Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a driving instructor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Do you ever park illegally: on footpaths, bicycle lanes or loading bays? So many drivers do it so just wondering where they pick up this bad habit.

• Company Representative Posts: 46 Verified rep I'm a Driving Instructor, AMA

bigar wrote: »
    Do you ever park illegally: on footpaths, bicycle lanes or loading bays? So many drivers do it so just wondering where they pick up this bad habit.

As driving instructors it's up to us to set a good example to others so no, I tend to stick pretty strictly to the rules. There's always someone around ready to have a go if you don't.
    People pick up bad habits because generally humans are lazy and will take shortcuts or do the easy thing, if they're parking illegally they didn't learn it on the driving lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hi, thanks very inciteful.

How do you market yourself?

Can you talk about buying a car for work. What car do you drive? How do you decide? Is it beneficial to buy as new as possible with warranty given the mileage you do?

How does insurance work? Is it a commercial vehicle? Do you have a personal car for out of work driving? Would you give a ball park figure on what insurance costs for you personal/ work?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I think there Should be a 13th module to be completed after the test has been passed. A module on entering, driving on and exiting a motorway. What do you think?

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hi, thanks very inciteful.

How do you market yourself?

Can you talk about buying a car for work. What car do you drive? How do you decide? Is it beneficial to buy as new as possible with warranty given the mileage you do?

How does insurance work? Is it a commercial vehicle? Do you have a personal car for out of work driving? Would you give a ball park figure on what insurance costs for you personal/ work?

Thanks again

I use social media mainly. I've over 2500 Likes on my Facebook page and most of my business is generated from that. When someone passes their pic goes up on the Page etc.

I leased my car for the first few years. It was slightly more costly but included servicing, road tax etc. I bought a car back in 2018. I went with Kia. 7 year/150k km warranty. I'm doing 40k km/year so it should work out only the last 3 months won't be covered by warranty....if I keep it that long. I do spend a lot of time in it so it has to be comfortable.

• Advertisement

bop1977 wrote: »
    I think there Should be a 13th module to be completed after the test has been passed. A module on entering, driving on and exiting a motorway. What do you think?

That's a very good idea. I do offer motorway lessons to my pupils but tbh the uptake is extremely poor. I did say earlier in the thread I'd like to see learners be allowed on the motorway once they are in a dual control car and are with a driving instructor. This is now the case in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Is there any rule of the road you strongly disagree with, and if so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Is reversing around a corner still a test requirement? I always wondered why, as I imagine if a guard saw me reversing around a corner I would be pulled over

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Is there any rule of the road you strongly disagree with, and if so, why?

No, not really. I think they're fairly logical and straight forward

ft9 wrote: »
    Is reversing around a corner still a test requirement? I always wondered why, as I imagine if a guard saw me reversing around a corner I would be pulled over

Yeah, reversing around a corner is still a requirement.
    The only reason you might be pulled over by a guard is if you were reversing FROM a side road ONTO a main road, that's illegal. Reversing from a ain road into a side road isn't.

The whole purpose of it is to demonstrate that you've good control over the speed of the vehicle, using clutch control, whilst avoiding an obstacle and at the same time doing it safely by observing correctly and giving right of way to any approaching road users/pedestrians. It forms the basis of reverse parking etc

People seem to think it's pointless but it's far from pointless and you'll use those skills more than you think. It's like a football coach getting you to do a drill on the training ground. He/she is looking for you to bring that into a game situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Do you think they are making the driving test too complicated? Considering most people would not pass it again a year later ? After the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Any tips for observations in the driving test? Failed a few weeks ago on observations. I really thought I was an observant driver but clearly not!

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Do you think they are making the driving test too complicated? Considering most people would not pass it again a year later ? After the test

Tbh, I don't think the test is complicated at all. Like I said earlier, humans are generally lazy and will do the bare minimum to complete a task. They might not pass the test if they had to resit it down to taking shortcuts, being way too impatient and not applying what they were taught. There's very often a mentality of "I'll do this until I pass my test then I'll do what I want"

Wellyd wrote: »
    Any tips for observations in the driving test? Failed a few weeks ago on observations. I really thought I was an observant driver but clearly not!

Sorry to hear that! Which aspects specifically did you pick up marks for observation? If I know that I might be able to be a bit more specific. Did the tester give you any feedback about the lack of observation after the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

Mobile phones I think are ruining peoples concentration on roads, its crazy the amount of lap or handle watchers there are on the roads.
    Have you every had a person during the test try to pick up their phone and start playing with it?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    Mobile phones I think are ruining peoples concentration on roads, its crazy the amount of lap or handle watchers there are on the roads.
    Have you every had a person during the test try to pick up their phone and start playing with it?

I don't do the tests, I instruct but a couple of times people have reached for their phone if it's rung or an alarm has gone off. It happened last Thursday or Friday. I just ask them to leave it alone and then get them pulled in and ask them to turn it off. I make sure it's off on on airplane mode for test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'd like to learn but I'm afraid that I'd be way too nervous at my age. Being in the yellow box on my bicycle is nerve wracking enough and you get the full blast of people's horns. What is the best way to approach or think about nerves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Tbh, I don't think the test is complicated at all. Like I said earlier, humans are generally lazy and will do the bare minimum to complete a task. They might not pass the test if they had to resit it down to taking shortcuts, being way too impatient and not applying what they were taught. There's very often a mentality of "I'll do this until I pass my test then I'll do what I want"

But every year or so they add a new requirement and for what ? Within months people are ignoring what they learned from the test.So exactly what is the point ? More jobs for driving instructors ? Testers. There is hardly a traffic cop on the road but somehow the RSA thinks improving the test will stop accidents or people driving like lunatics ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's a very good idea. I do offer motorway lessons to my pupils but tbh the uptake is extremely poor. I did say earlier in the thread I'd like to see learners be allowed on the motorway once they are in a dual control car and are with a driving instructor. This is now the case in the UK.

I agree with this, I did my test in The Netherlands (why do we always compare ourselves to the UK?) and was thought properly to drive on a motorway.

Build up speed on entry lane to match motorway traffic speed. Lane management, exiting etc.

People here join motorway at any speed the want, think in terms of fast and slow lanes therefore leading to people sitting on middle lane on M50 and M7 and it drives me crazy.

Also people think the the hard shoulder is for motorbikes, resting, peeing or mobile phone use.

I don't understand why motorway driving is not part of the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clelia!

Doing my test on Wednesday for the first time in tallaght and just have a quick q

Do I need to check my blindspot when turning right or coming off roundabouts?
    At the moment I've just been checking blindspot when moving off and changing lanes.

Any other helpful tips appreciated

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Do instructors and testers still insist on the 'threading the rope' steering style?

With your hands never moving from the 10 and 2 positions?

I can understand that technique the days of no power steering and with young nervous drivers holding on for dear life.

But it never proved practical when moving onto large vans, forklifts and the likes where space and visibility are at a minimum and you need to feel every small adjustment, coming back through the wheel.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I tried learning to drive when I was 17 and found the whole thing immensely stressful, looking back I think most of it was because of my instructor. He got me to go out on the roads on my first lesson but I didn't feel safe at all, I didn't feel prepared and he was constantly texting which just added to my anxiety (although he told me it was fine because he could multitask). I'm not exaggerating when I say I was in tears I was so scared during that first lesson. He also used to drink an entire 2L bottle of Coke during each lesson and would make me pull into an Esso station towards the end so he could use the loo, while still on the clock. It really put me off driving and I never sat the test (I'm 33 now).

Do you ever get stories like that from people who have transferred to you from another instructor, or what would be the main reasons for people changing instructor?

Do you think it is harder for people to learn to drive when they are older?

What are the most common bad driving habits you see in your students?

Bobtheman wrote: »
    But every year or so they add a new requirement and for what ? Within months people are ignoring what they learned from the test.So exactly what is the point ? More jobs for driving instructors ? Testers. There is hardly a traffic cop on the road but somehow the RSA thinks improving the test will stop accidents or people driving like lunatics ??

Hi, sorry for the delay in reply, I was away for a few days.

I'm not sure what changes to the driving test are that you refer to tbh. I deal with Cars only. The only changes to the test or how it's been conducted in the 10 years I've been an ADI is that they now use iPads when marking the test rather than a sheet of paper and a pen.

clelia! wrote: »
    Doing my test on Wednesday for the first time in tallaght and just have a quick q

Do I need to check my blindspot when turning right or coming off roundabouts?
    At the moment I've just been checking blindspot when moving off and changing lanes.

Any other helpful tips appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I didn't get back to you before your test, I was away!
    Hope you passed

Do instructors and testers still insist on the 'threading the rope' steering style?

With your hands never moving from the 10 and 2 positions?

I can understand that technique the days of no power steering and with young nervous drivers holding on for dear life.

But it never proved practical when moving onto large vans, forklifts and the likes where space and visibility are at a minimum and you need to feel every small adjustment, coming back through the wheel.

I answered this question here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112676792&postcount=61

Scarinae wrote: »
    I tried learning to drive when I was 17 and found the whole thing immensely stressful, looking back I think most of it was because of my instructor. He got me to go out on the roads on my first lesson but I didn't feel safe at all, I didn't feel prepared and he was constantly texting which just added to my anxiety (although he told me it was fine because he could multitask). I'm not exaggerating when I say I was in tears I was so scared during that first lesson. He also used to drink an entire 2L bottle of Coke during each lesson and would make me pull into an Esso station towards the end so he could use the loo, while still on the clock. It really put me off driving and I never sat the test (I'm 33 now).

Do you ever get stories like that from people who have transferred to you from another instructor, or what would be the main reasons for people changing instructor?

Do you think it is harder for people to learn to drive when they are older?

What are the most common bad driving habits you see in your students?

Pupils do change from other instructors, yeah. I had one recently where an instructor asked them regularly to pull into a supermarket to get "a few bits" and was gone for 15 mins at a time which wasn't added onto the lesson. IMO that's a complete joke. We're in the car all day so sometimes toilet breaks are needed. On occasions such as those the time should ALWAYS be added on.

It is perfectly normal for an older pupil to find it harder to drive. In general a 27 year old will find it harder than a 17 year old and a 37 year will find it harder/tae longer than the 27 year old. I the last year I've had a couple of pupils in their 60s pass so my advice is find a good instructor and give it another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How many hours a week do you usually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I’m only after noticing this thread and am trying to catch up so I may have missed a few bits, sorry!

Have you a good sense of humour?

When I first took lessons I went with a recommendation from a neighbour... I practically froze for that first lesson and the one after.
    Nearly put me off actually, but I went to another guy and the minute I sat behind the wheel, i was so at ease that it did me the world of good. Had a coffee with him before the test (which I passed!) and anytime I meet that man now, we have a pint! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

1. Do you think advanced driving cert is worth it?

2. Why are emergency stops only done at low speeds? There is a massive difference between standing on the brakes at 30 and 100.

3. Have you ever had a pupil who you knew in your heart would be a 'racer' when on their own and did any of them 'exceed their talent'?

4. Have you ever heard of a pupil who passed their test having a serious accident?

5. We hear on the news with depressing frequency about the number of serious and fatal accidents on the roads. However, rarely do we ever get to hear the investigators report into what actually was the cause of the crash. so everyone carries on regardless. Do you think that there should be some improved methods of communication informing us of how and why these collisions occur - even if it means the blame being assigned to a deceased person?
    How can we learn/improve if we are not being made aware of the root cause analysis?

6. Are you living in fear of driverless cars making your job redundant? :D

7. Are you a petrolhead?

8. Do you think that all newly qualified drivers should have those sensors on the cars which monitor their driving? Indeed - should all drivers have it?

9. Is the standard of driving on our roads getting worse?

10. With the plethora of gadgets and infotainment systems on modern cars are they becoming more dangerous - have you any stories to back up this if you agree?

11. What is worse - overconfidence or underconfidence?

12. Have you ever encountered an ex-pupil driving and thought 'WTF!?!'

13. What car do you currently use for lessons?

14. Does it get frustrating when your lesson encounters heavy traffic? Does the pupil pay for the time regardless of the traffic conditions or if it was abysmal would you discount for them next lesson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

I just had a very interesting conversation with a Bulgarian lady who recently passed her driving test there.

For the theory test they have to go through a series of photo and video scans using their official ID before they enter the exam area.

For the driving test itself it always takes place in the instructors car. The instructor sits in the back usually alongside another of his/her students taking the test that day. The car has to be rigged up by the tester with a video camera and gps device and everything is recorded during the test. Everything is entered into the testers tablet.

How would you feel about that level of scrutiny coming in for Ireland in the future?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement