Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plug/sockets that work with hue

• 18-10-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a number of hue bulbs and love them. I am currently building a man cave& pergola attached and Wondering are there any smart plugs/ smart plug sockets that will work with Philips hue
    I don’t really want to have another type of controller if possible .
    Thanks in advance
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jem wrote: »
    Hi I have a number of hue bulbs and love them. I am currently building a man cave& pergola attached and Wondering are there any smart plugs/ smart plug sockets that will work with Philips hue
    I don’t really want to have another type of controller if possible .
    Thanks in advance
    J

If you have Google/ nest mini or an Alexa device I’d recommend a teckin smart plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There’s a Philips Hue Smart Plug. Or did you know this and are looking for an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd just get the hue smart plug. I find it easiest to keep everything in the same app as much as possible.

I'd just get the hue smart plug. I find it easiest to keep everything in the same app as much as possible.
    Do people use apps?
    Voice control for 90% of interaction.

It’s 30 quid v less than 10 for the teckin. The teckin also has a built in power meter to give you power usage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

ted1 wrote: »
    Do people use apps?
    Voice control for 90% of interaction.

It’s 30 quid v less than 10 for the teckin. The teckin also has a built in power meter to give you power usage

I picked up my hue smart plug for 20.

I use apps for routines. Most of my lights are on routines or sensors and its handier having them all in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Was in the same boat and was going to get HUE smart plug but after reading reviews couldn't justify the price. Just bought tp link kasa plugs this week for half the price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I tend to just use the Google Home app, couldn't even tell you the last time I used the actual Hue app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Thanks forn the replys. Is there any that would suit outside ?
    j

j

Not really they all have big firm factors that wouldn’t work with outdoor wall boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Not really they all have big firm factors that wouldn’t work with outdoor wall boxes
    Could you use in conjunction with a weatherproof box?

• Advertisement

j

There's this yoke that you could plug into an existing outdoor socket, but I'm not sure how it's IP44 weatherproof when in use, as there's no seal over anything you plug into it (and IP44 is only splashproof, so you'd want to have it in a sheltered location in any case):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BFCF71J/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_fmwJFb3CZ7916

Then there's something like this, which you'd replace your current outdoor socket with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NJKY8LZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tqwJFb3XRMZS1

Then there's something like this, which you'd replace your current outdoor socket with:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NJKY8LZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tqwJFb3XRMZS1

That’s what I was referring to, you won’t be able to close it with a smart plug , plugged in and a plug plugged into it.
    This would work:

Masterplug Weatherproof Electric Box for Outdoors, 345 x 220 x 126.5 mm, Green https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015R50C14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DYyJFb9G92X48

Or

https://www.woodies.ie/masterplug-weatherproof-box-and-4-socket-8m-10a-extension-lead-1098787

That’s what I was referring to, you won’t be able to close it with a smart plug , plugged in and a plug plugged into it.

Yeah, but the one I linked to is a smart socket itself - you don't have to plug another smart plug into it.

Advertisement