Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Cooking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I’ve never had red cabbage. What’s it taste like? Just no idea what to expect with this!

Braised red cabbage is a kind of warm spice sweet and sour flavour, if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Jude13 wrote: »
    Nah, I am going with the get as low as possible so I can binge at Christmas angle

Totally fair! I didn’t leave myself enough time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

washiskin wrote: »
    Ok, here's my perfect leftovers sandwich.....
    Aldi's White grinder bread:
    A smear of gravy on each slice
    Turkey
    Ham
    Stuffing
    Red Cabbage
    Bread Sauce

It's a huge sandwich, a really great St. Stephen's Day on the sofa filler.

Gluten free bread (boooo! I know)
    Kerrygold, thick,
    Sage and pork Stuffing (GF) moistened with gravy
    Dark meat turkey
    Ham

Ooh red cabbage might be one to add to the menu!

The left over sandwich sounds divine, except where's the cheese? :D

I would have been doing the same as Jude, but have my first wedding dress fitting early in January so I can't binge :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ok, here's my perfect leftovers sandwich.....
    Aldi's White grinder bread:
    A smear of gravy on each slice
    Turkey
    Ham
    Stuffing
    Red Cabbage
    Bread Sauce

It's a huge sandwich, a really great St. Stephen's Day on the sofa filler.

Oh wow!!! Literally mouth watering sambo there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These are always a huge hit

Oregano, rosemary and ’nduja sausage rolls

Nigella’s Cranberry & Soy Glazed Cocktail Sausages

Think Ill do beef wellington this year. Sick of turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

When do most start making the pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Anyone any tried sprouts with pancetta, chilli and garlic? I am thinking of trying this as part of a Sunday dinner in the run up to things in December, my nail lady makes it, it sounds fab, I must get the recipe off her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SarahLil wrote: »
    Anyone any tried sprouts with pancetta, chilli and garlic? I am thinking of trying this as part of a Sunday dinner in the run up to things in December, my nail lady makes it, it sounds fab, I must get the recipe off her
    I often make peas with pancetta, I am sure sprouts would taste just as good !

SarahLil wrote: »

Yeah I've done it with shredded sprouts. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've the Christmas cakes baked and in a weeks time they'll be ready for their first drink. Gingerbread dough is already done and in the freezer.
    Tomorrow I'll be doing my chutney and at the weekend I'll do the chilli jam to pair with the cheese. Then it's onto the gravy, soup broth and stuffing balls that can also go in the freezer. Closer to the big event I'll do the ice cream.

I want to try a pistachio marzipan stollen this year and also do my own mincemeat - I didn't get the chance to do it last year.

redmgar wrote: »
    When do most start making the pudding?

I think some Elves here do them the October Bank Holiday weekend for puddings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Neyite wrote: »
    I've the Christmas cakes baked and in a weeks time they'll be ready for their first drink. Gingerbread dough is already done and in the freezer.
    Tomorrow I'll be doing my chutney and at the weekend I'll do the chilli jam to pair with the cheese. Then it's onto the gravy, soup broth and stuffing balls that can also go in the freezer. Closer to the big event I'll do the ice cream.

I want to try a pistachio marzipan stollen this year and also do my own mincemeat - I didn't get the chance to do it last year.

Amazing! Seriously, do you have a blog? (don't want to ask you to link all those recipes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Amazing! Seriously, do you have a blog? (don't want to ask you to link all those recipes!)

+1

Would love to make my own Chilli Jam and Mincemeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Mincemeat is one of those things you think would be very hard to make, but it's actually stupidly easy to make and tweak to fillings you like.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

:D, I'd never manage a blog!

Apple Chutney is Darina Allens recipe.

Nigella's Chilli Jam
    Gingerbread dough is by Donal Skehan and he's got a template to use as well.
    Jamie Oliver's make ahead gravy
    Stuffing balls are an adaptation of Bazmo's excellent recipe here.

The ice cream comes from Murphy's ice cream blog - I tried out the sea salt, butterscotch and dark chocolate trio from there and they work really well together.

Christmas cake is an adapted Good Housekeeping recipe. I do 6" cakes because they cook quicker and are a perfect size for a gift. I size up that recipe by 1.5 and it will fill 2 x 6" cakes. I swap out some of the prunes for dates, and half the almond flakes for chopped pecans, and use Lidl's spiced rum rather than just dark rum, but that's just personal preference.

If you aren't a fan of fruit cake then a cranberry & chocolate roulade is really nice to do as well. There's various recipes online.

The soup is Rick Stein's Duck Noodle broth. I roast the duck, strip the meat and freeze that, do the stock concentrate and freeze that, then on the day itself it's just a matter of firing it all into a slow cooker Christmas morning along with the rest of the ingredients then adding the coriander & noodles just before serving.

Turkey is a Neven Maguire recipe, and the ham is just boiled in coke then baked.

Wow Neyite thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm definitely doing the Christmas cakes (usually do 5 or 6) in October. Every year I say bake in October, marzipan november then decorate in december. Then I end up doing most of it in december. Will do puds soon too and get the cookie and gingerbread doughs and pastry in the freezer. Also do stuffing and sausage meat stuffing in advance and freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I do shredded sprouts with bacon, add parmesan and a little cream at the end. The leftovers make my sambos. I'm the only one who'd eat the red cabbage so don't make it but a friend does and she generously passes a small tub my way in exchange for a one person pudding.
    It's no wonder I can easily find a half stone over Christmas.

tscul32 wrote: »
    I do shredded sprouts with bacon, add parmesan and a little cream at the end. The leftovers make my sambos. I'm the only one who'd eat the red cabbage so don't make it but a friend does and she generously passes a small tub my way in exchange for a one person pudding.

Ohh the sprouts sound fab, I might try that too thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

[HTML][/HTML]
    tscul32 wrote: »

I do similar but I add toasted crushed hazelnuts and glug of white wine to them.

Thank you so so So much!!! This is definitely the year for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Testing out sprout gratin today and a white onion and cider soup later in the week.

SusanC10.....this is the best red cabbage dish I know....throw it in oven and forget about it for a couple of hours, even better cooked the day before you need it and (honestly) it's fab cold on a leftovers sandwich......

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/life-in-the-freezer/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples

neven mguire also has the red cabbage recipe with bramley apples.
    but ... I like my red cabbage with prunes (instead of apples). always one of the sides when I cook duck or geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Apple Chutney is Darina Allens recipe.

Nigella's Chilli Jam
    Gingerbread dough is by Donal Skehan and he's got a template to use as well.
    Jamie Oliver's make ahead gravy
    Stuffing balls are an adaptation of Bazmo's excellent recipe here.

The ice cream comes from Murphy's ice cream blog - I tried out the sea salt, butterscotch and dark chocolate trio from there and they work really well together.

Christmas cake is an adapted Good Housekeeping recipe. I do 6" cakes because they cook quicker and are a perfect size for a gift. I size up that recipe by 1.5 and it will fill 2 x 6" cakes. I swap out some of the prunes for dates, and half the almond flakes for chopped pecans, and use Lidl's spiced rum rather than just dark rum, but that's just personal preference.

If you aren't a fan of fruit cake then a cranberry & chocolate roulade is really nice to do as well. There's various recipes online.

The soup is Rick Stein's Duck Noodle broth. I roast the duck, strip the meat and freeze that, do the stock concentrate and freeze that, then on the day itself it's just a matter of firing it all into a slow cooker Christmas morning along with the rest of the ingredients then adding the coriander & noodles just before serving.

Turkey is a Neven Maguire recipe, and the ham is just boiled in coke then baked.

Thank you so much !!

Made this in muffins today, really lovely. I read the comments first and used two full eggs, took the required amount of brown sugar and used half brown sugar/half sweetener instead. Added cinnamon and an orange rind too. I soaked dried cranberries before adding them. Big hit.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/banana-cranberry-bread/

I've just had this pop up on my news feed : https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.com/the-collection-ricotta-stacks-serves-2-/p/p60137683#:~:text=Everyone%20will%20love%20this%20elegant,a%20creamy%20white%20wine%20sauce. I'm not vegetarian but these look Devine. I will definitely be attempting to make them for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

This will be our first Christmas in our own home. So first time I'll have to make a Christmas dinner.

We're thinking if keeping things simple - famous last words :D! Anyways, what size turkey and ham would you recommend for 4 adults? Whole turkey or boned and rolled?

scarepanda wrote: »
    This will be our first Christmas in our own home. So first time I'll have to make a Christmas dinner.

We're thinking if keeping things simple - famous last words :D! Anyways, what size turkey and ham would you recommend for 4 adults? Whole turkey or boned and rolled?

Turkey crown. Real easy to cook.

It depends on your plans. I cook a big turkey for four because we’ll eat it for dinner for four on Christmas Day, then second dinner for tea on Christmas Day. Then third dinner on Stephen’s day and sandwiches for tea. Then possibly turkey curry or soup or other on the 27th. Small turkey wouldn’t cut it 😂

• Advertisement

I did my first Christmas in 2016
    I swear by writing down my timings for the turkey in advance
    I still use my notes from 2016
    I have a little pocket notebook with all my Christmas dinner notes since 2016
    If you are getting your turkey from a butcher they will probably give you a thermometer thing that you stick in the turkey and it pops once it’s cooked

Advertisement