Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's STARTING! :o

-20 on 24 minutes, said he felt “great” out there. Circus incoming

Igotadose wrote: »
    Some interesting thoughts about NBA ratings. Shorten the season (75 games), starting it later - closer to Thanksgiving. Also, a 'mid year' tournament of some sort, similar to what all goes on with football in Europe.

I doubt anything happens unless the league's bottom line starts shrinking. imo there are way too many teams and the season's too long.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/20/the-schedule-shakeup-nba-may-make-to-combat-struggling-ratings/

I really don’t start plugging in properly to the NBA until after the Super Bowl. Right now you have football / college football / college basketball all competing with the NBA for attention - along with all of the European sports. Part of the reason free agency has become such a great thing is because it happens at a pretty dull time in the sporting calendar.

To put it another way - experience tells us maybe 6 - 8 teams are actually good, and by the time football is over we’ll know who those teams are or are likely to be. There are a lot of November / December games that you need to be a real anorak to want to watch, and your motivation is tracking young players to match up draft perceptions; maybe look at a system a rebuilt team is running, something like that.

People mainly watch live sport because:

- it matters in some way
    - it’s the only thing on

And neither of those things apply to the early part of the NBA season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Obviously the season will never be shortened because that's less ticket money for owners but I'd love to see it brought down to 58 games, just play every team twice, and ditch conferences in favour of 1-16 seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Obviously the season will never be shortened because that's less ticket money for owners but I'd love to see it brought down to 58 games, just play every team twice, and ditch conferences in favour of 1-16 seeding.

Like it. And start it later, too, closer to Xmas. Plus it could end sooner - sad that hockey ends around the same time, hard to choose what to watch as a result.

https://streamable.com/4stwx

How not self aware do you have to be to join a new team for your last chance in the league, wave off the best player on that team and go one-on-one against the best defender in the league and the current MVP?

• Advertisement

FWIW, the story about changing the structure of the schedule to include an in-season tournament and a slightly shorter regularly season (78-79 games instead of the current 82), is getting some traction. Supposedly will be voted on in the April 2020 meetings.
    Plan is for the in-season tournament to take place starting around Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November), ending before Christmas.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

How not self aware do you have to be to join a new team for your last chance in the league, wave off the best player on that team and go one-on-one against the best defender in the league and the current MVP?

That clip pretty much sums him up, he probably still thinks he has a point to prove but that ship has sailed, awesome talent with a good career but a lot of flaws

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I was so frustrated watching him do that live. Portland are in free fall, at this stage I'm hoping they don't try to make some desperate trade to save the season just so they can be swept by the Lakers as the 8 seed. Wait it out, get Collins and Nurkic back from their long term injuries and go into the off-season with a good lottery pick and a lot of young talent to trade for a proper third star like Blake or Aaron Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Unconscious shooting from Zach Lavine, good gods!

Luka hits 2000 points, 4 games faster than LeBron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The Bulls making it look they're up against the '17 Warriors.

• Advertisement

Melo was 9 / 11, +27 in a win tonight, so. If Portland aren’t competing this year, the nights be shoots well could be fun and maybe make it worth it.

Lakers sealed their 10th win in a row last night. They’ve had a very easy schedule thus far but made the most of it. Much tougher December ahead. I reckon by the New Year we’ll know a fair bit about how strong a contender they are for the West.

3 good games in a row for Melo, averaging 22/8 on splits of 57/45/89 with 3 wins. Been far more impressive than I was expecting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Harden has 57 with 2 mins left in the 3rd..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just noticed Mavs @ Lakers is live on Sky Sports YouTube page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIabBFJzNU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The future is now, old man!

Melo with Western player of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

kmart6 wrote: »
    Melo with Western player of the week.

Pure sympathy award in fairness. The Melo nostalgia trip on complete overdrive.

Harden: 47/5/7 on 78% TS
    Luka: 30/9/9 on 59% TS
    Carmelo: 22/8/3 66 TS%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Morrison J wrote: »

Haven’t been paying too much attention to be honest but he should be given credit where credit is due, iam as guilty as anyone when it comes to bashing him but fair play to him for this spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I've followed the Knicks for maybe 12 years now.
    From the days of David Lee and Nate Robinson while equally unsuccessful were at least entertaining.
    It's a horrible mess now, throwing money at average journeymrn and a large amount of similar in role/ability players during a panic spell late in the summer was crazy.

There is of course one constant in all of that time and until he goes this won't change, toxic it is.
    Imagine all the free agents in the last decade who turned down the chance to be the king in NY by turning Knicks around and refused to play under the owner.

Can't fire the owner. There was a story last week that Dolan may sell his interest in the hockey team, but he'd never sell the Knicks. The fans continue to fill the place, why should he?

Fizdale can't be blamed for terrible personnel decisions and bad injuries (Porzingas last year). Can't fire the players either.

Rodney Hood torn achilles, Portland without their staring SF, PF, and C for the majority of the season, officially time to tank.

Metta World Peace wants the Knicks head coaching job.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28239621/metta-world-peace-campaigns-twitter-knicks-head-coaching-job

Sure, why not. Team won't be good for a long time, and Peace is loony tunes still. Probably will be slugging it out with the opposition and attacking referees. It'd be entertaining for awhile.

Knicks winning percentage since 2000: .400. Worst team in the league, percentage-wise in that period.

Rodney Hood torn achilles, Portland without their staring SF, PF, and C for the majority of the season, officially time to tank.

Just give Melo 40 minutes a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've followed the Knicks for maybe 12 years now.
    From the days of David Lee and Nate Robinson while equally unsuccessful were at least entertaining.
    It's a horrible mess now, throwing money at average journeymrn and a large amount of similar in role/ability players during a panic spell late in the summer was crazy.

There is of course one constant in all of that time and until he goes this won't change, toxic it is.
    Imagine all the free agents in the last decade who turned down the chance to be the king in NY by turning Knicks around and refused to play under the owner.

Been away for a while with work and some personal stuff.

Despite everything, Knicks become the first team to break $4BN valuation barrier according to Forbes, saw a feature on it in the US last week.

Luka breaks Jordan's record of consecutive games of 20/5/5. Unreal.

I've been a huge fan since befiore he was drafted and said anyone who passed on him would regret it, but I didn't see this - I don't think anyone did to be fair. He's 20 FFS.

Watched a couple of full Mavs games last week in the US (incl. the Lakers game), despite everything he still looks aslittle overweight and slow at times - I know the Bird comparisons are inevitable and have been made but you'd have to think there's even more room for him to improve physically, which is scary.

Morrison J wrote: »

To be fair, most of the commentary I saw in the US last week on the talking heads shows were laughing at it.

I can understand the Suns drafting the hometown kid at #1.

I can understand Atlanta trading down to get Trae Young and an extra pick.

I CANNOT understand Sacramento selecting Marvin Bagley ahead of Luka Doncic.

• Advertisement

I can understand the Suns drafting the hometown kid at #1.

I can understand Atlanta trading down to get Trae Young and an extra pick.

I CANNOT understand Sacramento selecting Marvin Bagley ahead of Luka Doncic.

TBH I struggle with the Suns pick as at the time their coach was the Serbian National/Luka's National Team Coach. You'd think if anyone would have known his value and could make a convincing argument to take him it would have been him. I understand they had Booker, but he's in a different backcourt position and for me you take the best available talent and figure things out afterwards (even if that's trading that talent down the line).

American dissing of the Euroleague and European players also played a part.

The only one I can justify on any level is Atlanta having listened to Shlenk talk about it on I think Woj's pod last year. Doncic is clearly the better player but their logic at the time was understandable to a degree.

Advertisement