Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

• 04-06-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Am I being particularly dense but I can't find the thread for Lunchtime Live - has it been taken down? Ciara was talking so much crap today..... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So on she sails unchallenged - I'd almost be tempted to ring the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Del.Monte wrote: »
    So on she sails unchallenged - I'd almost be tempted to ring the show.

That would be the right approach.

Don't think she reads boards.

I have no idea what happened in the last thread. Have ye actually read it. Bunch of idiot posters started rambling at each other for pages and pages on end talking absolute sh/te that had nothing to do with anything. No wonder it was closed. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this thread will go better.

I'd also agree with a popular opinion that I get fed up with Ciara's constant turning of issues or problems into a story about herself. It's grating. Some of the general discussions aren't too bad though, and the topics aren't generally dreadful (though they're definitely a bit repetitive).

I am not a fan of Ciara Kelly. But I think debate and opinion is good and I was really surprised to see the last thread shut down! Other threads are allowed run and run on Boards. The thread on Ray D'arcy is almost slanderous at this stage. But Ciara Kelly's was taken down???

Yes she makes every single issue and story about her, she reads out every single text with "Hi Ciara, love your show............................."
    (imagine Pat Kenny doing this, or Ivan Yates, or............anyone ??)

She has constant need for attention which is hugely irritating. BUT she has tackled a few issues lately and done well. Particularly yesterday the one on teachers and schools re-opening in August/September. It MUST happen and she is backing this. She is having none of the excuses from teachers like "we can't go back to work, what will happen to our coffee break in the staff room?" She told them to bring in flasks! Well done on that. Similar with other issues during Covid.

She needs to turn down her barometer on the attention seeking a lot , the me me me me narrative.............then she will be easier to listen to.

• Advertisement

She has constant need for attention which is hugely irritating. BUT she has tackled a few issues lately and done well. Particularly yesterday the one on teachers and schools re-opening in August/September. It MUST happen and she is backing this. She is having none of the excuses from teachers like "we can't go back to work, what will happen to our coffee break in the staff room?" She told them to bring in flasks! Well done on that. Similar with other issues during Covid.

Reminds me of the time I had a flask, wait til I tell you... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

You are referring to Newstalk??
    Maybe include the Station name in this thread ??

...............and she's off already! First item on today's show, Alzheimers, a woman text in about her Dad. Ciara has already said in the first 5 minutes she "has personal experience of this". We know this as she often mentioned her mother died from it................but wait till you see, she will take over and interject into all calls on this subject.

Now she's talking about "her own" school days as to whether schools should reopen and have 30 people in classrooms.

I wish she would just let people tell their own story and stop interrupting. Its not the CIARA KELLY show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well people with their own stories are not very good at maths.

I'm losing the will to live here listening to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

denartha wrote: »
    I'm losing the will to live here listening to this.

I went and had a few substantial meals too many last night for the first time since March.

Turned this on and heard her arguing with a Scottish fella about square metres.

If my head didn't hurt before, it certainly does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

BUT she has tackled a few issues lately and done well. Particularly yesterday the one on teachers and schools re-opening in August/September. It MUST happen and she is backing this. She is having none of the excuses from teachers like "we can't go back to work, what will happen to our coffee break in the staff room?" She told them to bring in flasks! Well done on that. Similar with other issues during Covid.

The only problem being of course that teachers aren't saying that. They're saying they'll work with whatever the health guidelines are and expect the same guidelines that other workplaces have to be enforced for them too. Listening to her last night on the TV she made out they all stopped work in March and will be the last people to return to work. She knows this isn't true, but the truth won't get her enough 30 cent messages to the show. They're returning to work after their holidays having worked to the end of the school term in whatever way they were able to. Remember she was all for the leaving cert being cancelled -I think she has someone doing it, but wanted primary schools to go back in June. She's always been anti teacher (and no I'm not one!) - though I heard her say her sister is one - I'm guessing she was the favourite at home!

She gave hours once to whether or not it was right for teachers to get presents from kids at Christmas - she was of course dead against it which is fair enough, I never gave them a gift - but not a mention about all the gifts and free stuff GP's get of course.

She's not even doing the Covid stuff all that well - she declared she'd be immune from Covid as shes had it - no scientific proof behind that and a dangerous thing for a GP to be saying on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I am not a fan of Ciara Kelly. But I think debate and opinion is good and I was really surprised to see the last thread shut down! Other threads are allowed run and run on Boards. The thread on Ray D'arcy is almost slanderous at this stage. But Ciara Kelly's was taken down???

Definitely true.

I think newstalk staff are on boards and constantly complaining about posts. There is now a few posting also.

I'm surprised no one from rte is on to defend the three amigos tubs, darc and duffy. But perhaps rte staff are sick of their overpaid boyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Change of thread title to "Newstalk - Lunchtime Live" would be handy

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Definitely true.

I think newstalk staff are on boards and constantly complaining about posts. There is now a few posting also.

I'm surprised no one from rte is on to defend the three amigos tubs, darc and duffy. But perhaps rte staff are sick of their overpaid boyos.

Yeah and chemtralis definitely exist.

The radio presenter filling in for Ciara Kelly who sounds the exact same as Ciara Kelly is shocked that men don't wash their hands after using the toilet of a pub.

She is speechless.

Oh my gawwwwwwwd.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah and chemtralis definitely exist.

Shocked to see you here!!!!!!!!

Excellent debating as usual.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Shocked to see you here!!!!!!!!

Excellent debating as usual.

I'm also an alien and working for Newstalk*. Be very afraid....

*not really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Jaysus this fella has been all over the radio and tv since he got Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

interesting discussion on discrimination in Ireland, terminology people use that may no longer be acceptable, must say the break from ciara kelly is no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Finally a day we get to hear from the men in the country, any day I tune in the women are suffering from one thing to another

Gosh. She sounds........emotional

Left it on after the Pat Kenny show as Andrea Gilligan is hosting and I generally like her when she fills in on the Breakfast Show.

I'm surprised that she is so strong in her views about the pubs not being allowed to open (I agree wholeheartedly with her btw).

Surprised she is going against the Newstalk norm on this - maybe she is putting herself forward to replace Ivan Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Persepoly wrote: »
    Gosh. She sounds........emotional

A total illogical rant that was impartial and nonsensical.

Shouldn't be allowed.

I thought she spoke very well.

She comes from a pub background, so easy to see where she was coming from.

The biggest question, which she honed in on, is- What will be different in three weeks time to enable pubs to open?

This hasn't been addressed at all by the folk making the decisions.

Allinall wrote: »

The biggest question, which she honed in on, is- What will be different in three weeks time to enable pubs to open?

She spoke well? She was shouting.

And now she's just getting angry publicans on the phone.

The 3 weeks is buying more time for the virus to be surpressed.

I know people miss pubs , I do myself , but I think it makes sense as alcohol and distancing just don't work.

murpho999 wrote: »
    She spoke well? She was shouting.

And now she's just getting angry publicans on the phone.

The 3 weeks is buying more time for the virus to be surpressed.

I know people miss pubs , I do myself , but I think it makes sense as alcohol and distancing just don't work.

The virus is suppressed.

Maybe you have an answer....

What can be different in three weeks time to enable pubs to open?

The virus is suppressed.

Maybe you have an answer....

What can be different in three weeks time to enable pubs to open?

It's suppressed but number of cases has been increasing over the last few weeks and the R number has gone up.

3 weeks more buys time and hopefully the numbers come down.

I think pubs opening now would have increased the number of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

She didn't speak well and is obviously biased and angry over it.

The difference is that if the R rate doesn't stabilise in the next three weeks we'll have 150 cases a day.

If people can't see the difference between a restaurant setting and a pub setting they are being deliberately difficult or just don't understand.

Food doesn't protect you from Covid but having a meal and drinks in 105 minutes reduces the capacity to drink large volumes.

Of course people and businesses already open will flout it, but that's no reason to open up more people to risk.

At the end of the day this is to protect the health service and stop it from becoming overwhelmed.

With potential forecast of approx 200 cases this week that is too many for our health service.

After watching the documentary on Covid wards I can't imagine the fear and trauma healthcare workers are experiencing.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    A total illogical rant that was impartial and nonsensical.

Shouldn't be allowed

You obviously don't listen to the likes of Matt Cooper and Ciara Kelly a lot when they speak of anything they don't agree with (when they are meant to be the moderator)

Advertisement