Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealz

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

_Chaos wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the 1.50 store in the ilac that was joined to Iceland?
    Are they just remodeling? It's always so busy when I've been in there, it's hard to believe it's the doing of the recession?

The company that ran those shops / HomeSavers sold the Iceland stores back to the parent firm so it is likely related to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

_Chaos wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the 1.50 store in the ilac that was joined to Iceland?
    Are they just remodeling? It's always so busy when I've been in there, it's hard to believe it's the doing of the recession?

Apparently it and Iceland are closed and are being turned into a big TK Maxx...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Aren't all their dvds and music cds secondhand? I've notice that in the cork store anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

NickDunne wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you use Carplan/Prodriver antifreeze? They're Ethylene based like any other and at 50% ratio is good for -34. I doubt we'll ever see that temperature here and I'm not exactly precious about a 96 micra ;)

Its probably fine in your micra but most newer vehicle specify or even require OAT or hybrid OAT for german cars. Ethylene glycol is old fashioned poisonous and they are probably using old fashioned corrosion inhibitors which are inappropriate for a lot of modern engines, needs to be changed every 2 years vs 5 years for a quality propylene glycol OAT or hybrid OAT one so the saving is nothing and it may result in corrosion costing you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sciprio wrote: »
    Aren't all their dvds and music cds secondhand? I've notice that in the cork store anyway.

Nope. Thought that too at first but they have new/unopened/unviewed DVDs made up largely from overstocks and deletions from distributors AND 2nd hand DVDs too that are recycled.

The new ones sell for €1.49, the 2nd hand typically for €3 - crazy if you think about it on one level!

I was reading about overstocks in cds/dvds/blu rays recently. When a movie bombs and doesn't do the expected business at the box office the dvds etc have already been manufactured to the expected gross ratio. So say for example they expect a film to do £10m sterling in the UK and Ireland. Movie does £0.5m…..but they've already manufactured say 200,000 DVDs for the subsequent DVD release. So they now have 200,000 copies of a dvd they'll have huge difficulty selling.

So they sell 20,000 copies to amazon/HMV etc. at full price at launch (typically £5-7 each for a £14-19.99 DVD….. and 6months later cut their losses sell the remaining 180,000 copies at overstocks auctions to companies like deals etc. at £0.01 each. So the likes of Dealz etc. can sell them at €1.49 and still make a huge margin.

Overstocks and deletions make up large parts of bricks and mortar stock for sales for DVDs and cds etc.

When you're browsing this kind of stuff though 99% of the DVDs etc tend to be muck (they're that cheap for a reason) but on occasion you will strike gold. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

January wrote: »
    Apparently it and Iceland are closed and are being turned into a big TK Maxx...

The shop was invested with rats, quote from close friends and fromer employers of Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

but1er wrote: »
    The shop was invested with rats, quote from close friends and fromer employers of Iceland

Did they not make good business partners, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sciprio wrote: »
    Aren't all their dvds and music cds secondhand?
    You will see them labelled "replay", more info here

http://www.thatsentertainment.co.uk/what_reply.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

but1er wrote: »

Saw one in the pound shop next door to Iceland. Thought it was a trick of the imagination! :eek:

Someone posted on here a while back that they got "Hick" on DVD, and a book on The Hacienda in Dealz. Anyone spotted these? I'd actually like both but to date haven't been able to find either. If any fellow boardsie spots either could they pick me up one and I'll happily reimburse and a little extra? Ta!

220px-Hick_film_poster.jpg

Not 100% positive this is the book that was referred to but hoping it is:
    the_hacienda_how_not_to_run_a_club_450.jpg

Bump….anyone spot either of the above…..pretty please!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Walkers crisps 5 pack €1.49 or end of aisle promotion a 20 pack for €2.00
    Yet people were still buying the 5 packs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

ill have a look when i go again. ill pm you if i find them

daytob wrote: »
    ill have a look when i go again. ill pm you if i find them

Yay! Thanks a mill! Really appreciate that ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've been looking for that Hacienda book every time I go into the Queen's Old Castle store in Cork. Never seen it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I've been looking for that Hacienda book every time I go into the Queen's Old Castle store in Cork. Never seen it yet though.

it was a few months ago i picked up one in Dublin, i get the impression they only have a book in stock for a certain time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Just got nine rolls of bogroll for 1.49 in dealz midleton! Sweet fkn deal!

gQR7wgYl.jpg

That beats Saturday's Lidl offer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Just got nine rolls of bogroll for 1.49 in dealz midleton! Sweet fkn deal!

gQR7wgYl.jpg

That's a sh1t hot deal! Prices are really starting to bottom out on the whole. This could wipe the competition.

Lyons Green Label Tea Bags 240 Pack €6.00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Dealz is great for dried mealworms.1 euro 49 for a pack.Same size pack is 3 euro 75 in Tesco.:eek:

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lyons Green Label Tea Bags 240 Pack €6.00
    Eurogiant are selling 320 Tetley round teabags for 6 euo.They are even nicer than Lyons green label.as I like me cuppa Lyons but the Tetley are even nicer to drink.

TheSun today costs €1
    paWTSVcl.jpg?1

snubbleste wrote: »
    TheSun today costs €1
    paWTSVcl.jpg?1
    Whats the Tc and Cs though?

Simply €3 off a €18 shop until 12/03

Worth noting that Tesco may honour this coupon
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89218849&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Got a wifi bluetooth dongle in Dealz tonight for €1.49. At last I can send stuff from my phone to my laptop without a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

athtrasna wrote: »
    Got a wifi dongle in Dealz tonight for €1.49. At last I can send stuff from my phone to my laptop without a cable.

Is that a bluetooth USB stick thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

D Trent wrote: »
    Is that a bluetooth USB stick thing?

Exactly...sorry...long day and word association lead to me typing the wrong thing. It's a semi-circle about the size of half a 10c coin, with a USB connection. Turns my non-bluetooth enabled laptop into a bluetooth receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

athtrasna wrote: »
    Exactly...sorry...long day and word association lead to me typing the wrong thing. It's a semi-circle about the size of half a 10c coin, with a USB connection. Turns my non-bluetooth enabled laptop into a bluetooth receiver.

I kno the one paid €8 for mine I was livid wen I saw it in Dealz for €1.49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They have HDMI cables etc in there for €1.49.

Advertisement