Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Language exemptions for Secondary school Autistic boy

• 16-11-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

My 12 year old son is in first year in Secondary school.He has high functioning autism and Dyspraxia.Does anyone know what language exemptions he could get? He's struggling with the amount of subjects he has to study so if he could drop Irish and the foreign language it would be a great help to him.Please help.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He can drop Irish anyway (mine has). The other language surely isn't mandatory, so could be dropped easy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

He can drop Irish anyway (mine has). The other language surely isn't mandatory, so could be dropped easy enough?
    Don't you have to apply for an Irish language exemption? He has to do a mandatory foreign language.How did your child get the Irish exemption? Does he do a foreign language (French or German)?

Does anyone have children in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

todolist wrote: »
    Don't you have to apply for an Irish language exemption? He has to do a mandatory foreign language.How did your child get the Irish exemption? Does he do a foreign language (French or German)?

The boss here says the school applied for it on his behalf and it was accepted.

He's first year so choosing subjects now - he actually wants to do French. A "third" language isn't mandatory in the school so he could probably avoid it if he wanted.

At the moment he's doing Irish,French and German.It's too much for him.I'm planning to write to the Principal to ask for an Irish exemption and maybe she could let him drop German and French too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

on what grounds did the school apply for your sons exemption.

on what grounds did the school apply for your sons exemption.
    He has autism and dyspraxia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

At the moment he's doing Irish,French and German.It's too much for him.I'm planning to write to the Principal to ask for an Irish exemption and maybe she could let him drop German and French too.

Why is Irish your first choice to drop?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why is Irish your first choice to drop?
    Irish is the only one you can apply for according to the dept of education.It's nothing against Irish it is just his workload in school is tough.I know i can apply for Irish but i want him to drop the foreign language too.

He has autism and dyspraxia.

My son has autism and when we went about attempting to secure an exemption for him we were told by the principle that he didn't fulfil the criteria for securing an exemption. We were told being on the autistic spectrum was not a reason for getting an exemption.

The principle is hiding behind the criteria and wont budge. He is learning his spellings off by memory but has no comprehension of the language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My son has autism and when we went about attempting to secure an exemption for him we were told by the principle that he didn't fulfil the criteria for securing an exemption. We were told being on the autistic spectrum was not a reason for getting an exemption.

The principle is hiding behind the criteria and wont budge. He is learning his spellings off by memory but has no comprehension of the language.

Criteria have changed . Has he done a test for the exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

French, german are not compulsory subjects, students do not have to study them, thats why they are no exemptions to be obtained in frech, or german. However, some school may want all students to study a language, and just to be mindful some third level colleges might look for a foreign language. For an Irish exemption, your child would have to fall under the 10th percentile in either word reading, or spelling or reading comprehension, additionally your child would have had interventions put in place to support his needs, to see if there was any improvements. Make sure whoever in the school is doing the testing, is qulified to do so. Guidelines include a parental request form for Irish exemptions - https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0052_2019.pdf

Criteria have changed . Has he done a test for the exemption?

the test I think you are talking about is reading an English passage, he would have no problem reading English.

His comprehension of English was supported through jolly phonics, unfortunately his understanding of Irish is giving him trouble as it doesn't follow any pattern similar to jolly phonics learning.

the test I think you are talking about is reading an English passage, he would have no problem reading English.

His comprehension of English was supported through jolly phonics, unfortunately his understanding of Irish is giving him trouble as it doesn't follow any pattern similar to jolly phonics learning.
    How old is your son?

How did he drop Irish? You need a reason otherwise it's compulsory.

How old is your son?

HE is 13 since November and due to go into secondary school September 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Getting a Irish exemption is not easy I have a son with moderate functioning ASD . His scores were just above the cut off for exemption . He is now struggling has no comprehension of Irish and is acting up in class because of it . Thankfully his SNA is fantastic help . He got 10 percent in Irish exam first year . It’s absolutely ridiculous that it’s so hard to get this .

alibab wrote: »
    Getting a Irish exemption is not easy I have a son with moderate functioning ASD . His scores were just above the cut off for exemption . He is now struggling has no comprehension of Irish and is acting up in class because of it . Thankfully his SNA is fantastic help . He got 10 percent in Irish exam first year . It’s absolutely ridiculous that it’s so hard to get this .

This is the issue that seems to be there with respect to an Irish exemption, it focuses on the criteria and doesn't allow any situation outside those parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

My 12 year old son is in first year in Secondary school.He has high functioning autism and Dyspraxia.Does anyone know what language exemptions he could get? He's struggling with the amount of subjects he has to study so if he could drop Irish and the foreign language it would be a great help to him.Please help.Thanks.

My understanding is unless he's scored extremely low in the English comprehension testing the only other way to get an exemption is if he is in a unit/special class [open to correction] on this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My understanding is unless he's scored extremely low in the English comprehension testing the only other way to get an exemption is if he is in a unit/special class [open to correction] on this

Untrue, he can gain an exemption through a standardized spelling test too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I'm a bit late coming into this. Hopefully at this point the OPs son has gotten the exemption. The regulations for exemption has changed since September 2019. Asiam, autism support group has relevant and easy to read articles on the site. They may also be helpful if you contact them directly. The decision to apply for exemption is at discretion of principal and they are of course guided by any psychometric testing, teacher and parental reports. If it is demonstrated that the child's difficulty in learning Irish is causing emotional upset, then an application for exemption is justified. There is also now an appeals process for parents should an exemption be rejected.

. If it is demonstrated that the child's difficulty in learning Irish is causing emotional upset, then an application for exemption is justified.

There is also now an appeals process for parents should an exemption be rejected.

emotional upset not being entertained by the principal of the school my son attends as they feel it does not fulfill the new criteria. The principal won't put a request forward and therefore we can't appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

emotional upset not being entertained by the principal of the school my son attends as they feel it does not fulfill the new criteria. The principal won't put a request forward and therefore we can't appeal.

Ah shur increased anxiety tis just fine, won't harm a child or anything! Fcuking hell, our educational system is wrecked for those on the spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

That's appalling... it's almost like they set a child up to fail and demonstrate the anxiety. As we all know, the anxiety can be contained until the child is comfortable to release and will typically happen at home. I would imagine that it's a psychologist or another clinician who determines emotional upset, together with parents reports rather than a principal who expertise is in teaching. I would ring the autism support groups. I would also write your request and copy same to principal, and any clinicians involved in your child's care. This will formalize it. Also ring NCSE and ask for guidance. It's disappointing that the principal isn't taking your concerns on board. In my case, my son was granted the exemption two months in to his first year at secondary school but I had to really assert myself and quote the emotional upset which to my knowledge remains part of the exemption criteria. I don't know if it's allowed but if it is, do pm me. Don't give up yet.

The principals suggestion to support my son was to tell him reduce the amount of spellings he does for home work!!!!!

Have been onto support groups and was told they were currently lobbying the department and had no timeline on response. We won't give up as I really fear that his participation in full time education is at risk but we seem to be going around in circles. If the principal supported our request I think we would be successful however I fear they are trying to kick it down the road until June when he no longer comes under the schools radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The principals suggestion to support my son was to tell him reduce the amount of spellings he does for home work!!!!!

Wow! The level of ignorance in our educational system regarding these matters is disturbing

I asked the HSE Psychologist if she woulld issue a letter in support of my application to the principal to exempt him from Irish.She wouldn't do it as she said he doesn't meet the criteria.He has high functioning autism and he is struggling to complete the big workload expected in Secondary school.I think my only option now to to pay a Psychologist to write a letter recommending he be exempt from Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

If it is demonstrated that the child's difficulty in learning Irish is causing emotional upset, then an application for exemption is justified. There is also now an appeals process for parents should an exemption be rejected.

Nowhere in the new guidelines does it refer to anxiety / emotional upset as being a reason for an Irish exemption. The guidelines are very clear - and anxiety is no longer a reason to obtain an Irish exemption.

Parents should also note, that it also refers in the new guidelines that students with an Irish exemption may have to undertake another subject or short course. Therefore if parents were hoping to reduce the curriculum via an Irish exemption -this may not be the case.

" think my only option now to to pay a Psychologist to write a letter recommending he be exempt from Irish.". A recommendation from a psychologist is no longer sufficient, for a student to obtain an Irish exemption they must fulfil the critieria outlined in the new guidelines.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

why is he doing french and german if they are too much for him? Is the solution here that he only does one or neither?
    Irish is not a requirement for entry into many colleges in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Have been onto support groups and was told they were currently lobbying the department and had no timeline on response. We won't give up as I really fear that his participation in full time education is at risk but we seem to be going around in circles. If the principal supported our request I think we would be successful however I fear they are trying to kick it down the road until June when he no longer comes under the schools radar.

Have you a link or number for one of these support groups ? Currently in a similar situation to the OP.

Advertisement