Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The hub controller

Options
  • 25-10-2018 9:08pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I been thinking about upgrading my heating to smart, but totally new to it.

I wonder does anyone know anything about the hub controller, they have them on sale in Woodies a couple of weeks ago I think it also included free install, any information good or bad will be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

nava wrote: »
    I been thinking about upgrading my heating to smart, but totally new to it.

I wonder does anyone know anything about the hub controller, they have them on sale in Woodies a couple of weeks ago I think it also included free install, any information good or bad will be helpful.
    Did you ever upgrade to this? What's it like? Simple.to use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

davegilly wrote: »
    Did you ever upgrade to this? What's it like? Simple.to use?

No, getting it install next month or 2, they are running some free installs I think part of a government grant, so I will get it for free. You can sign up here free install is only for houses built before 2007

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Never heard of it.
    I had a look at the link and it is very light on the details of how the claimed reduction in heating bills are actually achieved. For this reason I would be skeptical.

nava wrote: »
    No, getting it install next month or 2, they are running some free installs I think part of a government grant, so I will get it for free. You can sign up here free install is only for houses built before 2007
    My mother is getting the same thing, that's why I was asking. Details are light and she is a little skeptical so some info to appease her would be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

Did anyone get this and any feedback on it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Aidan No1

I had it installed at the weekend.
    Very straight forward process.

Filled in the form on the website.

Received an email requesting more information about when the house was built and a picture of the current controller for switching on and off the boiler.

A guy rang me about 2 weeks later to arrange a time time install.

He arrived and left 30 minutes later. (It was his 81st install this week)

The Device works great, control from an APP or at the touch screen console.

No cost, No inconvenience No hassle

Sound filled out form and sent all details this week so hopfully won't be waiting too long

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Does this work with multiple zones? My current setup is 2 zones and hot water. Is the touchscreen device installed as digital timer or thermostat? Thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kave2 wrote: »
    Does this work with multiple zones? My current setup is 2 zones and hot water. Is the touchscreen device installed as digital timer or thermostat? Thanks

Yes and no. It will work, but only on 1 zone. I have 2 zones and 1 hot water zone. I have it installed on 1 of the zones. So I still need the existing unit for my hot water (which is fine). The other zone is a separate living areas that has its own independent controls for that particular zone.

The unit installed is a timer and thermostat. I originally had 1 thermostat and 1 control unit. Now for my "single zone" heating I have the touchscreen that is my timer and thermostat. My hot water still runs off the existing timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

antodeco wrote: »
    Yes and no. It will work, but only on 1 zone. I have 2 zones and 1 hot water zone. I have it installed on 1 of the zones. So I still need the existing unit for my hot water (which is fine). The other zone is a separate living areas that has its own independent controls for that particular zone.

The unit installed is a timer and thermostat. I originally had 1 thermostat and 1 control unit. Now for my "single zone" heating I have the touchscreen that is my timer and thermostat. My hot water still runs off the existing timer.

I also had it installed after signing up here.

https://www.thehubcontroller.com/trial?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZbQl6Ka4AIVirTtCh3NqgMNEAAYASAAEgLTLvD_BwE

Great service and product and it was free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I have to say the service from this crowd leaves alot to be desired. I was notified just before Christmas that my install was imminent in the following weeks after Christmas, it's now the middle of February and last week, when I enquired what was happening with my install date I was told I was pushed out due to a lack of supply of the hub controller units. Quite frankly the service here is sub standard and at this stage I would not be recommending this to anyone. There seems to be an excuse everytime I enquire about my install date. Absolutely shocking carry on.

I have to say the service from this crowd leaves alot to be desired. I was notified just before Christmas that my install was imminent in the following weeks after Christmas, it's now the middle of February and last week, when I enquired what was happening with my install date I was told I was pushed out due to a lack of supply of the hub controller units. Quite frankly the service here is sub standard and at this stage I would not be recommending this to anyone. There seems to be an excuse everytime I enquire about my install date. Absolutely shocking carry on.

I feel your pain as I’m getting the same runaround myself but at the end of the day the thing is free!! You could always just go out and buy one if you want one that bad?

Getting it for free though so I can only imagine there's a high volume of requests for it. Where abouts you from cause my sister whos living in dublin got hers last week and applied after me I am still waiting in Galway but don't mind it considering its a free service your signing up to

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

It's free yes, I would be saying the same in your shoes guys. However being told umteen times that I'll be getting a call next week for installation by the hub controller customer support for nearly 2 months now is getting a bit tired and quite frankly it's getting a bit predicable. Yes I could go out and buy one or similar but to be honest I couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Got one installed today in Dublin area after registering in January. I chased them up once about it when I had heard nothing.
    Installation was quick and guy was friendly. Not sure how 'smart' it is yet but worth a try for free.. Will post again in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

Registered 18th February. Free install today. Lovely job absolutely delighted with it. Service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi
    I currently signed up and am waiting now for installer to contact me within 2 x weeks that was 15th Feb my existing system has no controller only a timer. How are people finding it that have it installed?
    Besides turning Boiler on and off through the app or touchscreen can you control the temperature up or down ?
    Any other functionality
    My system has only 1 x Zone but has manual TRV on the radiators
    Would appreciate any info Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've been accepted but currently discussing my options with them over mail.

They are saying that my heating will become 1 zone, I have downstairs and an upstairs controlled by manual thermostats currently and my water tank will be separate. I don't feel this is very inefficient as I only occasionally put the heating on upstairs or at least on a lower setting.

Are there better solutions I could be looking at that would allow control over 2 heating zones and the water tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've been accepted but currently discussing my options with them over mail.

They are saying that my heating will become 1 zone, I have downstairs and an upstairs controlled by manual thermostats currently and my water tank will be separate. I don't feel this is very inefficient as I only occasionally put the heating on upstairs or at least on a lower setting.

Are there better solutions I could be looking at that would allow control over 2 heating zones and the water tank?

there are several other options - Nest, Hive, Tado, Honeywell, Drayton can all do multiple zone and some are modular so you can add smart valves to your radiators and control individual rooms. HubController seems very basic and I'd be concerned about long-term support for the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

kungfual wrote: »
    Got one installed today in Dublin area after registering in January. I chased them up once about it when I had heard nothing.
    Installation was quick and guy was friendly. Not sure how 'smart' it is yet but worth a try for free.. Will post again in a few weeks

Any update on how this is going for you?

Got installation date for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Got an email from geo pal solutions saying a installation will take place soon dunno if its to do with this crowd or not haha anyone know?

Hi
    How long did it take from getting approved to install notification

Gerard93 wrote:
    Hi How long did it take from getting approved to install notification

I am waiting over 3 months now in fairness its free so can't complain but I think they wait till there is enough sign ups in the area before ya get installed. So outside of Dublin ya be waiting a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

I got approval 6th March and installed today

I am waiting over 3 months now in fairness its free so can't complain but I think they wait till there is enough sign ups in the area before ya get installed. So outside of Dublin ya be waiting a good bit

Thanks for the update, looks like I will be waiting a while!

Would be interested to hear how people are finding the controller

Gerard93 wrote:
    Would be interested to hear how people are finding the controller

Will keep updated when ever I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

I've had it a couple of weeks now, and it is working ok, but have had a few issues.

Both my wife and I have the app installed, if she changes a setting on it - turns on the heating, or changes on/off schedule times, those changes don't appear in my app, just on the hub itself. So I had set a weekly schedule and unknown to me she had too, so we had two sets of on/off times mostly overlapping. Had to delete all schedules from the apps and setup again on the hub.

Also the hub screen sometimes displays the wrong info - like the heating is off, when it is obviously on, navigating around a few menus updates it but it's a bug.

Can't seem to connect Alexa either, or I can connect it, but then it is gone again a day later and says I have no hubs connected.

Very difficult to find any real information on how or what the 'smart' capabilities are. I read on their website it takes a few weeks for the hub to learn... not sure what it is learning though as it just comes on at the scheduled times and turns off if/when it hits the desired temp.

Hopefully they are still actively supporting it and there will be updates, both to the hub and app.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I signed up for the free install last week and asked if it can support a 2 zone plus HW. The site says it can support multiple zones and hubs ? does this mean if you want to zone the house you need a hub for each zone. also if the app doesnt update when more than one user logs in to change the schedule then you can say goodbye to any fuel saving if the software isnt up to scratch. does anyone have any photos of the actual unit and the touch screen in action

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Thinking of getting one of these systems installed and filled the initial details online. Can anyone tell me if you can use the system for hot water. We have just 2 zones, 1is the rads on all over the house and the 2nd "zone" is the hot water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

IJS84 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these systems installed and filled the initial details online. Can anyone tell me if you can use the system for hot water. We have just 2 zones, 1is the rads on all over the house and the 2nd "zone" is the hot water

No it's only for 1 zone.

They are giving it free because the are doing via the Heating Control Grants so you might be able to get a better system for both zones using the grant.

Advertisement