Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I can't see them being able to open until a few months post vaccine and social distancing (hopefully!) goes.

Gyms will be open a long time before any vaccine. Noises about a vaccine possibly being ready for limited use by end of 2020. So a long time before widely available even if they did manage that.

I can see some gyms being able to set up to provide distancing but many can't and they'll just set up token measures that will be largely pointless

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What a lot of people dont realise (I think) is that people are going to get the virus, even with social distancing.

The purpose of social distancing is to try and slow it down so hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Gyms and other businesses will reopen, yes they'll change their setups but the economy has to restart well before a vaccine is found (could easily be 2021). While that happens some people will get the virus and unfortunately some will die in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What a lot of people dont realise (I think) is that people are going to get the virus, even with social distancing.

The purpose of social distancing is to try and slow it down so hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Gyms and other businesses will reopen, yes they'll change their setups but the economy has to restart well before a vaccine is found (could easily be 2021). While that happens some people will get the virus and unfortunately some will die in the process.

Yes but minimum August 10th if we have to take no steps back. Gyms run off monthly membership and personal trainers renting their space and running their own PT sessions. None of which are happening, how are they paying the bills? It does not look good for them

What do people think about gyms actually reopening from a business perspective?

How many dormant users will have canceled their payments?

A lot of gyms have frozen memberships. Some people may cancel.
    Any gyms that can hold out will be hoping on a load of people holding onto those memberships. It's possible that people's perceptions will have changed in the next 13 weeks and people nervous about the idea won't be when the time comes.

There will be plenty of people wanting to use gyms that will make many if them viable. Some wont be able to take the hit between now and then though, more's the pity

Yes but minimum August 10th if we have to take no steps back. Gyms run off monthly membership and personal trainers renting their space and running their own PT sessions. None of which are happening, how are they paying the bills? It does not look good for them

I'd imagine they're doing as other businesses are and not paying rent and staff are accessing the state welfare support in an effort to cut expenses to the bone while memberships are frozen (no income).

Think some of the smaller ones could certainly close, the bigger chains might have deeper pockets, how deep those need to be though is the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd imagine they're doing as other businesses are and not paying rent and staff are accessing the state welfare support in an effort to cut expenses to the bone while memberships are frozen (no income).

Think some of the smaller ones could certainly close, the bigger chains might have deeper pockets, how deep those need to be though is the question.

Yes the rent freeze and staff furloughs (Plus some staff might be self-employed PTs etc.) should help a bit anyway.

I think people do realise social distancing is just a "damage limitation" mechanism - some gyms don't have great ventilation which won't help either. It's also the number of high contact surfaces in a gym too. I think a lot does depend on how the next 3 months go, if things go well and number drop to minimal levels it changes things I think. If there's still a good bit of it around it might be a different story.

I just think that the fact the likes of flyefit closed up straight away (when others like westwood etc. stayed open) because they said they could not control social distancing to any extent means it may be unworkable for some that are running the "get as many members/bodies in as possible at low prices" model - that said they have time to plan and put things in place and possibly increase membership fees etc. also which they didn't have before, which is a big help I am sure. I can see changing rooms being completely closed (at least initially) and the like.

I never thought I would see the day when my priority is a haircut over the gym though!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

Most gyms will be ok business-wise going forward

With Covid in general, very few businesses will actually have to close fully in the short-term given the lights are off, they don't have to pay staff and there are government supports

Where the real business issues with Covid will arise is - ironically in a sense - when the economy gets back up and running. General consumer confidence will be low and business-to-business markets will take an absolute hammering. However in a B2C service model like gyms there will always be enough demand to generate substantial revenue month-on-month. There will need to be cost cutting in many cases though to generate profits.

Looking at demand going forward you can probably loosely segment gym goers into the serious 5-6 a week attendees, the casual 2/3 a week attendees, those that might go a handful of times a month, and those that rarely if ever attend after January. As well as that there are some who go for 'social' reasons like attending classes or with friends, and those that only go to attend classes. The more dedicated attendees and those that only attend for classes will be the most likely to renew membership when the time comes. The other segments may take a bit of work to persuade back in the door
    I can see changing rooms being completely closed (at least initially) and the like.

Can't see them fully closing changing rooms - members still need to access the toilet, access to wash their hands, to potentially tend to any accidents where they might be bleeding perhaps, and to leave any valuables in a locker

I'd imagine members will just be encouraged to use them as little as they can, if possible

Gyms won't re-open though until the number of new cases day-on-day is minimal, they're alongside the likes of contact sports and nightclubs - the government aren't naive enough to think social distancing can be fully adhered to in these environments, so even within the gym there will be give and take.

August is a long time anyway, and to be honest its extremely likely it'll be longer than the initial suggested date

It's possible that people's perceptions will have changed in the next 13 weeks and people nervous about the idea won't be when the time comes.

100 times this

Its actually not really practical at present to be speculating on demand when gyms re-open, because there will be a huge shift in people's attitudes as time goes on

Right now we are in the apparent (and hopefully) peak of the virus - its easy to be extremely anxious overall and to look at things like gyms and pubs as a complete non-runner

A lot will change in a few months, and when we're hopefully only seeing a relative few new cases a day April and May will be long forgotten by many lets be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The gym I am joined to have a wipe down policy with alcohol wipes provided all over the place and it’s usually quiet in the morning since a super gym opened up nearby but the cardio machines are all lined up together so it’s going to be tricky to sort that out

I thought my gym was doing a good enough job with implementing measures before the shutdown. There was a strict wipe down policy, benches were well spaced apart and every second cardio machine was taped off.

The gym was therapy for me and seeing equipment so jacked up in price/unavailable at the moment is disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

sp00k wrote: »
    I thought my gym was doing a good enough job with implementing measures before the shutdown. There was a strict wipe down policy, benches were well spaced apart and every second cardio machine was taped off.

The gym was therapy for me and seeing equipment so jacked up in price/unavailable at the moment is disheartening.

Order from China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Realistically, what measures can gyms put in place? Screens between benches? Socially distanced queues for using equipment? Disinfecting everything before and after using?

Going to be very difficult to implement.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Realistically, what measures can gyms put in place? Screens between benches? Socially distanced queues for using equipment? Disinfecting everything before and after using?

Going to be very difficult to implement.

Yeah, no way social distancing can realistically be 100% achieved and I really don't know how they'll manage the logistics of ensuring certain members in at certain times, and tailoring memberships and so on.

Even if they just come up with a loose enough policy of like 30/50 in at a time, there'll be well over 100 people queuing outside a popular Flyefit between 6 and 7pm on a week day evening. Many members actually won't be able to attend outside these times so if they can't access at these times that may lead to many lost members

You could have situations where the limited crowd inside are mainly all looking to do cardio/core work and the weights section ends up being basically empty

In some gyms will they segregate the 'core' area, the cardio area and the weights area (like in Flyefit george's street for example) and have separate memberships for each? The whole thing just sounds like a logistical nightmare no matter what they come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

I usually go to the gym before work but if they had to limit numbers would you have to book? I'd be raging turning up at 6am only to be turned away as its full.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

They will have to roll back some of the restrictions soon enough. They can’t keep the economy shut down forever. I wouldn’t be surprised to see gyms opened at the end of April or early May but with the expectation that social distancing and hygiene protocols will be put in place.

Whether members will be happy to return is the other thing. Some will, but I think it is going to devastate memberships in a lot of gyms

Not at all they look like there gonna stay closed as long as needs be to beat the virus they ve committed now, some businesses are just gonna be casualties of the effort unfortunately.

Alot of people are investing in home equipment aswell, so that ll prob be further loss for gyms when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Order from China

Which site have you used? I'm looking at AliExpress etc but not sure on where else there might be to get it from?

Are you sure they were being serious ? The price of weights have gone through the roof everywhere, can’t you get a few power bands and kettlebells to tide you over ?

It's 30 day delivery from China at the moment, and there's a large shipment due in early June it seems as all the sites are listing that as their restock date.

I was looking at cutting the middle man and found a site in China selling 'Rogue' calibrated plates, but have my doubts over their legitimacy. They'd show up as 'Rouge' plates or something!

I know what they are, they're made in the US and not made from rubber! Ha. I was making the joke that they were clearly knock offs by saying 'Rouge' plates...

You didn’t mention the part about them being rubber

My bad. I thought the 'Rouge' joke and them being made in China was enough

My bad.

Anyways moral of the story, they're fake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Have any lads ordered from China? What site? AliExpress? Wish always throwing dumbbell adverts at me but god knows what quality is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Have any lads ordered from China? What site? AliExpress? Wish always throwing dumbbell adverts at me but god knows what quality is like
    Your Gym might be open by the time a potential order might arrive!

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Your Gym might be open by the time a potential order might arrive!

30 days delivery from China at the moment even with the lockdown. (China to Ireland anyway, not sure about once it gets here!)

brianblaze wrote: »
    30 days delivery from China at the moment even with the lockdown. (China to Ireland anyway, not sure about once it gets here!)

That's in 'normal' conditions. An Post are not accepting or receiving post from certain countries at the moment.

Re gyms and clubs, interesting article in the Business Post today (behind a pay wall so can't post). Quotes monthly costs to keep a pool ticking over even when a club is closed as €5-10k.

my gym emailed saying 29th june....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Acey10 wrote: »

I miss having my bum ogled, squat til I drop ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Acey10 wrote: »

What kind of gym is it, and rough area? Do you mind me asking.

I had my eyes on August 10th myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Does the phase plan not specifically say Phase 5 (August) for gyms?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Playgrounds are allowed open in phase 3.
    I'd love to have a membership to an adult playground that I could lift heavy stuff in....

Does the phase plan not specifically say Phase 5 (August) for gyms?

Yep.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dd26a8-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-10-august/#cultural-and-social

"Gyms, dance studios and sports clubs can re-open, only where regular and effective cleaning can be carried out and social distancing can be maintained."

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wow, I was looking forward to doing classes in my old gym while home for June/July.

To give you an idea of the restrictions that will be in place here in Abu Dhabi. We've not been given a date yet.

95293231_2724679947776475_6096046970990755840_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQkSX1uu_1eHM2f4uKRXXWM8oVPYiR1Lz6czGi1w2yTUi2vz2qmCT63Jw-po3VWtUXFAg5QIxW6hRDhVzVWiqXJL&_nc_ht=scontent.ffjr1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=3ed64c4c754bdbd83c45f22885071bf6&oe=5ED8E24A

95709338_2724679974443139_7029224754594709504_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQlRfdxhOcbw8CeGgJsQC0VXVKZXL6gc4MrCsJoPXhEqiuOq_4_ZCfUZhn40VA9tQUEPScFmHhojYL1KOxegAS2q&_nc_ht=scontent.ffjr1-2.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=976d9cdeaf7bfee37af19b846cc2a675&oe=5ED68F49

95600780_2724679981109805_2161990363898707968_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQkN5vOmxDBuMK0C-4DmSeSy1sZameuPE6h90Z8uyWyFmBuULiOhWbVXPWXS1aRJ_f5LCi3XAQuPEMQroC6RNMCO&_nc_ht=scontent.ffjr1-3.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=dec23a1ac412c4a6a58937e3aa12f9be&oe=5ED80798

No burpees! :pac:

• Advertisement

north county dublin

email said

"As of the 29th June the Government are allowing physical exercise and sporting activity to take place behind closed doors."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement