Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Black Eye - Ewan McKenna

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Have I attacked you too? Are you ok? I’m sorry for attacking you, xoxo.

Mod note: This kind of antagonistic post is not on - everyone, please converse respectfully or not at all. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Ewan MacKenna, the man likes to attack people on Twitter, then when called out plays the victim. He said sorry and that it was a mistake, he seems to make a lot of mistakes!!!! He does not like debate and blocks people who try to converse with him if they appear to have a logical point to his opinion. He gets offended if some name calls him yet feels it’s ok to call Varadkar a Cnut. My own opinion is he is doing it to stay relevant, not sure if he’s an Indo employee or a freelance journalist now. There’s no such thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He could definitely do with some serious editing anyway. He's had a few 2 and a half hour episodes. That's a serious commitment to listen to when most people have to fit in other podcasts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

He could definitely do with some serious editing anyway. He's had a few 2 and a half hour episodes. That's a serious commitment to listen to when most people have to fit in other podcasts as well.

Needs to bin his monologues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He’s outdone himself with the latest one, 3 hours and 25 minutes long. I got as far as about 15 minutes when that clown he has on with him started going off on one about someone in direct provision who tweeted a photo of the poor quality dinner he was served, don’t think McKenna or himself saw the irony in how no less than 20 seconds before this he was lamenting that living conditions here are so bad in direct provision they’ve been forced to go on hunger strike. Think I’ll bow out of the podcast at this stage. I’ve given it enough of a go, it’s total shįte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Latest Ewan McKenna Black Eye podcast.

He does a ten minute monologue every episode and nails the Irish response to Covid in last weeks one from 31:30.

This was before the latest ridiculous contradictory lockdown restrictions and Golfgate. This week's episode should be good.

https://tortoiseshack.ie/collateral-damage/

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Delighted I found this one. Can’t stand Ewan McKenna but he never fails to interest me.

Had the sound been fixed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I like a lot of what Mackenna has to say but that Groves fella he has with him is some smug dose isn't he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Largest pos in Ireland

• Advertisement

Largest pos in Ireland

he's number 1 in the pod charts? no way . And its only relatively new.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    he's number 1 in the pod charts? no way . And its only relatively new.

Think boyzone reached number 1 once, it’s still sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Has Ewan given this up? No podcast since 13 September.

As an aside, I started following his twitter and every Saturday evening without fail he puts up a drunken tweet abusing someone but Sunday morning it is always deleted (presumably when he has sobered up).

Has Ewan given this up? No podcast since 13 September.

As an aside, I started following his twitter and every Saturday evening without fail he puts up a drunken tweet abusing someone but Sunday morning it is always deleted (presumably when he has sobered up).

who have been his recent targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

glasso wrote: »
    who have been his recent targets?

Can't remember exactly, calling Leo Varadkar and the government cunts I think

Can't remember exactly, calling Leo Varadkar and the government cunts I think

seems like a very reasonable assessment in fairness. wouldn't exactly take a feed of beer to come up with that much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's only a pity Ewan isn't Taoiseach, if he was no here would have died from the virus, and it would have been eliminated long ago.

A special pod came up on my feed today from the guys at the tortoise shack. They had a chap on talking about anti semitism. God love him I had to turn it off. He has an awful speech impediment or something. He spoke like a broken record. It was uncomfortable to listen to. He didnt stammer, but repeated the end of every sentence.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    A special pod came up on my feed today from the guys at the tortoise shack. They had a chap on talking about anti semitism. God love him I had to turn it off. He has an awful speech impediment or something. He spoke like a broken record. It was uncomfortable to listen to. He didnt stammer, but repeated the end of every sentence.

Ok, but is that the end of the podcast?

Ok, but is that the end of the podcast?

haven't heard one since September. Hiatus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's only a pity Ewan isn't Taoiseach, if he was no here would have died from the virus, and it would have been eliminated long ago.

Its unhinged the way he goes on .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Its unhinged the way he goes on .

So many times this year I have thought about muting him on Twitter but haven't yet, and still follow him. For now.

I was a Tribune reader when he started there and argued for many years that he was an up and coming Paul Kimmage and that we needed journalists who didn't see themselves as fans with type-writers but I can't really defend him any more.

And I'm way past looking towards his work to be informed or enlightened or even entertained. The heading invariably tells you exactly the tone of the piece and it will be judgemental, aggressive and outright insulting towards anything which remotely can be seen to be 'convention' or 'the elite'.

Rugby, FAI, GAA, Horse Racing, Premier League, Media, any story from these areas will include the claim that the elites are there only because of where they come from or what they look or sound like, they are more interested in maintaining the status quo and exploiting everyone else. It'll then go on to say how people supporting these are clapping seals who don't realise what they are doing and he has been ostracised because he calls it as he sees it. He is closer to being 'she who must not be named' than he is Paul Kimmage at this point. And I take no pleasure in writing that.

We need journalists to expose corrupt, illegal, exploitative behaviour (Mark Tighe on JD for example), and I have no interest in simple fan-club pieces for the most part but I no longer expect Ewan to uncover or outline unfair or unreasonable behaviour, I expect him to just rant that it is going on, and sure what would you expect and if a negative angle isn't readily apparent, to just create it. In March, he was aghast at Cheltenham and said that the thousands who would die would be on the hands of Harris and Varadkar and recently he is laughing at the ineptitude in Ireland having a lockdown while apparently they're still partying like it's 2019 where he is living.

At least Kimmage can write a piece highlighting his joy in something or his admiration for a sporting act or skill in the middle of his pieces on unsavoury behaviour, Ewan, at the moment is all sour, no sweet.

^^^^
    Right on cue

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1323295294331772929

A single tweet which shows his feeling towards education, health, political, judicial and media structures in Ireland.
    Aside from it nearly being impressive to sh*t on all of them in just 47 words, it illustrates exactly what I was saying above.

This is no longer journalism, it's a personal narrative from someone with the platform of a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So many times this year I have thought about muting him on Twitter but haven't yet, and still follow him. For now.

I was a Tribune reader when he started there and argued for many years that he was an up and coming Paul Kimmage and that we needed journalists who didn't see themselves as fans with type-writers but I can't really defend him any more.

And I'm way past looking towards his work to be informed or enlightened or even entertained. The heading invariably tells you exactly the tone of the piece and it will be judgemental, aggressive and outright insulting towards anything which remotely can be seen to be 'convention' or 'the elite'.

Rugby, FAI, GAA, Horse Racing, Premier League, Media, any story from these areas will include the claim that the elites are there only because of where they come from or what they look or sound like, they are more interested in maintaining the status quo and exploiting everyone else. It'll then go on to say how people supporting these are clapping seals who don't realise what they are doing and he has been ostracised because he calls it as he sees it. He is closer to being 'she who must not be named' than he is Paul Kimmage at this point. And I take no pleasure in writing that.

We need journalists to expose corrupt, illegal, exploitative behaviour (Mark Tighe on JD for example), and I have no interest in simple fan-club pieces for the most part but I no longer expect Ewan to uncover or outline unfair or unreasonable behaviour, I expect him to just rant that it is going on, and sure what would you expect and if a negative angle isn't readily apparent, to just create it. In March, he was aghast at Cheltenham and said that the thousands who would die would be on the hands of Harris and Varadkar and recently he is laughing at the ineptitude in Ireland having a lockdown while apparently they're still partying like it's 2019 where he is living.

At least Kimmage can write a piece highlighting his joy in something or his admiration for a sporting act or skill in the middle of his pieces on unsavoury behaviour, Ewan, at the moment is all sour, no sweet.

Pretty much the nail on the head there . I unfollowed on Twitter as it became too much for me it was actually getting me down . Funny you mention G O'D. It really is a slippery slope that people can go down .

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Hes going off on one with rte. Trying to claim he lost his job in the Irish media for "for questioning the government and NPHET very rationally". Ya lost your job coz no one wants to listen to you whinge and moan about absolute everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

hermano wrote: »
    Hes going off on one with rte. Trying to claim he lost his job in the Irish media for "for questioning the government and NPHET very rationally". Ya lost your job coz no one wants to listen to you whinge and moan about absolute everything.

Who was he working for in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Had a column in the indo

hermano wrote: »

He used to be a frequent enough contributor on the Hard Shoulder on Newstalk and also on Off The Ball.

I think himself and Ger are from the same town in Kildare and I remember him on OTB once and Ger telling him that he was looking forward to having a pint next time Ewan was home.

I find it very frustrating because he has alienated himself with the vociferousness of his negativity and taking joy in pointing it out. He could have maintained a pretty consistent niche from himself as a 'voice from abroad' type contributor but he alone is responsible for poisoning that well. And again, I'm not saying he should be all sweet and towing the positive line on everything but he's like someone who would come in the door and point out the negatives about the dinner his partner put down in front of him rather than be thankful they did so, or notice all the good things about it.

I finally had enough and muted him on the night of the Presidential Election in the US, every time I looked at Twitter as Trump surged in to the lead with walk in ballot results, it was another gleeful tweet from Ewan saying how much of a fcuk up the Democrats had made in selecting Biden, how they only had themselves to blame, how America was going to implode and it was their fault.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm amazed someone who has expertise on every subject under the sun could find themselves unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He used to be a frequent enough contributor on the Hard Shoulder on Newstalk and also on Off The Ball.

Was he on OTB much? I don't really remember him being on that often, maybe 3 or 4 times over a 4 year period.

I do remember him being on The Hard Shoulder and The Last Word but only for big events like the Khabib v McGregor fight or the World Cup in Russia. He wasn't a regular like any of the people who cover sports on a Friday evening on The Last Word. He was on these stations during the Irish Times ban which is pretty funny really.

Advertisement