Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Disgraceful from tuohy 3 month ban not a ****ing yellow card

Do I need to elaborate any further? 1 wide and dispossessed 3 times

Brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Did not see that comeback at half-time, fabulous stuff.

Well done to John kiely and backroom unbeaten this year in very trying circumstances. He's improved every aspect of our game. Hopefully there's more to come

Clare result matters not a jot just working on shooting etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well done to John kiely and backroom unbeaten this year in very trying circumstances. He's improved every aspect of our game. Hopefully there's more to come

well done on the promotion lads , division 1B is a disaster of a division and its long over due ye made the jump , to do it without the na pairsaigh lads is impressive to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

well the objective for this year has been achived, anything extra is a bonus, next year we sup at the top table, kielys detacters are shown up, those of us who had faith have been vindicated, then one swallow etc

clare will fear us more than we will fear them

lots to work on, in the second half how many times had we three player plus a ball carrier, then gave away possesion, the ref did not help us in the 2nd half either

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

had my ears peeled to radio thought we had let it slip by half time but full credit to all the lads great result
    very well done hope we push on from here.
    i know tis early days but dodge kept saying how fit he felt we were so credit to john and the backroom staff long over due
    cant wipe the smille of my face
    limerick abu great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Delighted not only for the win, but for the circumstances. To mount such a serious push to bridge a large deficit shows real strength of character. With na piarsiagh to join the fray later in the year I really hope Limerick can do something special.

Munster will be brutal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Was the first half a reflection of being stuck in 1b and not being up to the cut and thrust of top level hurling.
    Also were we lucky to finish the first half with 15. I thought in the scuffle one of our lafs pulled the helmet of a galway man and lynch drew across a fella. I was watching two toddlers at the time so apologies as i didnt fully see the incident clearly.
    Delighted for the lads. Its a serious commitment and they need days like this to keep the heads right.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Firstly congrats on a great win I hate criticising refs but thought he rode us which makes the win even more impressive first half we were brutal but second were a revelation how tight is Finn the big bonus for me was Flanagan and Murphy but esp Flanagan we really have a mobile option to dowling now.

How many nap players would ye expect to get in to the team now? I'd still prefer if hickey was at half back tough on morrissey I know but think hickey is better.

I'm thrilled to bits for the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mccallister has been a disgrace so far

I commented here after the Corofin player debacle that any referee can be unsighted and make a genuine mistake but for the two major incidents today the linesman was just metres away. last year's All-Ireland final referee Fergal Horgan was standing just metres away from the Touhy 'assault' on Murphy which was a disgrace and should be punished accordingly in the coming days. This cannot be tolerated. Why was he yellow carded.? What was the linesman watching.?
    The Burke/Byrnes clash resulted in 2 yellow cards. Burke retaliated after being caught by Byrnes trailing hurley in a 'shimozzle' which wasn't deliberate. Burke had earlier received a nasty gash himself (also accidental) but he did strike out and injure Byrnes. Was Byrnes yellow carded for defending himself from an attack by 2 players.?
    Maybe the linesman can answer..!!

washman3 wrote: »
    I commented here after the Corofin player debacle that any referee can be unsighted and make a genuine mistake but for the two major incidents today the linesman was just metres away. last year's All-Ireland final referee Fergal Horgan was standing just metres away from the Touhy 'assault' on Murphy which was a disgrace and should be punished accordingly in the coming days. This cannot be tolerated. Why was he yellow carded.? What was the linesman watching.?
    The Burke/Byrnes clash resulted in 2 yellow cards. Burke retaliated after being caught by Byrnes trailing hurley in a 'shimozzle' which wasn't deliberate. Burke had earlier received a nasty gash himself (also accidental) but he did strike out and injure Byrnes. Was Byrnes yellow carded for defending himself from an attack by 2 players.?

Agree with that. I would think the linesman missed the murphy one and gave a yellow as a get out of jail option but this one needs to be dealt with off the field

Also there is the opposite end of the spectrum where the monaghan footballer got sent off yesterday for nothing and a bit of cop on should be applied in all cases. Often the fells screaming for consistency cause these reds which are ridiculous and then obvious one's go unpunished

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Watching the Sunday Game last night did anyone notice that Duignan virtually had tears in his eyes with disappointment that Galway failed to make 1A.
    Gave a dozen excuses why they were well below their best yesterday, not a single word of praise for Limerick's second half display.
    He shouldn't worry too much anyway, the format will probably be changed to an 8 team league next season, and replace probably with definitely if Cork lose the relegation play-off. Watch this space...;)

Great day today, was going to write up something about the match but can't be bothered the collective was more important than any individual performance.

We are now/have

Fitness
    Physicality
    Puck out strategy (which didn't collapse when main target went off)
    Competition for places (only 2-3 Na P players will make it back in)
    A game plan (players actually know how to link with each other and play as a unit, when's the last time that happened at senior?)
    Above all else Hunger, passion, attitude, determination which has been solely eroded the last few years
    Add in a little belief that this will bring and we'll have a good year regardless of results

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Watching the Sunday Game last night did anyone notice that Duignan virtually had tears in his eyes with disappointment that Galway failed to make 1A.
    Gave a dozen excuses why they were well below their best yesterday, not a single word of praise for Limerick's second half display.
    He shouldn't worry too much anyway, the format will probably be changed to an 8 team league next season, and replace probably with definitely if Cork lose the relegation play-off. Watch this space...;)

an 8 team league would almost guarantee no club games in April, not that that matters to anyone. IMO the whole "Keep april free for clubs" was the trojan horse to push the round-robin provincials through congress.

To have an extra 2 games per team and be done with the league by the end of march we'd nearly want to be starting in Janruary.. can you imagine it...

In fairness to Diagnan he didn't shy away from criticising the shocking attack Adrian Touhy made on Murphy.. so even though he has leinster tinted glasses, at the very least he can recognise thuggary even when it comes from one of his darling teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Aravo

Well done to Limerick. They have been long enough in 1B. Should have gone up a few years back only to be shafted by Cork. Best situation would be 2 up 2 down. Top team up, then either next team up or playoff between 2&3. 1 team in 1B down with playoff for the other. Not really that fair that there is a playoff for the drop from 1A. Why not a straight drop as there is a straight up from 1B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not sure where that's coming from? Duignan singled out AdrianTouhy for his nasty strike on Barry Murphy, other than that he called the game more or less as it was. Great result for Limerick and well deserved having struggled to get out of 1B over the last few years. Where Galway are really at we won't know for a while yet.

But well done to Limerick, I said in an earlier post on this thread that Limerick's extra bit of hunger for this one might get them over the line, and that's pretty much how it played out. It's not taking anything away from Limerick's win to say that Galway aren't at their best, Limerick had a game to win and they did it so well done to them. Galway weren't exactly going out to lose and we fielded a fairly strong team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

I been saying it for along time now. Fergal Horgan is a deplorable referee. So much so that I believe it is dangerous having him referee matches.

There is zero consistency to his refereeing. Some players get frustrated been fouled all the time while those doing the fouling get away with more and more.

He has given some of the worst refereeing performances I have ever witnessed and there have been a lot of poor ones over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I think both those incidents would have been dealt with properly if Fergal Horgan was the ref. He advised the ref what to do. Cathal McAllister was omitted from the championship panel 2 years ago I think so there must have been a reason for that, presumably assessors reports. Diarmuid Kirwan denied Limerick a clear penalty vs wexford in the league last year so his judgement on what is or isnt a foul is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I thought Mcallister was very poor and not just for us. He has this tendancy to just laugh and snile at players when they question him. I dont like him as he goes from letting everything go to blowing for everything. not up to the required standard. I wouldnt fault horgan for not see the low blow to murphy as he may have been unsighted. As for Mr kirwan......he has been doing us for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone need a couple of free tickets for all Ireland club final? PM me.

Delighted with the win on Sunday, first half wides were very worrying as it's a long standing problem. Hope that na Piarsaigh can get across the line on Saturday, the Cuala side is very strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Thought Piarsaigh were hard done by with that 21 yard free.
    Can feel a little aggrieved imo.

While David Dempsey had a big influence in last 10 mins of regulation time and extra time, Kevin Downes was my MOTM.
    Having said that Casey did some job on O Callaghan.

They'll need more from Dowling and Lynch the next day but the 2 lads back will be a big help.

Thought Piarsaigh were hard done by with that 21 yard free.
    Can feel a little aggrieved imo.

While David Dempsey had a big influence in last 10 mins of regulation time and extra time, Kevin Downes was my MOTM.
    Having said that Casey did some job on O Callaghan.

They'll need more from Dowling and Lynch the next day but the 2 lads back will be a big help.

I don't think the ref assessors will be happy with the ref yesterday but Na Piarsaigh had chances to win out yesterday and couldn't put them away. Was absolutely baltic at the game, and the wind on the day was difficult to play into from what I could tell.

Ideally the replay will be played closer to Limerick (unlikely I know).

Madness

The wides were shocking, but a wins a win

Someone would want to take pat ryan aside and have a word with him on the dynamics of a game and when to take a fec*ing point - (good goal mind)

Corner backs had a tougher day today plenty to work on

Luimneach abu

Madness

The wides were shocking, but a wins a win

Someone would want to take pat ryan aside and have a word with him on the dynamics of a game and when to take a fec*ing point - (good goal mind)

Corner backs had a tougher day today plenty to work on

Luimneach abu

Age old problem for Limerick, was it 22 wides in the end? A crazy number when you reflect that most of them must presumably be a better scoring chance ultimately forgone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads fantastic game , ye are putting together a really decent team with an excellent manager , but to slightly spoil the party:p ye hit by my count 24 wides today 20 From Play , once ye steady yourselves in front of goal ye will start pulling up some big trees , i reckon ye have the momentum to win the league but the wides tally needs to drop for a serious all ireland challenge ,

at this stage i can only see 2 na pairsaigh players coming back into the team after the club championship in casey and dowling , i dont think there is room for anyone else at the moment

Advertisement