Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Intermediate Club Championship
    Full Time
    Laune Rangers: 1-14
    Desmonds: 2-07

Followed with interest to see what would happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Intermediate Club Championship
    Full Time
    Laune Rangers: 1-14
    Desmonds: 2-07

Followed with interest to see what would happen there.

Impossible to play for a draw in Gaelic football or hurling. I didn't believe that story for a minute. There may have been betting irregularities but to think it was because the game was going to be somehow compromised to end in a draw never stood up with me anyway. More than likely some lad knew a draw would suit both teams and thought it might be worth a punt and he told a few pals and the bookie got spooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Impossible to play for a draw in Gaelic football or hurling. I didn't believe that story for a minute. There may have been betting irregularities but to think it was because the game was going to be somehow compromised to end in a draw never stood up with me anyway. More than likely some lad knew a draw would suit both teams and thought it might be worth a punt and he told a few pals and the bookie got spooked.
    Or on the hand hand, it was planned for, few lads throw money on it, bookies pull it, national newspaper publishes article on it, the eyes of the GAA are now on that game, it's stopped.

It happens, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Should all bets on the game be made void prior to the match once the "pattern" was noticed and made national headlines? Particularly when they accepted bets for a period and then suspended all betting on the match.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Or on the hand hand, it was planned for, few lads throw money on it, bookies pull it, national newspaper publishes article on it, the eyes of the GAA are now on that game, it's stopped.

It happens, believe me.

How many players would have to be compromised to ensure a game ends in a draw? No way one corrupt player could manage it alone. You'd need quite a few. And possibly both sides. I just don't see it.

Some other individual markets like scoring over/under, handicap spreads, red cards etc can be done by a corrupt player but i dont think you can fix a match to end in a draw with any degree of certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just my opinion but to get the draw if it was anyways close with say 15mins to go both teams could just sense it and run down to 2nd gear spontaneously and play it out, but then it just takes 1 lad to go on a soo run and it wont work. To be honest theres any amount of scenarios here. I'll keep an eye on the tables and results in my area today and see if any similar situation emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Anyone any views on Wexford outright?Naomh Eanna 11/8 but think they are too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    Anyone any views on Wexford outright?Naomh Eanna 11/8 but think they are too short.

I don't bet very often and just happened to wander into this forum tonight, but I'm involved in Wexford hurling (with one of the clubs that was beaten in the quarter-finals), so it's coincidence that this was the last post here.

There's very very little between the four teams left in the championship, and I'd agree that Naomh Eanna are too short at 11/8.

For me, Glynn/Barntown are the best value, at 10/3 (PP price - don't know what anybody else might be offering).

Both of Gorey's main men (Conor MacDonald, and Cathal Dunbar) have been struggling for form, and overall, they haven't been hugely convincing in any of their three games so far. Lucky to beat Rapparees in their first game with a controversial last minute penalty, and stumbled through large parts of their quarter-final with Ferns too, before again nabbing a goal near the end.

On the other hand, Glynn/Barntown showed with their relatively comfortable win over St. Martin's that they can beat what's still the best team in the county on paper, and are therefore capable of beating the others too.

I'm genuinely surprised they're as big as 10/3 for the title, and I'm probably even more surprised that they're outsiders for their semi-final with Shelmaliers on Sunday (PP have Shels at 4/5, and G/B at 5/4). Maybe have a nibble at that one anyway, if you don't fancy backing them outright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

What price were Nobber tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KOTS3

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    What price were Nobber tonight?

9/1 a few days ago, not sure what they were directly before game. Some upset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

KOTS3 wrote: »
    9/1 a few days ago, not sure what they were directly before game. Some upset
    They were 8.5/1 on bet365 just before throw in

Strange to see Thomas Davis 11/2 to beat Ballymun 1/10 today. Thomas Davis reached the county final last yeaf and Ballymun always are favourites every year but seem to underachieve. Think I saw one of the Thomas Davis players has moved back north but I will have a small stake on them,just seems far too big a price.

I don't bet very often and just happened to wander into this forum tonight, but I'm involved in Wexford hurling (with one of the clubs that was beaten in the quarter-finals), so it's coincidence that this was the last post here.

There's very very little between the four teams left in the championship, and I'd agree that Naomh Eanna are too short at 11/8.

For me, Glynn/Barntown are the best value, at 10/3 (PP price - don't know what anybody else might be offering).

Both of Gorey's main men (Conor MacDonald, and Cathal Dunbar) have been struggling for form, and overall, they haven't been hugely convincing in any of their three games so far. Lucky to beat Rapparees in their first game with a controversial last minute penalty, and stumbled through large parts of their quarter-final with Ferns too, before again nabbing a goal near the end.

On the other hand, Glynn/Barntown showed with their relatively comfortable win over St. Martin's that they can beat what's still the best team in the county on paper, and are therefore capable of beating the others too.

I'm genuinely surprised they're as big as 10/3 for the title, and I'm probably even more surprised that they're outsiders for their semi-final with Shelmaliers on Sunday (PP have Shels at 4/5, and G/B at 5/4). Maybe have a nibble at that one anyway, if you don't fancy backing them outright?

Was thinking along your lines but might go with Shels outright. Glynn have done the hard work for other teams before,like a few yrs ago when they bet a completely dominant Oulart team but didnt go on and win it.Might be hard for them to reach last weeks level. Wasnt overly impressed with Shels as I thought Harriers short game was poor last week but they were always in control.I agree with you in that the winner will win the county final,although the standard is poor compared to KK if there was a Leinster championship I would not be punting on the Wexford champs.

In Kilkenny today a short price double of Mullinavat 1/3 and Clara 8/15 is my bet. Mullinavat are a good solid team who are too good for Ballycallan who cant score enough.Billy Ryan still injured.Clara were poor last week but with a bit of improvement should take care of The Rower, Richie Leahy is a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Strange to see Thomas Davis 11/2 to beat Ballymun 1/10 today. Thomas Davis reached the county final last yeaf and Ballymun always are favourites every year but seem to underachieve. Think I saw one of the Thomas Davis players has moved back north but I will have a small stake on them,just seems far too big a price.

Ballymun will win that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Mount Sion are 21/4 to beat De La Salle with Bet 365. I would make it about 2/1 personally, Austin Gleesons suspension has been overturned.

Not much between em in County semi last year, bare results in the last game misleading as Mt Sion were minus Gleeson from the start almost and equally DLS were up a man on Abbeyside just after throw in. Definitely value in Mt Sion.

Was thinking along your lines but might go with Shels outright. Glynn have done the hard work for other teams before,like a few yrs ago when they bet a completely dominant Oulart team but didnt go on and win it.Might be hard for them to reach last weeks level. Wasnt overly impressed with Shels as I thought Harriers short game was poor last week but they were always in control.I agree with you in that the winner will win the county final,although the standard is poor compared to KK if there was a Leinster championship I would not be punting on the Wexford champs.

Shels are as good a pick as any, and you're right that Glynn/Barntown have had a bit of a habit in recent years of falling before the final hurdle. By the way, it was back in 2014 that they shocked Oulart in a quarter-final, before losing the semi (to St. Anne's). They'd also lost a semi-final in 2013, and think they've lost two since then as well. They definitely haven't made a final anyway.

I'm possibly a bit heart over head in tipping them, in that an old buddy of mine, Larry Murphy, is with the management there this year and I'd like to see them win it now that my own club is out. By the way, that's Larry Murphy originally from Cloughbawn and of the Wexford '96 team. Not the "other" Larry Murphy, from Baltinglass!

On another note - unfortunately have to agree with your last line. Haven't been impressed overall with the standard of senior hurling in Wexford myself this year. I wouldn't have been tipping any of the four left here to go far in Leinster, on form to date anyway.

In Kilkenny today a short price double of Mullinavat 1/3 and Clara 8/15 is my bet. Mullinavat are a good solid team who are too good for Ballycallan who cant score enough.Billy Ryan still injured.Clara were poor last week but with a bit of improvement should take care of The Rower, Richie Leahy is a big loss.

Mullinavat win by 5.Clara win by 10

Mullinavat win by 5.Clara win by 10

Nice double!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Mount Sion are 21/4 to beat De La Salle with Bet 365. I would make it about 2/1 personally, Austin Gleesons suspension has been overturned.

Not much between em in County semi last year, bare results in the last game misleading as Mt Sion were minus Gleeson from the start almost and equally DLS were up a man on Abbeyside just after throw in. Definitely value in Mt Sion.

Mount Sion win by 4

• Advertisement

Mount Sion win by 4

Good call,surprised that Mt Sions price didnt shorten.

Mount Sion win by 4

Good call.

Mount Sion win by 4

Good call,surprised that Mt Sions price didnt shorten.

Some good picks recently on thread from Monty and Kilkenny.

WD lads

Some good picks recently on thread from Monty and Kilkenny.

WD lads

Including Shels in Wexford.

A result which blew the water out of me plumping for Glynn/Barntown.

And therein lies the reason why I don't actually bet very often. Might be a while before I'm back to this thread!

Good luck to everybody else though.

Including Shels in Wexford.

A result which blew the water out of me plumping for Glynn/Barntown.

And therein lies the reason why I don't actually bet very often. Might be a while before I'm back to this thread!

Good luck to everybody else though.

Have an odd bet on Intercounty myself (League & All Ireland), and maybe the All Ireland Club C'ship.
    Don't bet on County Championship or league games, as I know nothing of them.

Just really like to follow the progress on all the Betting threads.

Austin Stacks are probably worth a few quid this weekend vs Dr Crokes, 13/8 albeit I was hoping for a bit longer than that.

Crokes will be missing a few key players and haven't been firing on all cylinders in their last number of games, whereas Stacks are on a decent run of form having reached the senior Club Championship final. Match is in Tralee on Friday night.

Legion are also probably a bit overpriced at 15/8 vs Rahillys in Killarney on Sunday (Live on RTE) in what really is a 50/50 game, only a bounce of a ball between the teams over the last 3 years. Their last match was a forgettable mauling at the hands of Stacks, but 15/8 is far too big an adjustment in my opinion.

League finals in KK this weekend. Hard games to predict as the league is basically meaningless in KK.After 3 weeks in a row teams might field weaker teams in the final so no bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Same As wrote: »
    Austin Stacks are probably worth a few quid this weekend vs Dr Crokes, 13/8 albeit I was hoping for a bit longer than that.

Crokes will be missing a few key players and haven't been firing on all cylinders in their last number of games, whereas Stacks are on a decent run of form having reached the senior Club Championship final. Match is in Tralee on Friday night.

Legion are also probably a bit overpriced at 15/8 vs Rahillys in Killarney on Sunday (Live on RTE) in what really is a 50/50 game, only a bounce of a ball between the teams over the last 3 years. Their last match was a forgettable mauling at the hands of Stacks, but 15/8 is far too big an adjustment in my opinion.

I think James O'Donoghue is suspended for Legion which is probably a big part of why they are at 15/8. Even if his red card from the last game is over-turned before the weekend, I think he isn't fully fit [only came on at HT] in the game he got sent off in. Without James O, Legion are a far lesser team.

I think of the two bets Stacks represent a much better option - I could see Crokes in a bit of bother around the middle 8 - they'll be relying on Johnny Buckley to have a big game here with White out. A lot of their older players have a lot of mileage on the tires and their younger guys need to step up and have more of an influence on games as opposed to flashes or moments.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think James O'Donoghue is suspended for Legion which is probably a big part of why they are at 15/8. Even if his red card from the last game is over-turned before the weekend, I think he isn't fully fit [only came on at HT] in the game he got sent off in. Without James O, Legion are a far lesser team.

Sent off in Club Championship game would mean he's suspended for 1st game of next years Club Championship, but not County Championship so he's eligible to play if fit. Couldn't agree more they are inferior without him. If he plays, 15/8 is a wrong price.

Advertisement