Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

• 29-11-2012 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

With the unexpected reappeareance of the Where's Grandad? public safety ad I wonder are there any more long lost gems that people might have recorded on their vcrs and are waiting to be rediscovered?Some ones that I'd like to see again are.

The one with the fella using a powerdrill who electrocutes himself.His buddy rushes to help him and gets fried himself when he touches him.

The one about hearing protection at work where Yer man is watching a standup comedian in a pub and all he can hear is high pitched squeaking.

Big John,"Oh me achin back!" An all time classic.

I'm not sure if I dreamed this one as no one else I've spoken to remembers it but it had fellas in forklift trucks having all kinds of dramatic accidents.Driving them off piers,through walls etc.Anyone else remember it?

Admitedly the ads that came out in the late 70's are probably likely to remain unseen as very few people in Ireland probably had vcrs then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Brendan Grace doing "The Safe Cross Code"

or the time the roll bars came in for the tractors and poor Tom overturned his tractor on the Riordan's, Well Holy God.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The one about car seat belts and there this bad tempered middle aged guy in the front seat of a car straining and bursting trying to reach the seat belt (old fashioned ones) that's right in under his seat.

My old man used to break his hole laughing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Get out

Stay out

And get the fire brigade out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Before by time but you don't see these kind of dangers highlighted much... kids these days are to busy with their fancy ipadstationphones to be playin' with fridges...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

trad wrote: »
    Brendan Grace doing "The Safe Cross Code"
    All together now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The one about the nun shouting "BAH!" at the deaf child! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

"John, did you put the cat out?"

"The tongs, the tongs!!!"

^^Meaningless to the younger generation, but anyone about 40 will be cracking their hole thinking about it! :D

This is a great thread! Just thought of a few others:

- one about how two cars turning right at a junction are supposed to pass one another. There was a phrase they used, which escapes me.

- another about electricity where two youngfellas are playing frisbee and it gets stuck in a pylon. Predictably one of them goes to retrieve it...

- and another with some young mother from Dublin warning about the dangers of her daughter's nightie going up in flames. You had to look out on the label for IS 148 - "now I know that sounds like a robot!" :D

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I dreamed this one as no one else I've spoken to remembers it but it had fellas in forklift trucks having all kinds of dramatic accidents.Driving them off piers,through walls etc.Anyone else remember it?

Vaguely! I don't think you dreamed it...

And there was another one for using electricity safely on the farm, which showed various appliances being "plugged in" by shoving wires into the socket and either "securing" it with another plug, or else matchsticks. I remember my father and uncles doing that all the time. :eek: How the hell did I survive my childhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A few years ago, I bought the Charley Says DVD which has 280 public information films. They're all English ones but some are hilarious (and some aren't).

I got it mainly for the short Charley Says ads, which The Prodigy sampled in their song of the same name.

Charley Says "Don't Talk To Strangers"

Charley Says "Always Tell Your Mummy" (This is the one The Prodigy got the sample from.)

And here's The Prodigy...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

chakotha wrote: »
    The one about car seat belts and there this bad tempered middle aged guy in the front seat of a car straining and bursting trying to reach the seat belt (old fashioned ones) that's right in under his seat.

I'd forgotten that one it's all coming back to me now ha ha.There was another one about seatbelts where they had this kind of action man type puppet being fired through a windscreen via a catapult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It says 1979 but it must have run for years and years cos I think I saw it in the mid 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The one with the kids playing with a kite near electricity pylons and of course gets electrocuted. Watch out!

This old nuclear attack psa might be interesting to put on during prime time tv lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

fricatus wrote: »
    Vaguely! I don't think you dreamed it...

And there was another one for using electricity safely on the farm, which showed various appliances being "plugged in" by shoving wires into the socket and either "securing" it with another plug, or else matchsticks. I remember my father and uncles doing that all the time. :eek: How the hell did I survive my childhood?

I remember my father messing about with an electric socket and being flung across a room after hitting the wrong wire, lucky he touched the wire with rubber handled pliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

vektarman wrote: »

here's a bit of trivia.........its sung by none other than....Brendan Grace

This old nuclear attack psa might be interesting to put on during prime time tv lol

:eek:

God that's horrible! I'm glad I never saw that when I was a kid - I'd have been terrified.

The creepy note around 1.15 is especially appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

chakotha wrote: »

Tim was his name.

TIM HAS A NEW A CAR.

Fiat Mirafiori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Aside from Charley Says the following are also great collections of PIFs.

COI Collection Volume 4 - Stop, Look, Listen!

COI Collection Volume 6 - Worth The Risk?

The rules are simple

UK PIF = archived properly. Numerous off-air recordings. DVD releases. State broadcasters care about their archive.

Irish PIF = not archived. Hardly any off-air recordings. No DVD releases. State broadcaster doesn't give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

fricatus wrote: »
    "John, did you put the cat out?"

"The tongs, the tongs!!!"

^^Meaningless to the younger generation, but anyone about 40 will be cracking their hole thinking about it! :D

I've been looking for that one for years. Just priceless! :D:D

I loved the one that started "If you had the only car in the world, you could drive as you like. But you haven't and you can't."

There was also a one where the fella who plays Charlie Kelly in FC was walking home and replaying conversations in his head, culminating in him getting to the front door of the house and saying "12 Months" to his distraught Mrs. Turns out it was the length of time he got banned from driving after being breathilised.
    There was also one where the voice over said "Driving while drunk is like putting a loaded gun in the hands of a madman" or something like that.

And then of course there was this:

• Advertisement

The one with the fella using a powerdrill who electrocutes himself.His buddy rushes to help him and gets fried himself when he touches him.

Here ya go:

Get out

Stay out

And get the fire brigade out.

I remember this was a three part advert on UTV, late 80s or early 90s. Would love to see it again.

Niles wrote: »
    Before by time but you don't see these kind of dangers highlighted much... kids these days are to busy with their fancy ipadstationphones to be playin' with fridges...

Piece of useless retro trivia. The DeLorean time-machine in Back to the Future was originally intended to be a refrigerator that you got inside of. The producers were worried that kids would copy the movie and end up getting locked inside real fridges so they changed the script so to make the time machine a car instead of a fridge. I think they made a good decision there.

backtothefuture-delorean.jpg

Karsini wrote: »
    Here ya go:

It was a different ad that was on RTE but followed the same formula virtually frame for frame.This seems to be the British version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Piece of useless retro trivia. The DeLorean time-machine in Back to the Future was originally intended to be a refrigerator that you got inside of. The producers were worried that kids would copy the movie and end up getting locked inside real fridges so they changed the script so to make the time machine a car instead of a fridge. I think they made a good decision there.

backtothefuture-delorean.jpg

Cool, never knew that. I don't know why but a timetravelling fridge would seem more like a cheap parody of the Tardis from Doctor Who, must be the shape or something.

It was a different ad that was on RTE but followed the same formula virtually frame for frame.This seems to be the British version.

Yeah it is the British version, that was just what popped into my head when you said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Niles wrote: »
    Cool, never knew that. I don't know why but a timetravelling fridge would seem more like a cheap parody of the Tardis from Doctor Who, must be the shape or something.

I think Nighthawks went for the fridge angle, a skit called 'De Valera in my Fridge'.

Not sure if he was cryogenically frozen or if the fridge was a time portal of some sort.

Re the nuclear war ad, remember watching a docu on it once as a kid, frightened the living crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Does anyone remember the PSA on RTE with the lad in a leather jacket talking about going out every weekend with his mates and getting locked with a flagon of cider? Early 80's I think.

Anyone remember the PSA (animated) with the cute family dog who (the instant he's put out for the night) turns into a wild rabid hunter killing the farmers sheep?

I'd love to see a video of that one again.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Anyone remember the PSA (animated) with the cute family dog who (the instant he's put out for the night) turns into a wild rabid hunter killing the farmers sheep?

I'd love to see a video of that one again.
    Yes,"roaming free he can be a killer".At the the end of the ad he returns home and sits in front of the fire where he turns to the viewers with a look on his face as if butter woulden't melt in his mouth.

Advertisement