Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes in the GAA - super thread

• 11-07-2018 8:14am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The moderators and many other posters are getting tired with silly bickering breaking out on many threads and it taking those threads so far off topic.

So if you want to discuss county funding or how the GAA should change, moan about the fact that your county gets a hard time in the draw, that the GAA fixtures are clashing with any sporting event etc etc etc, it goes here. If is a moan or complaint, it goes here.

Anyone taking other threads off topic, or taking points of view from this into other threads and cross thread posting will be carded and/or banned. Anybody soapboxing in other threads will be banned and a limited amount allowed on here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What are we supposed to do in work then?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

If legitimate concerns about the future of the GAA doesn't merit discussion on this GAA forum then what is the point of it? There's none is there? But I suppose we'll treat it as a bit of craic. :D I'll kick this supermoan thread off soon with everyone's favorite topic. Stay tuned.

Questions about the funding Dublin GAA has received and what should happen Now

1. Why give Dublin nearly 50% of the funding for the past 13 years? They don't have 50% of the population and the rest of the counties got a fairly even portion of the money.

2. Why was Dublin chosen for special treatment above all other counties? Wouldn't the 6 counties have been more deserving if we were going down the special circumstances route?

3. What explanation is there for the huge increase in titles at the same time as the huge increase in funding? 53 titles in the past 13 years post funding and 53 titles in the 39 years pre funding.

4. Should the money be stopped? Should Dublin GAA continue to be bankrolled while other counties in hurling and football struggle?

5. Would splitting Dublin into 4 make it easier for each region to streamline resources and target participation levels locally? If not why not?

6. Dublin will have nearly 2 million people in 2030. Other counties will have less than 200,000 people with some having less than 100,000. How is this sustainable?

7. If no split occurs, what do you envisage happening? Everything staying the same? An elite group of teams breaking away? The game going professional?

8. Would you be in favour of an elite group forming? The game going professional? How would it work?

I think that's a good list of questions for now. Obviously these questions are not just for Dublin supporters, this is all of our decision.

If Dublin has 2,000,000 people in 2030, and the country 6,000,000, the structure of the championship will be the least of your worries.

You will be on Ryanair flight if you have any sense!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If Dublin has 2,000,000 people in 2030, and the country 6,000,000, the structure of the championship will be the least of your worries.

You will be on Ryanair flight if you have any sense!

There's loads of other questions there that you missed.

We already have a population of nearly 7 million. Around 6.6 million and Dublin will have about 1.6 million in 2030, I apologise but having nearly 2 million will come soon after. I don't really get your point.

• Advertisement

Typo, meant 8,000,000 altogether but 2,000,000 in Dublin be accurate. You should read Project 2040 and see where the projected increase is largely to come from.

What I mean is that this country will have changed beyond recognition within next quarter of a century. And not for the better if we look at our neighbours across the sea, France, Italy and other European countries. Will there even be a GAA in 2050?

Yeah, sure someone could set off a nuclear bomb tomorrow. That'll split Dublin then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I don't post on here overly often but this thread is pathetic tbh. You have just censored down some of the biggest talking points of Gaelic Games.

Welcome to China.

Most often disagree with you DM, but would never support anyone not being allowed have their opinion. Lots of people have posts removed and are sometimes suspended.

I'm going to link an article that's just full on moaning, it definitely belongs in this thread for moaners and it in no way reflects genuine concerns about Gaelic football. It's just a moanfest that shouldn't be discussed properly on this GAA forum.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/this-is-not-what-i-signed-up-for--neil-ewings-anger-disdain-and-hope-855152.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,822 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yesterday was a bad start for the Super8's which immediately showed up a few issues one of which was how Dublin approached the closing quarter. They basically killed the game much to the disappointment of Donegal fans and a goodly share of their own I would imagine.

If they are gonna use this tactic to conserve themselves for the next game then they might as well knock Super8's on the head imo.
    They are using the superior strength, fitness and conditioning, squad depth etc only they can seem to invest in to their advantage.

Nothing you can say is intrinsically wrong/against the rules with that but it will frustrate the life out of this new experiment. Not at all sure what can be done about it but pretending this is not becoming an issue is wrong too.

Is the access to larger resources showing as an unfair advantage again?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yesterday was a bad start for the Super8's which immediately showed up a few issues one of which was how Dublin approached the closing quarter. They basically killed the game much to the disappointment of Donegal fans and a goodly share of their own I would imagine.

If they are gonna use this tactic to conserve themselves for the next game then they might as well knock Super8's on the head imo.
    They are using the superior strength, fitness and conditioning, squad depth etc only they can seem to invest in to their advantage.

Nothing you can say is intrinsically wrong/against the rules with that but it will frustrate the life out of this new experiment. Not at all sure what can be done about it but pretending this is not becoming an issue is wrong too.

Is the access to larger resources showing as an unfair advantage again?

It is completely wrong to blame Dublin for the last 15 minutes of the game yesterday.

Anyone who was in Croke Park yesterday saw that Donegal just gave up and retreated behind the ball to keep the score down. If you want to criticise a team, you should criticise them for their cowardly approach.

Dublin are winners, they have adapted to every challenge put to them so far.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is completely wrong to blame Dublin for the last 15 minutes of the game yesterday.

Anyone who was in Croke Park yesterday saw that Donegal just gave up and retreated behind the ball to keep the score down. If you want to criticise a team, you should criticise them for their cowardly approach.

Dublin are winners, they have adapted to every challenge put to them so far.

I seen them turn back too often for that contention. It was part of the game plan.

I seen them turn back too often for that contention. It was part of the game plan.

The game plan to win!

How dare they :)

Perhaps we should revert to having entire team in our own half even when 5 points down, or more traditionally launching mighty boots of the ball into the air not giving a fk once some fine chap from the Kingdom jumps 18 feet into the sky and everyone stands back to admire him.

Ah no....

The game plan to win!

How dare they :)

Perhaps we should revert to having entire team in our own half even when 5 points down, or more traditionally launching mighty boots of the ball into the air not giving a fk once some fine chap from the Kingdom jumps 18 feet into the sky and everyone stands back to admire him.

Ah no....

Why so cross?

None of us want to see GAA go that way do we?

I don't know what the solution is but I have a fair idea why it is happening. They used their superior fitness and conditioning, and they have that superior fitness and conditioning because they have the resources and therefore the time to invest in it.

That is not the same for all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Give 2 points for any score (excluding frees and 45s) for any score outside the 45. Players need an incentive to take more long distance shots.

Why so cross?

I don't know what the solution is but I have a fair idea why it is happening. They used their superior fitness and conditioning, and they have that superior fitness and conditioning because they have the resources and therefore the time to invest in it.

I'm not cross. I am happy :)

Dublin are better team because they have better players and a better management. They all have the same other demands on them as other counties.

Do you think Monaghan is example of open exciting football!

I'm not cross. I am happy :)

Dublin are better team because they have better players and a better management. They all have the same other demands on them as other counties.

Do you think Monaghan is example of open exciting football! More hand passes than a gay sauna :)

It's a level playing field only if you are prepared to ignore the very large elephant right in the middle of it. May be that was what was stopping Dublin getting past half way? :)

To be serious, I am not bothered getting into a debate with somebody who will not acknowledge a severe imbalance in population, money and resources tbh.
    It's as plain as that bloody elephant sitting on your nose at this stage.

So how come Tyrone with a smaller GAA playing population has been successful and you have not? And that is an understatement! Or even historically, compared to your other neighbour in Cavan, or near neighbour Meath?

Perhaps you are never just good enough?

So how come Tyrone with a smaller GAA playing population has been successful and you have not? And that is an understatement! Or even historically, compared to your other neighbour in Cavan, or near neighbour Meath?

Perhaps you are never just good enough?

Soon as you stop seeing it as a threat to your precious Dublin team and rather as a cancer that is in the process of causing a very real crisis in a game I love (whether we win it or not) come back to us with something more substantial than taunting?

• Advertisement

Why so cross?

What a load of crap.

Dublin were five points to the good, thanks to some brilliant high fielding of Donegal kickouts and some excellent kicked points and goals. Having played all of the football in the game, and that is not an exaggeration, they could afford to sit back and wait and see whether Donegal had the balls to come out of their shells. They didn't, so Dublin just played out the game.

It will be interesting to see whether Monaghan or Tyrone will take on Dublin. They might never have been good enough, but Mayo at least had the courage to take Dublin on. Most of the others don't and that has nothing to do with strength and conditioning or finances.

You initiated this. I responded.

Youse don't love it enough to have been successful. We do. Live with it.

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

Dublin were five points to the good, thanks to some brilliant high fielding of Donegal kickouts and some excellent kicked points and goals. Having played all of the football in the game, and that is not an exaggeration, they could afford to sit back and wait and see whether Donegal had the balls to come out of their shells. They didn't, so Dublin just played out the game.

It will be interesting to see whether Monaghan or Tyrone will take on Dublin. They might never have been good enough, but Mayo at least had the courage to take Dublin on. Most of the others don't and that has nothing to do with strength and conditioning or finances.

IMO you have to be a lot fitter to engage that 'style' of play over 10 to 15 mins.
    Dublin were constantly turning and going back, they had no interest in going forward, hence my contention it was a game plan.

There is a reason the crowd, including a lot of their own decent support boo that type of play. It is lording superior fitness over a team you can see are out on their feet.

To me it is just another symptom of the developing imbalance in GAA which is cancerous. Read the article posted above.

IMO you have to be a lot fitter to engage that 'style' of play over 10 to 15 mins.
    Dublin were constantly turning and going back, they had no interest in going forward, hence my contention it was a game plan.

There is a reason the crowd, including a lot of their own decent support boo that type of play. It is lording superior fitness over a team you can see are out on their feet.

To me it is just another symptom of the developing imbalance in GAA which is cancerous. Read the article posted above.

Didn't hear a single Dub booing, that was the Donegal contingent. The Dublin crowd were 'ole'ing every pass.

If Donegal don't want to tackle, why should Dublin just give them the ball. I was most annoyed at James McCarthy who kicked two wides during that period and gave the ball back to Donegal. Dublin know what to do when other teams refuse to play.

Dublin are one of the greatest teams to have played the game, led by one of the greatest managers. The high fielding by Howard and Fenton yesterday was up there with the best of the lot. The finishing of the goals by Scully, the tackling in defence, among the best.

Put aside your blinkers and realise that. I feel sorry for the Mayos and Monaghans of this decade. They had their greatest teams, but it hasn't been enough when faced with the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Think they should introduce half points in hurling. Only in the case where a goalkeeper makes a great save and the ball deflects over for a point. Goalies seem to have a thankless task and when they produce a moment of magic it can still lead to a point for the opponent.

I honestly don't think this conversation can be had if you just want to brag about Dublin.

I actually love the game, and managed to continue loving the game while my team have never had success.

I am not really interested in debating that so maybe you can stop bothering yourself coming up with taunts.

There is a major problem that has been ongoing in the modern game which year on year is getting worse. Many many people have addressed it now, it is beyond silly that some Dubs are still seeing it as an attack on their team for being successful. It isn't.

Francie, have you ever watched Monaghan? Exciting, attacking football is not the phrase that immediately springs to mind.

Here's the thing. Certain counties thought they could stop better teams by total negative tactics. I'm not referring to Tyrone of noughties by the way. They were brilliant team. I'm talking about teams that almost seemed they were playing for a draw!

Well, Dublin responded to that by not only having better players but by nullifying the blanket defence by pressing up on them, taking a lead and forcing them out. Sometimes those teams don't come out, even when they are well behind! Go figure.

Best games of last few years have been Dublin and Mayo because both teams combine good offence and good defence. Time has possibly caught up with Mayo, as it will with Dublin. Then you shall have to find another excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

2019 congress will be open to playing rule changes,After the successful introduction of the mark and the new kickout rule,What would you like to see next implemented

2019 congress will be open to playing rule changes,After the successful introduction of the mark and the new kickout rule,What would you like to see next implemented

I'd like to see the black card looked at and I would love to see a few hundred thousand invested in group training a squad of championship referees in order to bring some consistency to the game.

I would also like a special congress to discuss and analyse why it increasingly seems that Central Council is massively diverging from the GAA grassroots and support base.
    To me there is a divergence as one part seeks maximum profit while the other seeks a player and supporter centred sporting and cultural organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd like to see the black card looked at and I would love to see a few hundred thousand invested in group training a squad of championship referees in order to bring some consistency to the game.

I would also like a special congress to discuss and analyse why it increasingly seems that Central Council is massively diverging from the GAA grassroots and support base.
    To me there is a divergence as one part seeks maximum profit while the other seeks a player and supporter centred sporting and cultural organisation.
    That would be a waste of money. Who do you get to train these referees. How many referees do you train and that wouldnt help the game. You would be far better investing that money into refs at all levels and improving all refereeing and doing more to help refereeing at lower levels as then the refs will have better habits and experiences to help them as they progress to higher levels.

Advertisement