have a certificate for this from them. However, UCD said its not a level 8 and I wouldn't be eligible for GAMSAT. I do have residency here. Am Irish. It's just a pain. I think I'll just show RCSI my transcripts and the cert from the NQAI and see what they say....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Physiograd

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Hope it goes well for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

hi guys
    has any body else got the email from trinity asking for cv or saying ur application has been unsuccessful? i heard some guys got the email! and btw what is every one feel about hpat ? i think it was a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Yeah I thought the HPAT was quite difficult; especially sections 1 and 3... I'm not particularly hopeful to be honest.

Are you sure some people were rejected by TCD already? They asked me for my CV but I assumed they would have asked everyone for one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

ronivek wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the HPAT was quite difficult; especially sections 1 and 3... I'm not particularly hopeful to be honest.

Are you sure some people were rejected by TCD already? They asked me for my CV but I assumed they would have asked everyone for one....
    Yeah, I got a rejection, but I knew that was coming anyway because they don't accept Physics/Chemistry combined or Agricultural Science as science subjects for entry when you're mature for some reason, but still applied in case I get in on normal entry (not banking on that after my HPAT performance though)

Sorry to hear that; did you apply anywhere else?

Sorry to hear that; did you apply anywhere else?

TCD -> UCD -> RCSI -> UCC -> NUIG

I was always going to be rejected from TCD as a mature, but still put them as first preference in case I do amazing in the HPAT and get enough points to get in with that and my Leaving Cert scores

• Advertisement

Nice to have both options; unfortunately I only have the mature route as a possibility.

Nice to have both options; unfortunately I only have the mature route as a possibility.

I got 535 in my Leaving Cert a few years ago so will basically be depending on the mature route, too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

Hey guys, hope HPAT went well, I found section 3 a bit iffy, screwed up my timing :(.

I've only applied to RCSI this year via the mature pathway - does anyone know when we get the email to send in our documents if we're selected? Or has it already gone out? :(

Well I've had no communication from RCSI but I didn't do great in the HPAT either. I think it's usually closer to the beginning of April before any mails go out though.

As far as I'm aware, at the RCSI mature open evening, the admissions officer stated that there would be less emphasis on the HPAT, and it's more dependent on personal statement, transcript, refs, etc. for interview selection.

Also I'm starting to get a bit worried as since we send these documents into RCSI directly, I barely wrote anything about my volunteer work, interests, etc on my CAO application. I'm only applying to RCSI though, so I figured since I'll be sending them in directly it didn't really matter as on the CAO website, they stated how it's not their responsibility to cross check documents. I've heard this is the case from one person I know in mature med in RCSI, but now I'm starting to freak out a bit. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about this no? I would be extremely grateful as my head is going 90 right now :(

As far as I'm aware, at the RCSI mature open evening, the admissions officer stated that there would be less emphasis on the HPAT, and it's more dependent on personal statement, transcript, refs, etc. for interview selection.

Also I'm starting to get a bit worried as since we send these documents into RCSI directly, I barely wrote anything about my volunteer work, interests, etc on my CAO application. I'm only applying to RCSI though, so I figured since I'll be sending them in directly it didn't really matter as on the CAO website, they stated how it's not their responsibility to cross check documents. I've heard this is the case from one person I know in mature med in RCSI, but now I'm starting to freak out a bit. I don't suppose anyone knows anything about this no? I would be extremely grateful as my head is going 90 right now :(

Not sure whether to contact RCSI about it

I wouldn't worry too much about it; as you said RCSI usually ask for applicants to leave their documents in to them directly.

There's no harm contacting them to be sure though.

Hey guys, hope HPAT went well, I found section 3 a bit iffy, screwed up my timing :(.

I've only applied to RCSI this year via the mature pathway - does anyone know when we get the email to send in our documents if we're selected? Or has it already gone out? :(

I sent in all my documents to the CAO by February 1st

Healium wrote: »
    I sent in all my documents to the CAO by February 1st

RCSI will ask for the documents to be sent directly to them. This is a good thing - the format when any information is printed out from the CAO application is pretty disastrous. You can use this opportunity to format everything so it is easy to read and looks professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mir71

Abby19 wrote: »
    RCSI will ask for the documents to be sent directly to them. This is a good thing - the format when any information is printed out from the CAO application is pretty disastrous. You can use this opportunity to format everything so it is easy to read and looks professional.

Hi,
    any idea when RCSI will ask for the documents?
    tks

• Advertisement

mir71 wrote: »
    Hi,
    tks

Not sure sorry - check out this thread from previous years - there's always a flurry of posts when they are requested and it might give you a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

mir71 wrote: »
    Hi,
    tks

They generally send out a letter around 1st week of April

I have a friend received the email for further documentation from RCSI on 25 of march last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

jody24 wrote: »
    I have a friend received the email for further documentation from RCSI on 25 of march last year!!

I received an email from them on the 25th March last year too.

yoppo wrote: »
    I received an email from them on the 25th March last year too.

yoppo , did u get interview last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

jody24 wrote: »
    yoppo , did u get interview last year?

Nope, HPAT was abysmal. I'm in Kosice studying medicine but I am thinking of deferring 2nd year and studying for the HPAT once again.

Does anyone know are we required to send in our academic transcripts to RCSI? It didn't specify that under the documents list

Does anyone know are we required to send in our academic transcripts to RCSI? It didn't specify that under the documents list

hi beansandtoast, have you received the rcsi email?

Hey Jody, no I haven't. I was just wondering if we needed to submit our original transcripts.

I rang the admissions office there and Celeste said that we have to submit our transcripts if we attended a third level institution. I also asked her when the emails/letters would be sent out and and she said soon - assuming within the next week or two. Hope that helps

• Advertisement

Just about April now; HPAT results should be soon, too. Eeeek. :eek:

Advertisement