Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭893bet

Will be surprised if the watch ever returns to bracelet or leather!

I'm ok at removing the bracelet thanks to a nice small screwdriver, but gotta watch the scratches.

Looks well though.

Yeah added a couple of scratches but will service this year so don't mind too much.

Gonna invest in a good spring bar tool as I only have a cheapie one.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I've never seen a PO on leather. Trying to imagine mine like that.

Let us know what springbar tool you get - need one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

893bet wrote: »
    Yeah added a couple of scratches but will service this year so don't mind too much.

Gonna invest in a good spring bar tool as I only have a cheapie one.

Insulation tape over the lugs prior to any work is a good idea if you want to avoid scratches. I always have a roll in my watch kit box.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92360475&postcount=2774

That's mine on orange alligator. I don't think the Orange would go with any other leather.

Wil prob just get a bergeon spring bar tool of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have a Bergeon Spring bar tool and even with it the PO was difficult to Change.

The trick is get one of the ends out and then put some cardboard in it to keep it locked out and then move to the other end.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have mine on a dark tan OEM croc. I have seen then on Hirsch Medici with curved ends too IIRC.

I used to put my Speedmaster on a Hirsch Medici too...looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I used to put my Speedmaster on a Hirsch Medici too...looked great.

And somehow you forgot to post a picture of it? :)

Somehow (why?) I sold it.

It takes a while and a bit of experimentation with a few other watches, but that Speedmaster Professional (now owned by TedR here) was perfect in many ways. I can foresee another one in due course.

FdP

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I must post a picture of said Speedmaster one of these days, I have scraped past the 50 post mark there a while back so I can do that now :-)
    Watch going well, still on classic Omega steel bracelet

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tP4PO0k.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do love a digital display I do. Quadruple that for a negative one. Very cool C. Loving the screw heads with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

latest addition, radiomir 183 out, 1950s luminor 312 in with the in house auto movement and date,

have an asso strap on its way to replace the black gator

32648AC7-69AB-4F12-8BE1-CC5FA8F04627_zps09ixnaw4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Lovely Niall.. Let me know if you decide its a flipper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I received a steinhart ocean 1 black with ceramic inlay last week and got a new watch box today so thought I would share a pic!

2nqef0j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

scwazrh wrote: »
    I received a steinhart ocean 1 black with ceramic inlay last week and got a new watch box today so thought I would share a pic!

You now need to tell us what they all are

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

We got us a seiko lover from what I can see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

You now need to tell us what they all are

You don't have to twist my arm !

Back row from left -
    Seiko chronograph with 7t62 movement , not sure of model.
    Seiko Sna 225
    Seiko Sna 413
    Tag Heuer indy 500 - 2006 model
    Seiko snzf47

Front row from left-
    Seiko sne109 - it came with a rubber strap but i have it on a shark mesh and think it really adds to it
    Seiko skx007
    Tissot tradition T063.610.11.037.00
    seiko snn079
    Raymond weil Toccata 5588/st600001

Bottom row -
    Seiko Kinetic - no idea of model ,got it as a gift in 95 or 96 i think.Still works perfect
    Steinhart ocean 1 black with ceramic inlay -

The emergency just back from a service with Breitling and looks tiny beside the cave dweller!!

IMG_1071.jpg

Using my one-in, one-out policy, I have sold an Omega and gained a Rolex Datejust II. So far I am loving it.

IMG_20150308_001130_edit_zpscdimaowq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

^^^^^
    79e811671cfb0669aa014831a61cfeba.jpg

For Ryath then, to save any neck strain..!

IMG_20150307_160426_edit_zpshn9fzyew.jpg

Blue rubber just landed for the skyfall. Not sure if it will fit though but was fairly cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Another Russian has arrived. A Luch this time, which is looking well considering the inscription on the back is dated 1968.

Luch02.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's been a while(well...) since I wittered on, so...

A goodly chunk of my Longines watch stash. Quite the spread in timekeeping tech and fashion over the years.

k37qj5.jpg

From the left, 1916 trench, 1971 Ultraquartz(AKA the vibrating marital aid with a dial :D), 1952 tank, 1972 Ultronic diver, 1986 Conquest VHP.

The VHP(Very High Precision quartz) is pretty much always on the nose with atomic time. They were originally advertised as being within a minute every five years. Has the handy feature of being able to change the hour hand/timezone without stopping the watch. The others aren't too shabby at all timekeeping wise. I haven't reset them for well over a month(except for the tank).

The Ultraquartz is slightly behind, but you'd want to be looking fierce close to see it. Noticeably temp sensitive though. Runs slightly fast on the wrist, slightly slow off, which cancels things out. Not surprising though as the natural quartz crystal in these is nigh on 18-20mm long in the shape of a hand done and "tuned" diamond cut bar. IMHO these took way more knowledge and skill and different technical disciplines compared to the mechanicals of the time and indeed now. Even the best of the best Patek watchmaker would need a stiff drink or three before getting into one of these. So much so that in the Longines repair manuals of the time, there were no individual spares, the whole movement was a single part number. And their RRP reflected this new and complex tech. Adjusting for inflation these would have run around six to eight grand today when they were first sold. Funny enough these were considered "cheaper". The Beta 21 quartz yokes from Omega and the like were near double that.

TL;DR? It's cybernetic FFS. Cyber fecking netic. Nuff said. They had me at that TBH.

The Ultronic funny enough is pretty much spot on and well under the minute per month they were advertised as. More like 2 or three minutes per year. These were close to a third more the price of an Omega Speedmaster at the time(185 dollars V 300 dollars). You may notice the date is off and stuck on 3 in the pic. Common issue with these as the placcy teeth can age, go brittle and wear away, doubly so if you try to manually change the date between 8PM and 2AM. This one sometimes sticks on the 3/4 changeover, but can be manually moved forward. Just goes to show how often I look at the date. :) Interestingly, or not, this had not one single service from when it was bought in 1972, to the year before I got it(2014). And it was a daily wearer by a chap who was the real outdoors type. Biking, hiking, mountaineering. Even went snorkelling with it. These ESA mosaba movements are tough.

The old fart trench watch runs about 20-30 seconds fast per month(dial up or wearing during the day, dial down overnight), which is downright bloody amazing for its age and lack of recent service :o(never mind that it was a daily wearer for me for many a year through all sorts of stresses). In practical terms if you only reset the time for the clocks going forward and backward, you'd be pretty safe in the knowledge that you'd be within a minute or two of atomic time.

The tank runs around a minute per week fast, but seems to be consistent enough so might well regulate better(unreal power reserve for such a small "dress" watch, easily goes for three days on a wind).

OK, I swear under ten word posts for a while... :o:D

*So when you read ebay sellers or dealers telling you that their sale watch "runs within a few minutes per day as you would expect for a vintage watch", see it for the BS it is. IMHO anything under a minute either way per day means it needs work. My early 30's Zenith at one time after some real fancy balance work and such by a very old watchmaker was easily within COSC chronometer ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

There is something about cheap Casio's, I bought this as a replacement for my Casio f91w that I've used for years.... Its a beater for daily use and has similar functionality to a G shock minus the premium shock protection. World time, 5 alarms, mini analogue clock(the circular section on the watch face). €28, job done! I can reserve my other watches for occasions now.

[IMG][/img]IMG_20150312_165429221.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20150312_165727832_HDR.jpg

Lume shot of the Datejust II. This was after about thirty seconds in the sun. Spanish sun to be sure, but still the immediate effect is good.

IMG_20150314_124911_zpsdxu0dlpc.jpg

Thinly veiled "I have a very cool Rolex and am in Spain. In the sun". :D Great pic F.

Nothing thinly veiled about that at all :D