Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sir Chops wrote: »
    maybe Sea Shepard could use it?

Might as well just drag it out to sea and when deep enough, sink it.

Will be no different to any plans they'd have for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This is the plan they are putting forward today http://www.thejournal.ie/naomh-eanna-revamp-1380765-Mar2014/#comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

normal_Naomh%2520Eanna-01.jpg

decommissioned-630x472.jpg

save-our-ship-630x472.jpg

naomh-5-630x189.jpg

noamh-eanna_section1-2-630x325.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

fergal.b wrote: »
    This is the plan they are putting forward today http://www.thejournal.ie/naomh-eanna-revamp-1380765-Mar2014/#comments

Thanks for the link, sounds interesting but think they are living in dream world if they think they can do all this for less than €2Mil. recon it all hinges on the statement "Field Corbett contends a proper inspection of the ship needs to be carried out before the plan can move to the next phase."
    Had a look around her in Galway 20 something years ago, was in a poor enough state then.

Think Dravokivich's idea makes the most sense, bring her out and pull the plug. Make a nice wee artificial reef, great for sea life and a nice site for the sports divers.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Here is the latest FB post from the Naomh Eanna trust

It's not looking too good :mad:

"Statement from ISBF & the trust over last Wednesdays meeting:

A Chairde,

We had our meeting with minister Deenihan on Wednesday.

I apologise for the delay in reporting however the meeting could not be described as constructive, indeed; we found the meeting quite demoralising that such were my feelings after the event I felt unable to portray it in a unbiased fashion.

We were greeted by four officials from the minister's department - also present were his senior adviser, the minister and his secretary. There was also a senior member of Waterways Ireland. Our team was Sam Field-Corbett, John O Grady our financial consultant and Liam Sherringham our marine engineer & surveyor.

The Minister was most attentive and gave us a 30 minutes of his time. The meeting continued a further 30 minutes after he left.

I guess we underestimated the level of support for the heritage aspect of this endeavor in the inappropriately named 'Department of Heritage'.

I understand there is some doubt in the ministers department as to the heritage value of the Naomh Eanna. As she is not yet a 100 year old 'wreck' she is afforded no protection from the minister's department.

We presented our 48 page business plan outlining the history of the ship (attached), her merits, the restoration and new businesses on board, the future revenue, cost of restoration and how we proposed to raise the money required

I think it is important to note that all contributors to the business plan gave their time voluntarily and the key contributors spent many late nights perfecting it.

The following points might summarise the meeting as I recall:

The minister was disappointed we had not secured financial backing for the restoration.(I pointed out that we have only been engaged for 6 weeks and had not the necessary time nor information to bring it to a financial institution (as a full survey could not take place without the dry docking of the ship).The distinctly negative Waterways Ireland individual anchored the view that the ship must be scrapped. She would be allowed to roll over in the dock and be chopped up. Waterways would absolutely not cover any additional expenses incurred with the salvage of the ship.There was much debate about ownership, regardless of the fact that CIE are the registered owners in the Registrar of Shipping office in Galway.The minister reminded us of his disdain at being contacted by Councillors and TDs and the associated media pressure as he was a man to make up his own mind of these affairs. The power of social media was also lamented by some when we highlighted the level of support we had on Facebook.The minister's adviser reprimanded us for presuming we might have the moral support of his office. We were assured the opposite was the case.The minister's staff pointed out that we should expect to apply for planning permission to repair the ship in the dock. I wondered if Waterways Ireland had planning to do the opposite but no answer was afforded. The group all agreed the proposed business was impressive and workable yet of little concern of theirs.The main thread of feeling on the minister's side rested on avoiding any unnecessary expenses or responsibilities being incurred by the state.

Naomh Eanna is currently afloat in a secure dry dock, making the ship easily salvaged should she founder and the ship is inaccessible to the public.She needs no attention and could lie here unattended for years. The dock owners, NAMA are not charging for the use of the dock. We tried to make the case that there were no apparent expenses being incurred by delaying her destruction until we got our survey and then financiers on board. No more than a matter of weeks (following a positive survey). However this did not convince the senior adviser who was insistent that hidden expenses lay in store for the state

One must keep in mind that the ship has lain in a precarious shape in the dock for the full duration of Waterways Ireland's reign - 15 years - and all of a sudden they are hell bent on destroying this ship.

I was at pains to generate a feeling of positivity for this plan - a win win situation - as I see it. If the minister and Waterways just facilitated us, then with little effort or expense they could take the credit for a prominent new tourist attraction. This point did not hit home. Hence, I made the case to the minister that this project had the ability to employ 50 people and generate €250k in PRSI & PAYE. I was told this was not his concern

We were not looking to dip the department's pocket for a few shillings, we simply wanted to work with the Department and ultimately Waterways Ireland and progress both our objectives until the true condition of the ship could be evaluated.

In the end the senior adviser took on board our request that the ship should be dry docked upright under our surveyors supervision however he was at pains to point out we must undertake to cover all expenses incurred in this procedure.

We have volunteers willing to assist this operation nevertheless it is Waterways Ireland's tedious list of bureaucratic expectations regarding visitors to the dock that will cost us in the region of €6000 to fulfill. A real fly in the ointment.

Nevertheless, we are launching a public appeal to raise the funds for this essential comprehensive survey and we hope the minister will see fit to give us the opportunity to do so as we are prepared to underwrite that our group will assume responsibilities for any reasonable expenses in facilitating this.

May I finally deride that the preservation of a nation's maritime heritage should lie with the state and not with a private profit orientated company such as IS&BF. Regardless of what the public think of this company's motivation; it is a genuine pity that the preservation of these vessels lies in the hands of the private sector.

More to follow in the next few days."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the jobs for the boys club that is WWI will never let this happen, they still have this attitude of if its not worth any money to them then its not worth having, not surprised though, it is ireland after all, in respect to the article, while i agree that the state should be involved in preserving our heritage, its worth remembering that if it wasn't for private individuals we'd have nothing of our industrial/transport heritage at all, i wish the trust and those wanting to preserve this ship well and hope they succeed but i don't believe they will sadly.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All so predictable - I have dealt with people like Waterways Ireland and Deenihan for years and they are a complete waste of space. Either guarding their own bailiwicks or waiting for their pensions. Disgusted with this carry-on and I shall be letting Deenihan, Varadkar etc. know my feelings, not that it will make a bean of difference but I'll feel better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

The aul heap is still there....

Twas Not wrote: »
    The aul heap is still there....
    good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

According to the Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/naomheanna/ steady progress is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They have been waiting for Nama to draw up a 3 month lease for the Graving Dock I think they have it now and will should be signing today then they can carry out an in depth survey to see what the next step will be.
    Fair play to them for putting up a good fight and getting this far it's not easy when you take on the big boys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Cogar documentary on TG4 tonight at 9.30pm is about the Naomh Éanna. Not clear if it's up to before or after she was moved from GCD.

Sorry, can't find a proper link, but here's the blurb

Cogar (OS & TS)
    21:30
    (S16/EP11)
    Naomh Éanna - Ó Bhreith go Béal an Bháis: The Naomh Éanna provided all the necessities the three Aran Islands had with the mainland for 30 years. CIÉ's riveted ship brought everything from summer students and sheep to Galway and The Dubliners to Aran. The Naomh Éanna was at the end of a great era of shipbuilding at the Liffey Dockyard and was designed to service an archipelago in which she could only come to port in Kilronan. Rusted and with little future she was sentenced to be scrapped, until a young English captain embarked on a campaign to save the Naomh Éanna.

Here is a nice little video to get you in the mood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It was very interesting to see the old footage - those boyos in the currachs were hardy and brave men :eek: And the poor moo-cows :eek:

Can't help wondering if yer man (whose name I forget, Sam something?) is just a wide-eyed optimist who's lining himself up to pour a fortune down the drain (either his own, or the investors' if he finds any) - or a visionary who'll pull off a great stunt and add a great feature to Galway Bay?

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Mr Barbie

Still there as of this morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Wouldn't she look resplendent along the quay in Galway with a fresh coat of navy blue paint and polished brass work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just stumbled on this thread I used to work down by it and always thought it was a waste just sitting there barely used, I would be delighted to see it moved to Galway and done up as those plans look great (assuming they are feasible) in fact I would be happy to see it used like this in the dock its already in in Dublin. If it was up the far end by the theatre it could be a great amenity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Pete Pea

Any plans afoot to move it?

• Advertisement

Well she hasn't been scraped yet so I guess thats a good thing :) but no news on her outcome yet.

10001322_852058148148048_7428503258092701696_n.png?oh=4e4260a968d41149571dd159419ebbd0&oe=57135A94

Going by this http://connachttribune.ie/islanders-are-all-at-sea-over-galway-ferry-service-475/ Maybe Naomh Eanna could be brought back into service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,054 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like she will be broken up commencing tomorrow, a sad but inevitable end...

http://www.tg4.ie/en/news/?id=858544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Passed by Grand Canal Basin on Monday and yesterday around 17:00. No sign of activity. There could be work going on below decks.

She is sitting there with a slight list to starboard. She now looks like an utterly shabby floating wreck good for scrap or naval target practice. I suspect that she is probably well beyond any redemption at this stage and would probably not survive towing anywhere except on a barge.

I remember walking her decks a good few times in the 1990s when the basin was a hive of activity with yachts being stored or laid up alongside. When we were doing maintenance on a particular boat we used have lunch and a good spot of sunbathing on her. She was past her best then but absolutely nothing like the state she is in now.

It would have been a fitting idea if she could have been put alongside in Galway and renovated on a supervised project basis. I'm sure that loads of people would have helped with a brush or whatever. If she could have been adapted in to some kind of permanent cultural display or exhibit it would have been great. Alas, too late and worst of all too expensive.

BTW I suppose that a vessel of her vintage must have had asbestos installed somewhere e.g. engine room lagging. Would that be a current problem too unless it has not already been removed ?

are there any updates?
    i presume dismantling is taking place or will take place soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Still intact and no sign of work as of 2 weeks ago. Don't know anything since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The problem with projects like this is that they never generate enough public interest to keep them viable. Museum ships are hugely expensive to keep going and always need something extra to keep funds coming in, such as available food, attractions such as the USS Intrepid's Concorde and Space Shuttle or, like that Puffer in Scotland, day cruises. Several ships that I can think of have been scrapped or are derelict in place and awaiting the scrapper because they failed to generate enough public interest. This ship never served the people of Dublin, the biggest catchment area in the State, was never a State ship and is in rag order, so it can't even sail to generate revenue. It already has competition in Dublin, besides. Quite frankly, the scrapper's torch is about all it's fit for, with the best will in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Scooted past there on Sunday - no apparent work to be seen. Still just sitting in the dock with a slightly inebriated list to starboard.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Fair play for not giving up, you never know, might find someone this time if he's intending on keeping her in Dublin there's a bigger potential market.

Advertisement