Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fontaines DC - Lyric repetition

• 24-05-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

is it just me or is this annoying anyone else...
    Its a great album but the amount of repeating lyrics in the songs
    is a big problem for me, I really like his lyrics so its really
    disappointing that he does so much repeating
    its really lazy in my eyes when he can clearly write
    interesting stories

Roys tune is the same verse sung exactly the same twice and thats it!
    Lots of repetition in most other songs too

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Hi fourmations, I had similar thoughts but then I just got over it...
    Sometimes I find myself to they should do it my way, or please me. how about they just do what works for them and then if I like it i like it...

Though I do think that if it is laziness then its a pity but it kindof makes or adds to the song in its own way.
    I guess it depends on the intentions.

Grain(sp) also gave a n interview were he says something like - the more you repeat a word the more it loses its meaning - the example he gave was lamp lamp ...

Thought that was an interesting take, but I find his interviews pretty refreshing to a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its a common enough thing in pop and to be honest it works. Personally, I've never listened to a song because of its message, more because of its 'feel' - and that repetitive lyric contributes to this.

Morrissey and the Smiths would be a particular example, and no one had ever said his lyrics are repetitive.

I am the son
    And the heir
    Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
    I am the son and heir
    Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
    How can you say
    I go about things the wrong way?
    I am human and I need to be loved
    Just like everybody else does

I am the son
    And the heir
    Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
    I am the son and heir
    Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
    How can you say
    I go about things the wrong way?
    I am human and I need to be loved
    Just like everybody else does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

A lot of artists repeat lyrics in order to hammer home a point or a message. Idles definitely do this as well. I wouldn't call it laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Performing on the Mercury prize shortly....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

They seem to be gone huge

• Advertisement

They deserve it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Priscilla Skinny Grocer

They're interesting, but they're not Idles or Little Simz.

Thank fcuk.....

Good performance....Ian Curtis would be proud...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Ah well.....at least they tried.....never had a chance imo....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Wouldn't have said Fontaines repeat lyrics moreso than any other popular music act really?

Also would rate them way more than Idles, who are massively overrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ah the do in fairness but I like it as a stylistic choice. I don't think they were just lazy and forgot to write a few extra verses before going into the recording studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

For some reason I get the whiff of a gimmick off Idles. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Granadino wrote: »
    For some reason I get the whiff of a gimmick off Idles. :confused:

I used to think Idles were great, but the more you listen to them the more boring they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Awful name

Landfill indie

The new Kodaline/Coronas/Blizzards (delete as appropriate)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Awful name

Landfill indie

The only connection I see between them and the bands you've mentioned is that they're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I wouldn't sat they're landfill indie, but, as with all music, the hype machine is too much sometimes. The edgy post punk stuff has been done already. (see Murder Capital , Idles etc). The Walkmen, Wire etc did it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Enjoyed the new album and feel honoured they covered killing jokes “aeon” and called it televised mind :)

They need a stylist

Or they need to sack their stylist

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

maybe mayos finest ever band?

• Advertisement

gourcuff wrote: »
    maybe mayos finest ever band?

They have two members from Mayo?

:confused:

They have two members from Mayo?

:confused:

2 from Mayo 1 from Dublin and a tan with a dub accent:)

Awful name

Landfill indie

Jaysus Christ that’s a horrific comparison

Jaysus Christ that’s a horrific comparison

Is it though?

You have Kodaline who for all intents and purposes a boyband aiming themselves at a teen demographic, The Coronas with their middle class, Terenure by way of California sensibilities creating music for people who don't like music, the f*ckwhattery of The Blizzards and their primma donna front man being a bastardized mix of Busted and some early noughties Power Punk landfill by way of Mullingar singing about GP visits and their mams catching them w*nking

Then there's the Fontaines - sings like Christy Dignam, play the salt o'the earth Dub card, but their lyrical neuroses are that of glorified art students.

The common denominator in all 4 is there's no authenticity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

And the winner for one of the most conceited, arrogant, obnoxious and superior posts of all time goes to.....
    Is it though?

You have Kodaline who for all intents and purposes a boyband aiming themselves at a teen demographic, The Coronas with their middle class, Terenure by way of California sensibilities creating music for people who don't like music, the f*ckwhattery of The Blizzards and their primma donna front man being a bastardized mix of Busted and some early noughties Power Punk landfill by way of Mullingar singing about GP visits and their mams catching them w*nking

Then there's the Fontaines - sings like Christy Dignam, play the salt o'the earth Dub card, but their lyrical neuroses are that of glorified art students.

And you're looking for authenticity, but you're determining that people who like a certain band do so because they don't actually like music? How does that work. "I like Coronas". "Eh, you don't like music if you like Coronas". What a load of bollix.

You sound like someone who could bore people to tears pontificating about music, with the sole purpose of demonstrating how cool your music taste, and how much more you know about "cool" music than others do. The fact is that genuinely cool people are authentic, and considerably more secure in themselves than you come across.

And the winner for one of the most conceited, arrogant, obnoxious and superior posts of all time goes to.....

And you're looking for authenticity, but you're determining that people who like a certain band do so because they don't actually like music? How does that work. "I like Coronas". "Eh, you don't like music if you like Coronas". What a load of bollix.

You sound like someone who could bore people to tears pontificating about music, with the sole purpose of demonstrating how cool your music taste, and how much more you know about "cool" music than others do. The fact is that genuinely cool people are authentic, and considerably more secure in themselves than you come across.

We'll just both agree that I'm right, there's a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Is it though?

Who do you consider to be "authentic"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Are they being pushed as a working band

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

They are getting covered as working class, you don't go to BIMM if you are working class. The singer was born in England, does an over the top to the point of a piss take Dublin accent and not called on it. The music's incredibly easy to write, here is my take on it

• Advertisement

Joffrey wrote: »
    They are getting covered as working class, you don't go to BIMM if you are working class. The singer was born in England, does an over the top to the point of a piss take Dublin accent and not called on it. The music's incredibly easy to write, here is my take on it

Amazing :D

Advertisement