Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a US police officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Also, do us all a favour and ignore the 'all US cops are racist murderers' comments. It's embarrassing for us reading it, too!

I never said that

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where do you serve work?
    Better.

Or where are you stationed. Some of the nonsense is best left over the pond.

:D

Ever accidentally brought a bullet on a plane? I only ask because a friend’s wife did a couple of weeks ago. A 9mm round, which she dutifully handed in to a south dublin Garda station. There was a bit of form filling to be done. She serves works in a large metropolitan area on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Do you act like glorified tax collectors like the guards do here by doing nothing only setting up checkpoints to check tax and insurance every day of the week while real crime happens all around you

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Precisely the point. (12.6% account for 37% of crime).
    I am just going to leave it at that.

But they don't.
    Arrests and conviction rates are skewed.
    Again, I have a low number of posts and cannot post links. But I can PM them to you if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Was Police Academy a documentary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do you act like glorified tax collectors like the guards do here by doing nothing only setting up checkpoints to check tax and insurance every day of the week while real crime happens all around you

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

What do you like to do when you're not working ?

Fishing ?

Hiking ?

Shooting ranges ?

Golf ?

Family Time ?

Hunting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What are your thoughts on LivePD? I find it interesting but wonder how cherrypicked it is, guys who know they're on TV etc. vs the reality of the job, that we sometimes see leaked on youtube.

Which reminds me: how challenging is it to enforce against motorcycles?

Thoughts/remarks on 1st Amendment 'enforcers'? Looking for trouble? Important exercise?

What's your insight on Police forces vs. Sheriff Departments, because of the politics of the Sheriff being elected vs. Chief being appointed. I notice in SC, most major city forces are generally a bit nicer than county, aside from infamous speed traps like Cottageville where its all a huge racket. Does the differences in accountability seem in your experience to make them more or less prone to be 'us vs them?'

Finally, what is your perspective on the nature of the beast when it comes to Police Departments taking the 'fraternity' culture too far: departments that won't tell you your badge number, won't let you get a form to file a complaint against a fellow officer, or like that one cop in Miami some years ago, will go out of their way to ruin 'one of their own' that enforces the law against another LEO, - and WHY does it always seem like cops in the public domain always close ranks and never call a bad cop a bad cop? Personally, I'm frustrated as a citizen that it feels like, in at least a small number of high profile cases, that bad cops are not adequately called out by bad cops. As you mentioned there are just too many silos, too many departments, too many disparate training regimens, but what are the common threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Fair play doing this AMA, I couldn’t be a cop in America.

Just wondering, if you guys attend a traumatic incident (say a shooting, murder, bad traffic accident etc) or experience a traumatic experience first hand (assault, shooting etc), what supports does your department have in place for ye?

As in, do ye get counselling or anything or just left to fend for yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What did you do before joining, was the decision to join a career change or sort of always in the plan?

Whats the joining process in the states like, I'm currently going through recruitment for NZ Police and it's a very long drawn out process...

• Advertisement

I never said that

There's a lot of things i wish you never said, now will you cop on and get out of the thread.

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

Is there corruption in the/your police force? Have you ever seen or witnessed it?

Don’t know, it’s not like someone is going to say over coffee “while I was collecting my bribes last week…” We have had officers who made poor choices, soliciting sexual favours on a traffic stop, forming a relationship with a previous victim (which became a domestic violence issue), drunk driving & domestic violence on their partner. They were all found out quickly, sanctions ranged from fired (all of them) to jail time. It’s pretty hard to keep secrets these days and if you’ve been fired it’s very difficult to work for another agency, or at least a decent one. I’ve never seen anything beyond routine officer discretion and if I did, I’d report it. I’m not losing my career over some dope

Why is the police force suffering with so much corruption?

It’s not, most of us do a decent job, go home and come back the next day, and so on. There are over 850,000 sworn officers of one kind or another in the US. So odds are there are some bad apples, I don’t condone it, but I’m a realist. These assholes make life difficult for the rest of us.

Do you screw people over or are you one that actually listens and gives people respect obviously this must be both ways of course?

I do my job. If enforcing the law is screwing people over, then I suppose so. I look at the totality of the circumstances. I’m professional, don’t really like shouting at people or being rude (I hate rude cops). Will I write you for broken brake lights? Depends, if your DL check comes back with multiple traffic offenses, and you choose to be rude and aggressive, then probably. Not to “screw you” but to help the violator understand they need to obey the law & follow the rules. You have a clean record, are reasonably pleasant, maybe you won’t get a ticket. All depends.

Have you been in many shooting incidents?

Been shot at once, never fired back. I’m ok with that, no real desire to take another life. I’ve seen firsthand how that works out for the officer, it’s horrible.

How to you find winding down or copping with stress is best achieved.

I have an amazing, very communicative spouse, I work out and spend time with friends. Everyone has their own way of coping, some fish, hunt, fix old cars, do carpentry, whatever floats your boat.

What's the best cruiser you've ever driven?

I liked the Chevrolet Tahoe.

What's the most rewarding pert of the job....

Answered on a previous post.

Do you love giving tickets?

No strong feelings either way, it’s part of the job. Does a barman like pulling pints? Does a plumber like fixing pipes?

Why do the FBI have those oversized badges? Is it a case of small man syndrome?

No idea, their badges aren’t much bigger ours. Agency choice I suppose

khaldrogo wrote: »
    27 years is very short for a full career in something. Retired by 50.....what do you do with the rest of your life??

27 years on front line law enforcement is enough for me thanks. As I said, I plan on travelling, finish my PhD and do some teaching part time. I'm fortunate to have started relatively young and this far have avoided any life altering injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

No surprise here to see that the usual Irish attitude of begrudgery towards someone successful is alive and well here on Boards.
    "Oh look at this fella who moved abroad and made a successful career for himself - He must have notions, I had better get a few sly smart arsed digs in to bring him down a notch or two". ye must have little doing in your own life to have to resort to the likes of that to make yourselves feel better by knocking someone else.

Anyway, I have a question that is neither complex nor argumentative.....
    1. Have you ever shot people?
    2. If yes then how many of those were African americans or another minority?

Do you know of other officers that are corrupted?

Example they lie and say they seen something but weren't even there.

I suffered from this and it was a Irish cop in Dublin.(Gaurd)

He made up a false statement and even changed a witness name on a sworn statement.

He had me in court 4 times over something I didn't even do and had actual witnesses stating so.

Haven't seen it personally, not saying it doesn't happen. Can't speak to your situation, don't know the facts. If a Garda is willing to face scrutiny in court with fabricated evidence 7 statements, then he/she is either stupid/brave or the defense lawyers are asleep at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I assume you do regular target shooting practice with the guns right? Shooting at those silhouettes with the different scores for different areas of the body and all that.

I notice that the target figure on those is invariably black. And I also recall that they are rarely if ever depicted as being armed! Is it intentional or by chance that shooting practice is done using unarmed black figures?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What's your favourite flavour of donut? Have you ever arrived at a truly bizarre scene of the "man with his something stuck somewhere" or "crazy naked lady on meth doing something" variety that you couldn't help laughing your ass off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

I assume you do regular target shooting practice with the guns right? Shooting at those silhouettes with the different scores for different areas of the body and all that.

I notice that the target figure on those is invariably black. And I also recall that they are rarely if ever depicted as being armed! Is it intentional or by chance that shooting practice is done using unarmed black figures?

Well if they were white figures ya wouldn’t see them on a white background genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What's some of your favorite types of beat/duty/enforcement activity? Eg. a really fun hiding spot/tactic to catch speeders, doing downtown foot patrol, cruising neighborhoods, rounds, jailkeeping, unmarked car patrol, narcotics, etc.

Aside from DUI, what's some of the traffic offenses people do that just really grind your gears.

Has the current political situation with trump and co in power lead to less thrust within the communities your patrolling especially with the sizeable Mexican population in Austin?

I’m not commenting on my specific location. Yes, the current administration has made the immigrant and to some extent certain minority communities less trustful of us. We generally had good relations; all things considered. Now victims won’t come forward to report, of if they do, they won’t give us enough to go after the perp, they are scared.

Is Texas hard to police with a lot of rural areas and proximity to the border as well as larger city areas.

I work in an urban to semi urban area, can’t speak for the border. In the remote areas, officers are further from back up & other help, that’s certainly a challenge.

Have you ever caught a really big fish for something silly like driving without a seatbelt or no tax and insurance?

I’ve nabbed a few felons over the years on traffic stops, it does have a degree of satisfaction I will admit. Best way to avoid the police if you are wanted: slow down, wear your seat belt, don’t drive drunk. The really smart ones all live in condo’s in the Caribbean and stay away from us.

What’s your views on the relationship between easy gun ownership and mass shootings?

That’s a complex question, and it has been studied at length on both sides. There is a relationship, but as to whether it’s cause & effect, that’s the rub. It’s on oversimplification to say “Ireland has strict gun laws, and no mass shooting, therefore strict guns laws are the answer”. Guns are a reality here, no getting away from that, but I am a strong supporter of tighter gun laws. It won’t solve everything but it’s better than the current process.

And how do you view the NRA solution that we need more citizens to be armed to prevent mass shootings?

The “good guy with a gun” is bollocks peddled by the NRA. Both the FBI and the US DOJ have studied this and debunk the theory. A gun owner is more likely do have their own gun used against them, shoot an innocent or have it fall into a child’s hands than ever shoot a bad guy. Will tighter laws prevent a shooting? hard to say, some will always have them (look at the gangs in Ireland), but if it prevented one mass shooting, I submit then it's a "win".

• Advertisement

I think you're an idiot trying to derail the thread... but I have to confess I did laugh at that. :p

The number of people incarcerated in the US increased by approximately 500% from 1980 to 2016. 1980: 319,598, 2016: 1,505,400
    Link - (https://sentencingproject.org/wp-con...orrections.pdf)

Why do you think that is?
    Better detection rates?
    Increase in crimes committed?
    The development of Prisons as a for profit enterprise?

Do you think the country is safer now than it was in 1980?
    Do you think that the criminal justice system in the US is making society safer through reducing the likelihood of crimes being committed in to the future?

Good questions, great reference too!!

Is the country safer, well I suppose so, but it's not just the laws. Cars are safer, health care is better, kids wear bike helmets, etc. Not being facetious, but its not just the laws. In 1980 there were no cell phones & lots of drunk drivers, so we tightened the DD laws & raised the drinking age. That helped I'm sure but it's hard to draw a cause & effect directly. However, now we are texting & driving, so more of those accidents......

There is some great research on this subject. My take: the US went hard in the 1980's with the "War on Drugs" and "Three strikes and you are out" thing, so we ended up locking up more people per capita than any other western country. As I mentioned earlier, we are quick to criminalize things which (IMHO) are not really crimes and would be better served spending the money of a social safety net and education, it's cheaper in the long run. I've been reading about the Swedish criminal justice system, it focuses on rehab and reform, not the Victorian model of punishment. Swedish recidivism rate is something like 48% compared to something like 80% in the US.

Detection has gotten better, we use more science (DNA, forensics, IT) and the profession is better trained & educated too. That probably contributes too.

For profit prisons: Worst idea ever. Lets put a bunch of criminals, a high number of whom have mental health issues, lack basic education, substance abuse, etc and lock them up for 15 hours a day with no recreation, education, etc and supervise them with minimum wage guards FFS!!! It boggles the mind.
    Do you think that the criminal justice system in the US is making society safer through reducing the likelihood of crimes being committed in to the future?

Sorry, I can't predict the future, no idea.

Folks,

I'm diligently working on answering all your questions, bear in mind there is one of me and lots of questions. Some of the questions are really good which require substantive answers, so bear with me, I'll do more tomorrow as time allows. I'm attempting to give all your questions their day in court!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Whats the funniest thing that's ever happened to you at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

HI,

Thanks for such an informative AMA, best I've read in a while. So much so that I'm asking my first AMA questions haha

Have you ever arrested someone who has gone on to receive the death penalty or life without parole (or any other long sentence) and how did it make you feel when you heard the ruling?

Being based in TX means you see your fair share of severe weather i.e super-cells. As such, what type of relationship do you have with storm chasers? When you see a convoy going full tilt towards a storm producing a deadly tornado, do you flag them down and give them a ticket or acknowledge that the work they so provides valuable insight into better understanding these storms and plays a large role in saving multiple lives annually... or is it a case of "man there's an F3 or 4 barreling down on me, I'm not dealing with this sh*t now"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You mentioned an obscure law about selling cars at the weekend. Have you ever heard of anyone enforcing this or any other bizarre law and what was the result?

You’ve been doing this job for about a quarter of a century now so I’m presuming you have a good bit of foresight about how things may go. What is the one particular day or event where you know you’re going to be busy eg Fourth of July, big game or particular weather pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Great Ama
    What has been the thoughest day/ shift you have put down and how did it affect you in the aftermath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

What is the most ridiculous excuse you have heard a defense attorney give in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great AMA, thanks for doing this.

How did you end up in Texas from Ireland?

The different law agencies in each district, can you give us a brief synopsis of what one does and how they are supposed to differ from each other please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Do you watch The First 48? Love that show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement