Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ISS

• 28-05-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭

Great view of the ISS tonight. Good long pass in the clear skies. Another chance tomorrow at about 1015pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OldRio wrote: »
    Great view of the ISS tonight. Good long pass in the clear skies. Another chance tomorrow at about 1015pm.

Don't know where you got 10:15 p.m. for today (Tue. May 29th) :confused:

I saw it last night and it will pass over Dublin again tonight between 23:55 and 23:59 local time.

https://www.heavens-above.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't know where you got 10:15 p.m. for today (Tue. May 29th) :confused:

I saw it last night and it will pass over Dublin again tonight between 23:55 and 23:59 local time.

https://www.heavens-above.com/

I read the info on spotthestation.nasa.gov

I read the info on spotthestation.nasa.gov

You're correct but it's a strange one. That link for the benefit of others is https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

The NASA website offered me two locations on the east coast of Ireland so I clicked on Greystones in Co. Wicklow and right enough. there is a pass tonight at 22:18.

So I stored Greystones as a location in my profile over in https://www.heavens-above.com/ but that's where it gets strange.

Heavens Above only shows the pass I mentioned earlier at 23:55 but if you hit the radio button against 'passes to include' from 'visible only' to 'all', it shows a list which includes a pass tonight (May 29) at 22:18 which resembles the pass we had last night - rising in the west, reaching a maximum altitude of >60 degrees to the south and setting in the east - about as visible as a pass as you can get. Peak magnitude (at 22:22) is predicted to be -3.8.

I though I might have a minimum magnitude setting but the later pass at 23:55 (which does show up in the 'visible only' listing) is only magnitude -3.3.

Edit: it may have something to do with the altitude of the sun which will be only -5 degrees in Greystones at 22:18 but when you list 'all' passes, they're categorised as 'daylight' or 'visible' and the 22:18 pass is indicated as 'visible'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭OldRio

All very odd. Heavens above is the site I normally use but we'll wait and see.

All very odd. Heavens above is the site I normally use but we'll wait and see.

+1 the Android Heavens Above is app is superb, it shows you the location of the ISS in realtime during the pass so you'll see an icon representing it travelling along the predicted path and the first line of the data table below the sky map gives you it's current location in text - elevation, azimuth etc.

• Advertisement

As I suspected, it's a fixed (not user adjustable) setting in Heavens Above to do with the altitude of the sun. If the sun is less than 6 degrees below the horizon (i.e. its altitude is greater than -6 degrees), they regard this as daylight and do not list any passes during that period if you have 'visible only' ticked on the 'passes to include' option. In the mobile app it's a binary option called: 'Show visible ISS passes only'.

I think I saw a bright satellite which could be the ISS but the prediction wasn't in the Heavens-Above list. What could it be?

This almost certainly was ISS or another very bright satellite. We have a cut-off of -6° sun altitude for our predictions, so that satellite passes are only predicted when the sky is reasonably dark. However, these bright satellites can sometimes be seen when the sun is higher, but this explains why they aren't in the list. On the ISS predictions page, you can also select the "all" radio button to show the times of all passes, even those during daylight, and then compare these times with your observation.

https://www.heavens-above.com/faq.aspx

That pass at (peaked at 22:18 over south Dublin) was very visible, virtually a replay of the one last night after 23:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

Anyone see a bright object in the south sky travelling approx same speed as ISS at approx 23.30pm? It was very bright for a few mins but then dimmed a lot. Satellite?

Forgot to mention it was travelling the opposite direction to the ISS

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

Just see the space station in the South East , so what ever app said 11:58 ish was right down this way , went out earlier at 10;28 ish it was wrong , so something is a miss , just said I'd coment on that. What's the story with the two different times ?

bogwarrior wrote: »
    Just see the space station in the South East , so what ever app said 11:58 ish was right down this way , went out earlier at 10;28 ish it was wrong , so something is a miss , just said I'd coment on that. What's the story with the two different times ?

Which app gave you the 10:28 time?

There were two passes tonight (Tue. May 29th), one peaked at 10:22 and the second at 11:58, I saw both of them in the Dun Laoghaire area.

In relation to the first pass, Heavens Above said it would dip below 10 degrees at 10:25 so it's not surprising that you saw nothing at 10:28.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

On that was the right times you have , didint know you could see it twice in the same night , my bad , will have to brush up on that a bit , thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just saw it fly over while out for a smoke. Walked out and spotted Mars the looked to my right and was wtf is that! Looked up the ISS website and yes it just went past Ireland, pheww! Really flies through the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Just saw it fly over while out for a smoke. Walked out and spotted Mars the looked to my right and was wtf is that! Looked up the ISS website and yes it just went past Ireland, pheww! Really flies through the sky!

Grab a pair of binoculars well worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Grab a pair of binoculars well worth a look.
    I did that for one of the recent passes and another object came into the field of view at a right angle. For a second I thought there was going to be a collision! :o It's unbelievable how much junk is up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

It's interesting how different the track is for the ISS when viewed from different locations. I watched one pass from Wexford while on the phone to a sibling in Meath who was seeing it against quite different background stars. For the pass during the lunar eclipse next Friday I was looking up the details on heavens-above for another sibling in London, for my own location in Dublin, and (accidentally in Stellarium) for Wexford. It culminates nearly directly overhead in London (88 degrees) but only 68 degrees in Wexford and 63 degrees in Dublin, where fortuitously it very nearly crosses the bright star Arcturus. The difference is much greater than the difference in latitude of the observers because the ISS is only 400 km up (less than the distance from Dublin to London).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

They had a small leak on the International Space Station Soyuz.
    https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/1035417998243311616

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

star gazer wrote: »
    They had a small leak on the International Space Station Soyuz.
    https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/1035417998243311616
    Very disappointed by the original post above the leak. It didn't happen on the ISS, rather it happened in the Soyuz docking. Module.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Very disappointed by the original post above the leak. It didn't happen on the ISS, rather it happened in the Soyuz docking. Module.
    International Space Station Soyuz, or Soyuz attached to the International Space Station. The reason it's noteworthy is not just that a Soyuz craft had a leak but that a Soyuz attached to the ISS had a leak and the crew of the ISS were alerted to a small pressure variation and took action to detect and stop the leak. Job well done.
    https://twitter.com/Space_Station/status/1035119426536923156
    https://twitter.com/Space_Station/status/1035247544673157126

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH if it was a micrometeroite then the leak location is down to luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-ms-09.html#leak
    According to Russian sources, the problem was found in the Habitation Module of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft, where the crew detected two small cracks, reaching 1.5 millimeters in size. .... Alexander Gerst first discovered the leak on the wall behind the toilet unit and used his finger to initially plug it.
    According to ESA sources, the area of the leak was temporarily sealed with Kapton tape, while Russian cosmonauts were working on a permanent sealing patch using a special repair kit with epoxy-saturated gauze. There were apparently some disagreement between the US commander of the station Drew Feustel and Russian crew members about the need to first test repair techniques on the ground, but, the cosmonauts ultimately decided to apply the patch as soon as possible on the advice from the mission control in Korolev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Seen the ISS this morning passing over Ireland, looked like a bright start moving eastward - knew if was not a plane as far to quick, satellite was on my mind but quick google confirmed it was the ISS...

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin#.W44-YOhKiUk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

....Alexander Gerst first discovered the leak on the wall behind the toilet unit and used his finger to initially plug it.

Jayus

• Registered Users Posts: 30,018 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone catch the ISS tonight? the 10.40 pm pass...it was super bright, super clear sky :)

spotthestation.com

*btw - can we have a ISS sticky thread?

fryup wrote: »
    anyone catch the ISS tonight? the 10.40 pm pass...it was super bright, super clear sky :)

spotthestation.com

https://www.heavens-above.com/ is vastly superior. it will show you a map of the sky (including planets and the moon, when visible) with the track of the ISS and a marker for each minute of the pass.

The mobile app (buy the paid version - Heavens Above Pro) will show you the pass in real time.

Heads up...its passing tonight at 22.35

anyone see the ISS pass tonight 23.40....about one minute later there was another bright object following it..anyone know what it was??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

fryup wrote: »
    anyone see the ISS pass tonight 23.40....about one minute later there was another bright object following it..anyone know what it was??

It was the HTV-9 supply ship which will be docking with the ISS tomorrow I think.

• Advertisement

It was the HTV-9 supply ship which will be docking with the ISS tomorrow I think.

do you know what time? will we see it over irish skies?

Advertisement