Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anywhere to get cheap prescription frames?

• 10-03-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for a spare pair of glasses relatively cheap. Are there any recommended websites that offer frames and prescription lenses fitted for less than say €100?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

You can get frames with standard lenses in Specsavers for €59, or two for €89. Would that be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

jimmy86 wrote: »
    You can get frames with standard lenses in Specsavers for €59, or two for €89. Would that be an option?

That's perfect. I'll head in tomororw. Thank so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

They will try and upsell when it comes to the lenses, ultra thin etc, but just stick with the standard as they are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

goggles4u $10/£9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

My wife went for free Eye test and glasses to specsavers. I told her they will try to upgrade you to a second set, fancy frames, lenses whatever. Just say no

She comes back. It was great, 2 pairs for 240.

I sent her back to cancel the order :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Just to update, got a really nice pair of frames with my prescription lenses fitted for €21 shipped from Zenni Optical! Unbeatable value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Does anyone here have experience of buying varifocals online, or are places like Zenni just good for single-vision lenses?

I wear varifocals everyday. In the past I've had ones with transition lenses, but last time I ordered them at a local optician, they were turning dark indoors under artificial lighting so I gave up on those. Thinking about getting single-vision sunglasses to pair with the varifocals, but would I miss the ability to read with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I just got two pairs delivered from glasses direct.
    Only took a few weeks....25 euro roughly.
    Both grand.

I have also used speccyfoureyes and goggles4u before as well and no issue with either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

leck wrote: »
    Thinking about getting single-vision sunglasses to pair with the varifocals, but would I miss the ability to read with them?

How often do you read outdoors in direct sunlight?

I've not had to get varifocals online but its going to happen eventually... however, I've used Zenni without issue

Only thing that's noticeable is that while lots of opticians will do minor repairs to any frames at all FOC; Zenni ones will cost you - but bugger all, normally.

And I have zero issue with paying as I find the idea of getting someone to repair something they had no involvement with FOC to be very odd anyway. Think I've had three eyepiece replacements costing 15 quid in a number of years on my main frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Just used goggles4u 49% off using promo code SANTA49. Got two decent pairs of glasses for €28 euro. Great deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Hey there, have used goggles4u previously and it was very good and fine. I want to order a new pair, does anyone know of any changes in terms of their delivery charges-do I need to worry about customs/duty charges since (I think) the glasses will be coming in from outside the EU ?? Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Same question here. Am about to pull the trigger on a nice pair of glasses with prescription lenses and all the bells and whistles. In the cart for £70 nett of the discount.

Just wondering when purchasing however if Goggles4u declares the package at the higher non discount price or at the actual above price paid of £70

I notice under Revenue I'll be hit for the vat but won't bother if I'm going to get caught for lock stock and barrel on the higher price.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Very expensive for G4U I would have thought? How much is the discount?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

75%

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

I contacted customer service and they said they won't be responsible for any customs duties or taxes, so yeah, it seems I need to find a better place for affordable prescription glasses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone been hit for customs for glasses?

Just got my prescription renewed via Specsavers, got a decent FCUK frame with the second pair in a standard (decent looking) frame, ended up getting a pair or prescription sunglasses also which I didn't mind as I needed them.

However, I've two prescriptions, one for work (close) and one for distance which I need for driving or the cinema etc.

I want to get some others of them both to keep in the car and in the office (for when I have to go back).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

I wanted to get a new pair of distance glasses for driving (I use bifocals normally, which I don't order online). I've ordered from Zenni in the past and been pleased with the quality and price.

Went onto their website today, selected a pair of frames, uploaded prescription, yada, yada.....only to find that they're not shipping to Ireland at the moment!

I went to goggles4u site, there's an offer of 47% off glasses at the moment using the code get47. Got a pair of distance photochromic specs for £38.50 delivered (delivery is £8.95 standard). Let's see what the tax works out at....!

Advertisement