Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NT: The Hard Shoulder with Kieran Cuddihy

• 14-09-2020 6:30pm

Starting off with the Interview by Kieran with Kevin Myers.

Kevin is still very very upset after being lynched for his article in the Sunday Times.

Now, I have had 3 presences here on boards.ie
    Ive said some silly things.

Poor Kevin. He is very put off by overuse of the word mysogony.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Myers wasn't done in for one article, he ran out of road after decades of the same schtick.

I can't listen to her. That accent.

I can't listen to her. That accent.

Erm, mate

Poor old Kevin was being interviewed by Kieran, a gentleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

I didn't hear the interview with Kieran but surprised Meyers was on again so soon. Didn't he do a "Thursday Interview" with Ivan not so long back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Any chance of Ivan or George coming out of retirement ??

• Advertisement

xieann wrote: »
    Erm, mate

Poor old Kevin was being interviewed by Kieran, a gentleman!

No, the vegan woman who was interviewed is who I was referring to :)

Neil the ISME rep in PURE THATCHERITE mode.
    Apparently there's deflation at the moment.
    Don't raise the minimum wage whatever ye do!

No fan particularly of Brenda ogle, but this time there's a method to his madness

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Kieran is very good in this slot, i rarely switch to Matt Cooper anymore...and obviously would never go near Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

I was really hoping that Mark Cagney would take over full time from Ivan Yeats when Ivan retired. Cagney filled in for Ivan on numerous occasions especially in the few months leading up to Ivan's departure and I thought he was an excellent natural fit for that slot, it seemed he was being lined up to take over that slot, even better than Ivan in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Would Mark Cagney be a better stand-in for Pat Kenny? Jonathan Healy seems to get on a lot of peoples' nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tork wrote: »
    Would Mark Cagney be a better stand-in for Pat Kenny? Jonathan Healy seems to get on a lot of peoples' nerves.

That's more than likely what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tork wrote: »

I’d like to hear Healy stand in for Moncrieff instead of Tom Dunne.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I was just reading Mick Heaney's radio review and the "straight-talking" Moncrieff and Cuddihy discussing how pandemic cancelled kids birthday parties were obviously hard on the children, but unexpectedly "bloody brilliant" for the parents.

I had to laugh as well during the week at Cuddihy's conversation about the Toy Show with a female reporter (whose name I didn't catch). The contrast between them was quite amusing. She related how she loves it to the extent that during her Hen weekend, she made all her friends sit up and watch it together in their PJs. Whereas Cuddihy (and his kids even) just don't get it. Said Ryan Tubridy seems to lose the plot every year some time in October, not getting over it until the middle of January. How true that is ... imo

James O'Brien from LBC coming up next. Looking forward to this, he's probably my favourite radio host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Haven't listened to this before. Does Cuddihy always picks side with the most populist side of the argument? Why bring Richard Boyd Barrett on and bark yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Haven't listened to this before. Does Cuddihy always picks side with the most populist side of the argument? Why bring Richard Boyd Barrett on and bark yourself?

Kieran comes across as a blend of "down the country" smarminess and insecurity. His tone on the interview with Kevin Myers was inappropriate. School report would say "needs improving".

(Jonathan Healy can just be dismissed as a stooge, he's terrified of saying anything that might upset his boss.)

good discussion on remote working, how will the cities cope if all the senior execs and management level head off home though?

i know in our company none of the senior staff are originally from dublin - the company will collapse if they all take advantage of this remote working and move home to other parts of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

2smiggy wrote: »
    Any chance of Ivan or George coming out of retirement ??

Ivan's hosting new show on VM1 called The Green Room. there was 1 on before xmas & started its regular slot last friday

The Green Room with Ivan Yates is an entertainment show which promises to highlight the ‘news, issues and fun’ in the world of sports. ivan will be joined on the show by Paddy Power, impressionist and TV broadcaster Conor Moore and a mystery special guest.

What am I listening to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

What am I listening to :(

Guest espousing her views on women getting drunk? You have tuned in to the 1950's!

George Hook lost his job for saying the same stuff i.e. it's the woman's fault if she gets bladdered and taken advantage of.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cuddihy referred to the NI border a number of times as "an international frontier" when challenging Micheal Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Kieran Cuddihy has been busy promoting Valencia Island's bid to become a Unesco World Heritage site and just had some Prof.from TCD on and by the end of the segment we were none the wiser about the proposal - not a jot. Typical sensational Newstalk crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cuddihy got some blowback from callers up in arms that a stolen dog didn't justify a 10 month sentence. One caller said a 10 YEAR sentence was appropriate for dog theft.

Tbf I'm with Cuddihy on this one and I don't agree with him all that often, too many people with dogs treating them as substitutes for children. Proposal is by Aontu (:D) so it'll get the derision it deserves.

72sheep wrote: »
    Kieran comes across as a blend of "down the country" smarminess and insecurity. His tone on the interview with Kevin Myers was inappropriate. School report would say "needs improving".

(Jonathan Healy can just be dismissed as a stooge, he's terrified of saying anything that might upset his boss.)

what the hell is 'down the country smarminess'? sounds like nonsense to me, are you sure you aren't the insecure one?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Cuddihy got some blowback from callers up in arms that a stolen dog didn't justify a 10 month sentence. One caller said a 10 YEAR sentence was appropriate for dog theft.

Tbf I'm with Cuddihy on this one and I don't agree with him all that often, too many people with dogs treating them as substitutes for children. Proposal is by Aontu (:D) so it'll get the derision it deserves.

Dog theft can cause huge distress for some people...never mind the animals themselves...to let some greedy opportunistic parasite off with no serious punishment...ie jail time/heavy fines just turns a blind eye to this rotten activity.Save your derision
    Well done to Toibin

southstar wrote: »
    Dog theft can cause huge distress for some people...never mind the animals themselves...to let some greedy opportunistic parasite off with no serious punishment...ie jail time/heavy fines just turns a blind eye to this rotten activity.Save your derision
    Well done to Toibin

No matter how much you love your "fur baby", dog theft is not the same as kidnapping a human or child from a legal standpoint and rightly so.

And if there wasn't a market for these dogs, ie the deluded people prepared to pay stupid money for dogs, there wouldn't be a theft explosion. They're part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

No matter how much you love your "fur baby", dog theft is not the same as kidnapping a human or child from a legal standpoint and rightly so.

And if there wasn't a market for these dogs, ie the deluded people prepared to pay stupid money for dogs, there wouldn't be a theft explosion. They're part of the problem.
    Reminds me of the other day he was talking about scraping the fur off the jam for his kids sandwiches, but a caller reprimanded him for (or warned against) feeding mouldy bread to the ducks. I think it's funny the way he trolls his audience and people rise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭leath_dub

plodder wrote: »
    Reminds me of the other day he was talking about scraping the fur off the jam for his kids sandwiches, but a caller reprimanded him for (or warned against) feeding mouldy bread to the ducks. I think it's funny the way he trolls his audience and people rise to it.

A lot of Newstalk shows seem to depend on the 30 cent texts, so they do their best to trigger the listeners outrage and hopefully motivate them to text in.

Similarly, on a 2 person show like the breakfast show, fo every topic being discussed Ciara takes one (scripted) viewpoint and Shane takes the opposite (scripted) viewpoint. They rehash their attitude (word perfectly) for the rest of the show, howine the plabes will txt in to agree or disagree. Thay will also often shamelssly entreat their listenere to "text in and let us know what your favourite type of soup is".

It's all pretty tacky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

leath_dub wrote: »
    A lot of Newstalk shows seem to depend on the 30 cent texts, so they do their best to trigger the listeners outrage and hopefully motivate them to text in.

Similarly, on a 2 person show like the breakfast show, fo every topic being discussed Ciara takes one (scripted) viewpoint and Shane takes the opposite (scripted) viewpoint. They rehash their attitude (word perfectly) for the rest of the show, howine the plabes will txt in to agree or disagree. Thay will also often shamelssly entreat their listenere to "text in and let us know what your favourite type of soup is".

It's all pretty tacky
    Yeah I don't hear the beginning of Breakfast show much the last few years but I remember that Coleman and Cuddihy used to do that. It was pretty obvious..

That being said people texting in comparing dogs to kids and demanding 10 years for dog theft are pretty insane. It's completely out of proportion and I say that as an owner of black eejit who is completely convinced that her spot in the family hierarchy is above our daughter's. Anyway I have no objection to Newstalk making money out of that kind of nonsense.

• Advertisement

So tell us Imbrahim; working for Facebook or a stay in an Egyptian prison, which was worse?

Advertisement