Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'm surprised. I would have thought that if they moved it would be to breakfast slot. I'm sure they're the show that rates best with young people and breakfast or lunch time is what most young people will hear. It's also the time when you'll get the most phone-ins/tweets/texts and they use those quite a bit.

The 3 hours that Anton had might be too much for them or at least they'll have to play a lot more music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    The 3 hours that Anton had might be too much for them or at least they'll have to play a lot more music.

They were doing a 4 hour show on 98FM at one stage and it was great. That's when I first started listening to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'm surprised. I would have thought that if they moved it would be to breakfast slot. I'm sure they're the show that rates best with young people and breakfast or lunch time is what most young people will hear. It's also the time when you'll get the most phone-ins/tweets/texts and they use those quite a bit.

They are already on from 12-2.30, not a huge jump to 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭mada999

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    well the major change for me in 2017 , is that I will not be tuning into Today fm..

Agreed..... haven't tuned in since Alison curtis took over from Anton.... if you drink a shot everytime she talks about her children and you'd be drunk by 10.30 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hubstan

threein99 wrote: »
    Hopefully Muireann gets the lunchtime gig

Muireann O'Connell the [mod edit] that calls every "amazing" and "wonderful"? I certainly hope not.

She is probably one of the worst female hosts out there, nothing of substance in anything she says and has a voice like nails being scraped on a blackboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I suppose they'll have to give it to a woman otherwise it would be nearly all male presenters until 7pm! I reckon Muireann is in with a shout of the lunchtime slot, she's the best of a bad bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hubstan wrote: »
    Muireann O'Connell the [mod edit] that calls every "amazing" and "wonderful"? I certainly hope not.

She is probably one of the worst female hosts out there, nothing of substance in anything she says and has a voice like nails being scraped on a blackboard.

But apart from all that . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Maybe Louise Duffy to return to lunchtime and Kelly Ann Byrne or Cathel funge to take over the 7pm slot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

I have never heard of her or listened to her until this week as she is filling in for Dermot and Dave. She's completely bland but can someone please tell me ...is she American? Please please don't tell me she's Irish- not with that accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Will be interesting to see how this pans out but anything is better than Alison Curtis. She is painful to listen to .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Nah Allison, Louise, and Paula are all worse than her

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jvan wrote: »
    I predict they'll loose thousands of loyal listeners because some pr consultant reckons there's more money to be made from younger listeners who don't even care about Fm radio.

Maybe I'm wrong and the youth of today will start listening but they're all used to Spotify and other ways of listening to music etc. Be like trying to persuade a teenager or 20 year to buy a newspaper or magazine, they'll look at you sideways.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but watching the mess of 2fm over the last 8 years I wouldn't hold my breathe.

As a 20 something year old, can confirm my radio in my car is exclusively used with Spotify and podcasts.

My radio fritzed out about 8 months ago now, where it like lost its memory of the channels tuned in. Havn't bothered setting them back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Anton Savage's leaving could be an opportunity in the schedule for an ex-TXFM presenter like Cathal Funge (stood in for Paul McLoone recently) or Kelly-Anne Byrne (currently weekend presenter). Alternatively, it could be an opening for yet another ex-Phantom presenter Muireann O'Connell (the two above were as well). It's funny how things are working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Didn't Dermot and Dave do the 9-12 stint a few months back during the one day reshuffle.

The show will probably go in a different direction to The Anton Savage show.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anton Savage's leaving could be an opportunity in the schedule for an ex-TXFM presenter like Cathal Funge (stood in for Paul McLoone recently) or Kelly-Anne Byrne (currently weekend presenter). Alternatively, it could be an opening for yet another ex-Phantom presenter Muireann O'Connell (the two above were as well). It's funny how things are working out.

Or Joe Donnelly for a Drivetime slot?

*says prayers*

Nah Allison, Louise, and Paula are all worse than her

Muireann O'Connell is equally below par imho and sounds like she's sniffed a line of some Colombian marching powder every time she talks, there's no need to be so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING.

Decisions are being made by somebody with less than 2 years radio experience and it's showing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Muireann O'Connell is equally below par imho and sounds like she's sniffed a line of some Colombian marching powder every time she talks, there's no need to be so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING.

Decisions are being made by somebody with less than 2 years radio experience and it's showing.

To be fair to Muireann, she's never really had that much of a chance to craft a show. Never heard her on Phantom, she worked on Spin SW for a while where it's all pretty set in stone format, then worked on 98 for a bit where, again, tightly formatted and she was either covering for others or there in a backup role.

I'd like to see what she could do given the chance to put her mark on a show as opposed to just illing in for someone. I personally like her a lot as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

If they put Louise and Muireann together it would be a like for like replacement for D & D

liam7831 wrote: »
    If they put Louise and Muireann together it would be a like for like replacement for D & D

I shudder at the thought.

Muireann is from Limerick, I believe she was in the same year as me :D - I'd give her a chance, even though she is very too excited about stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be fair to Muireann, she's never really had that much of a chance to craft a show. Never heard her on Phantom, she worked on Spin SW for a while where it's all pretty set in stone format, then worked on 98 for a bit where, again, tightly formatted and she was either covering for others or there in a backup role.

I'd like to see what she could do given the chance to put her mark on a show as opposed to just illing in for someone. I personally like her a lot as a presenter.

She had a weekday slot in the evenings for a year at least on 98fm before moving to breakfast and had plenty of opportunity to chat and show her personality. Always found her a touch overbearing / enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Christ on a bike, Alison Curtis is absolutely insufferable. Its embarressing how bad she can be at times.

I have no choice but to listen to her this morning talking to the a$$hat Fred Cooke. Why the fook does she do that forced fake laugh? Its toe-curlingly cringe to listen to her. I detest the sound of her voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Christ on a bike, Alison Curtis is absolutely insufferable. Its embarressing how bad she can be at times.

I have no choice but to listen to her this morning talking to the a$$hat Fred Cooke. Why the fook does she do that forced fake laugh? Its toe-curlingly cringe to listen to her. I detest the sound of her voice.

It reminds me of a trip to Fota Island zoo a few years ago when the baboons were shouting back and forth at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ John Late Camera

Kid count - three mentions of her child before 9:40am this morning. Thankfully I was just getting outta the van... back now for Muireann and Lenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

BPKS wrote: »
    It reminds me of a trip to Fota Island zoo a few years ago when the baboons were shouting back and forth at each other.

Ah there's no need to get nasty.
    This slot doesn't suit her. particularly if they are after younger people. The parenting talk is hardly going to win them over.
    Her strength is picking good music. Either give her a show with the freedom to do that or put her in a slot with more of a parent/child audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

You'd really miss Tony Fenton wouldn't you.

Ian is one of the reasons Today Fm is the success that it is. So i don't see him going anywhere, especially as he has Mario and Gift Grub. If he goes, they will go with him.

D&D at 9am is a shocking decision IMO. They're grand for some lunchtime fun but thats about it. They obviously agreed to everything that Anton wouldn't such as changes to playlists, topics for discussion, contributors, guests. So really it wont be their show, it will be managements show and they will be the voice of it.

I expected the likes of Will Leahy to have gotten the 9-12pm show. He went for it after Ray left but Anton got it.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ray Foley returned.

They will have to have more female presenters during primetime hours so they might give Muireann her own show but she can be hard to listen too

I actually enjoy Louises show at 7pm. I think she plays a good mix of stuff. Definitely introduced me to good music i wouldn't normally listen too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ian is one of the reasons Today Fm is the success that it is. So i don't see him going anywhere, especially as he has Mario and Gift Grub. If he goes, they will go with him.

D&D at 9am is a shocking decision IMO. They're grand for some lunchtime fun but thats about it. They obviously agreed to everything that Anton wouldn't such as changes to playlists, topics for discussion, contributors, guests. So really it wont be their show, it will be managements show and they will be the voice of it.

I expected the likes of Will Leahy to have gotten the 9-12pm show. He went for it after Ray left but Anton got it.

They will have to have more female presenters during primetime hours so they might give Muireann her own show but she can be hard to listen too

I actually enjoy Louises show at 7pm. I think she plays a good mix of stuff. Definitely introduced me to good music i wouldn't normally listen too.

Will Leahy won't do a gig in Dublin as long as he's working as a solicitor full time. The reason he was doing drive on 2FM was (in the man's own words) he could leave his office at 4, be in the RTE studios in Limerick at 4:15 and be on air at 4:30 having done his prep during the day via email and phone with his producer.

Ray Foley won't be back to Today FM any time soon because of him coming out publicly about management issues. Bridges pretty well burnt until there's a change at the top.

D&D did the Anton slot last year and it was great having them on at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

I'm within that 25-40 age demographic which (I think) Today FM is targeting but I must have very different preferences to what management perceive as attractive to potential listeners. "Wacky banter", high jinks and all round gas craic from those cheeky scamps Dermot & Dave - eh, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

As Anton would say Today FM have doubled down on their first mistake by moving D+D to 9-12 slot. Now they have made a balls of the station from 9-2.30. (Well actually 4.30 really but thats for another day). I liked D+D where they were. I think Paula will get the 12-2.30 slot and Muireann takes over from her. Kelly Ann Byrne is probably the most talented but wont get a day time slot. As said above you really miss Tony Fenton. Made the show so simple. Say what your going to play, play it, say what you played and repeat.

As some one who listened to Today FM from morning to night time I switch at 9am back at 4.30pm.

Advertisement