Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a Podcast

• 07-10-2013 10:39pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

On the back of a suggestion from Skid X, this thread replaces the long since redundant Boardscast recommendations thread.

So basically, recommend a podcast or podcasts you think people should listen to.

I'll kick things off with The Complete Guide to Everything. This is one of my most recent podcast discoveries, and it's fast becoming one of my favourites. Basically it's two guys chatting for an hour a week around a loose topic that often only gets a minor mention. It's funny stuff, and the entire back catalogue is available on iTunes so if you like it there's a good hundred hours or more of content available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jarlath Regan's podcast An Irishman Abroad is series of interviews with 'a well known Irish writer, actor, performer, sports person or public figure to discuss their life and shared experience of moving abroad.

I enjoyed them, particularly the interviews with Dara O'Briain and Sharon Horgan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fpllad

The Guardians Football Weekly and Football Weekly extra #barryglendenning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Highly recommend the Doug Stanhope Podcast for fans of interesting and in some cases heartbreaking stories,alongside some very dark humour.

http://www.dougstanhope.com/mypodcast/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

BBC: From Our Own Correspondent; The Moral Maze; Analysis; Documentaries (World Service)...to name but a few.

**The previous are long-running series, and, as such, they each have an archive of previous episodes with no listening dead-line. Some truly excellent independently-produced documentaries, lectures, comedy shows, etc, are aired weekly, but are only available for a short time after. This might sound like a hassle, but I've got into the habit of, at the start of every week, spending five mins looking at the schedule, so that I don't miss anything.**

New Yorker: Political Scene

FT: World Weekly with Gideon Rachman

The Times: Did You Read?

The Bugle

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

There are over 300 audio podcasts on www.podcasts.ie which include interviews with and performers by Irish writers of poetry, prose and music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Not to everybody's taste but I really like The Thinking Atheist podcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Welcome to Night Vale is a lot of fun, a bi-monthly radio show set in a fictional creepy small town called Night Vale. Funny and weird, think David Lynch-lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

First post so tell me if I'm doing it wrong!

The only irish ones I've listened to are the Futureproof ones from Newstalk. Will have to have a look at some of the above suggestions.
    Of the US ones I love Freakonomics and This American Life for being as random as my listening taste. Also Embrace Running for inspiration to sign up for more races.
    Closer to home is Marathon Talk. Two lads from England talking about running for 1-1.5 hours for long run days or mind numbing amounts of housework days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

How Did This Get Made? with Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas from 'The League' is hilarious. Three comedians and a guest comedian watch and talk about an awful film every week. Street Fighter one is a classic episode, personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

How Did This Get Made? with Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas from 'The League' is hilarious. Three comedians and a guest comedian watch and talk about an awful film every week. Street Fighter one is a classic episode, personal favourite.
    What is a Street Fighter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A few recommendations from the maximumfun.org network of podcasts:
    • RISK!
      This is such a great podcast. It's basically people telling stories that range from hilariously funny and over the top stories about things like hanging around Central Park looking for a random guy to have sex with and a guy regularly coming to prostitutes to be castrated, to really heartfelt and moving stories of overcoming depression, anxiety and abuse.
      There's a few Best Of episodes up if you want to get a flavour of what they do.
    • Judge John Hodgeman
      This is a really funny podcast where each week they have two people on with a trivial dispute and treat it like a court case. Some recent disputes include an argument over who got to park on the driveway and who had to park on the lawn, a younger brother not wanting to have to wake up the older brother since the older brother has an alarm clock and a couple arguing over whether they need air conditioning or not.
    • Jordan, Jessie, Go!
      A bit like Stop Podcasting Yourself which I've recommended on the forum before. Two friends sitting around with a different guest each week just talking sh*te. S'good fun.

There're others too, but this is fast becoming an ad so I'll leave it there. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

Strange Frequencies Radio & Fist shark both excellent shows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

I'm not sure I've seen Radiolabs mentioned here anywhere. Very similar to This American Life, but I feel its better. A wider range of topics and the production values are fantastic.

For fans of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, there's now The Dailyshow Podcast without Jon Stewart. There's a difference correspondent and writer on each week talking about the show and what goes on behind the scenes. Its funny and very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Serial
    This is a new one and well worth a listen. Story told in 12 episodes. Makes it sound crap. It isn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NPR's Snap Judgement. They were plugging this fairly regularly on Planet Money that I decided to check it out. Found it quite moving and will stay subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Serial
    This is a new one and well worth a listen. Story told in 12 episodes. Makes it sound crap. It isn't.

Sorry for resurrecting this...but Serial is just gripping!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Joebags

Red ice radio is a great podcast for alternative views on world history and events, esoteric topics and "conspiracy" theories discussed too.

redicecreations.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews: This is a staple diet each week. Now, it can get a bit annoying with constant in jokes but the reviews for the most part are top notch and very enjoyable.

How Did This Get Made?: Comedians choose an awful film and rip the piss out of it with fellow comedians. Can be absolutely hilarious at times.

The Football Ramble: A weekly satirical look at the top football results/news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews: This is a staple diet each week.

Same here. The stand ins can be hit and miss. Body and Floyd are dull and thankfully not on as much as before. In contrast, I do like when Sanjeev Bhaskar fills in. His interview with Michael Keaton was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

I second all of which have been mentioned already in this thread.

To these I'd add:
    Loads more too ... but the above are my current favourites. I love podcasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Desert Island discs is good for light listening
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/did

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭keano442

Not sure I've seen Start-up mentioned here. (Link)

A show about a guy who leaves his job with This American Life to start up a podcast company. Some episodes not as good as others, but on the whole very interesting for anyone interesting in (a) starting up your own business or (b) podcasts.

I also enjoy some of the Radiotopia podcasts. 99% Invisible has been mentioned here before (the episode on Penn Station in NYC was fascinating). Radio Diaries and Criminal are the two I've listened to apart from 99pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

If you're into software development/Apple tech then Accidental Tech Podcast is a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Stuff you should know is a great podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

Dr Karl, wacky/serious scientist on bbc 5 up all night.
    A very interesting look at the word of science.

guys a nut job but kind of funny for an Australian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

I'm launching a new podcast on the topic of Irish politics, available at HeresHow.ie

It will be a phone-in show, done in slow motion. The idea is to have reasoned debate, not shouty rows. You can ring 076 603 5060 (from the North or outside Ireland +353 76 603 5060) and leave a message on the voicemail system, to be included in the next show.

There are tips on the website on how to leave a good contribution. I will play and discuss your contribution if appropriate, and play reactions in later shows. The idea is to work up to a 45-minute weekly podcast, free to download.

This depends on people calling in to make it a success, so I would ask you to do that, as well as share it on Facebook, Twitter (links on the website) and with the crowd down the pub (links down the pub).

Obviously I have my own political opinions, but I would most welcome people giving reasoned arguments from other points of views - I will try to represent all sides fairly.

It's available on Stitcher, Tunein, iTunes and pretty much any other podcast app or programme.

If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, please post them!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Radiolab
    This American Life
    Joe Rogan
    Duncan Trussell Family Hour
    Here's The Thing hosted by Alec Baldwin.
    Marc Maron

Radiolab
    This American Life
    Joe Rogan
    Duncan Trussell Family Hour
    Here's The Thing hosted by Alec Baldwin.
    Marc Maron
    The Moth

*double post*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

The Moth

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement