Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

Have we a clean bill of health for this one? Thought we looked a bit tired last weekend which is no surprise with the schedule of matches over the past few weeks. Hopefully we can get past this weekend and have a 2/3 week break to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 indosilverclub

have to say it really is amazing how little this team has done to manoeuvre itself into being considered a top 3 team. I reckon they might be found out very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

have to say it really is amazing how little this team has done to manoeuvre itself into being considered a top 3 team. I reckon they might be found out very soon

They can only beat what's in front of them and they have done that each time with the exception of the Dublin match. Our performance that day let us down but we were still within a kick of the ball at the end. The pundits can say what they like because it doesn't really matter who the number three team is anyway does it.....although it seems to be bothering the Dubs quite a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 indosilverclub

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    They can only beat what's in front of them and they have done that each time with the exception of the Dublin match. Our performance that day let us down but we were still within a kick of the ball at the end. The pundits can say what they like because it doesn't really matter who the number three team is anyway does it.....although it seems to be bothering the Dubs quite a bit :D

suppose so. I reckon geezer hates how they are considered such. that dublin game though. They were being dominated until the sending off. Don't get me wrong, I think they are good and improving all the time but I will be putting money on Donegal next weekend

paddypower

Kildare v Donegal

lillies 8/13

draw 15/2

the forgotten county 7/4

draw looks ok there actually. this really could end up a stalemate of epic proportions. two extremely defensive master tacticians. not the game to introduce a mate to GAA but I have to admit I will be glued

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mark_cc

I reckon that Donegal defence is gonna cause a problem for Kildare. Its very crowded and forcing Kildare to shoot from distance with a very slow posession based build-up could undo the lillies chances of getting a decent scoreline

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Donegal V Kildare is going to be a very interesting tactical battle. Donegal are well known for their tactics and the Plan A and Plan B and Plan C set up by Kildare will be pushed to the limit I reckon. Very hard game to call - but Kildare for me - just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

good to see dermot early back playing yesterday and he even scored a point in the last minute. what a legend..
    It looks like we are going to get our full team back for the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Surprised there's been so little activity in this thread all along, subscribed now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I have a feeling Kildare are gonna involved in the thick of it come September time....

BUT (and it's a massive but) we need our best players to be fit for the entire campaign. A full strength lilywhite team (i.e one that includes Earley, Kelly and Conway back fit) means that Doyle can get into the scoring positions that just wasn't possible last season. Although it must be said, he did a decent job of deputising for arguably the best midfielder in the country (when fit).

Thoughts about our chances this year? Leinster... finally seal the deal with Sam and bring him home?

Also, does anyone else think that Dublin are being a tad over-hyped for this early in the season... albeit Kildare have been hyped to ridiculous levels by the media in previous years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

full_irish wrote: »
    I have a feeling Kildare are gonna involved in the thick of it come September time....

BUT (and it's a massive but) we need our best players to be fit for the entire campaign. A full strength lilywhite team (i.e one that includes Earley, Kelly and Conway back fit) means that Doyle can get into the scoring positions that just wasn't possible last season. Although it must be said, he did a decent job of deputising for arguably the best midfielder in the country (when fit).

Thoughts about our chances this year? Leinster... finally seal the deal with Sam and bring him home?

Also, does anyone else think that Dublin are being a tad over-hyped for this early in the season... albeit Kildare have been hyped to ridiculous levels by the media in previous years.
    I think a Leinster title is well within our capabilities but I just don't thin we are good enough to win an All-Ireland, I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't think Dublin are been over hyped at all, they are AI champions after all and so far this year apart from the Tyrone game they have been pretty good and that's without Bernard Brogan, Cluxton et al.

Wasn't it great to see Dermot Earley making his come back last Sunday? Nice touch by JD to pass him the ball for a point when he could have easily slotted it over himself.

Louth will not be easy on Sunday, they are our bogey team. I'd take a 1 point win now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Kildare will have Hugh Lynch coming back in too so hopefully himself and Earley will team up and sort out our midfield, and as you say allow Johnny to get into those scoring positions.

In fairness Dublin do look a bit hungrier than I had hoped. Was hoping they may be a bit hungover from their big year next year but maybe that was just wishful thinking :D. All the same, Kildare are improving every game and if they keep it up they should be a force to be reckoned with.

Would be nice to see them go far (and maybe win) in Leinster also avoiding having to play a lot of consecutive matches like they did last year. It can help a bit but when you play four or five in a row it starts taking its toll

In fairness, I was wondering r.e: dublin being over-hyped cus the only game I have seen was the O'Byrne game against Kildare (Yes I know it was basically a second string team they had out.)

How are we looking performance wise? Where are we looking weak/strong so far? [other than the usual haemorrhaging of scoring opportunities that we manage. Although the game against Derry wasn't as bad as usual]

I'm over in Scotland in uni and only getting to read match reports which tell you fcuk all in fairness

In the last two game we have done well IMO. We've hit 2-31 in them games so our shooting and goal taking has certainly improved. Our mid field was non existent on Sunday though, Daryl Flynn has had a pretty poor last few games and we need him to be playing at his best in the absence of Earley and Lynch.

Our backs against Derry were very good Peter Kelly had Paddy Bradley in his pocket and deservedly won man of the match. Johnny Doyle hit 3 brilliant second half points and as usual worked himself into the ground. James Kavanagh was very lively as was Alan Smith when he was introduced, he scored a goal too which will do his confidence no harm.

There is still a lot to work on though, our foot passing at times is shocking and our reading of the game can be suspect too, the 2 Derry goals are a perfect example where we were caught flat footed down the centre of the back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

a place us lily whites can call home lads..

so apparently seanie johnston is heading towards st conleths park.. any views or opinions?

im unsure on this i can see him being a huge asset but at whos expense??

no way will he take conways spot as far as i know he plays centre half forward normally well thats what i have read anyways..

another one is our genius midfielder dermot earley made an appearance last week in st conleths and what an entrance the stadium nearly shook apart with the joy and cheer from the crowd, it was a special moment for a special player...

im sure you all feel the passion for our county, im saying it now lads that team is getting better all the time.

its only gonna take a rub of the green for something really special to happen for us and by god do the lads deserve it.....

CILL DARA ABU

Kildare team to face Louth on Sunday.

Shane Connolly, St. Laurences
    Peter Kelly, Two Mile House
    Michael Foley, Athy
    Ollie Lyons, Celbridge
    Emmet Bolton, Eadestown
    Morgan O’Flaherty, Carbury
    Hugh McGrillen, Celbridge
    Daryl Flynn, Moorefield
    John Doyle, Allenwood
    James Kavanagh, Ballymore
    Mikey Conway, Nurney
    Padraig O’Neill, St. Laurences
    Eamonn Callaghan, Naas
    Tomás O’Connor, Clane
    Eoghan O’Flaherty, Carbury

Looking at that isn't it amazing there's only one player from the two biggest clubs in Kildare, Moorefield and Sarsfields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Earley's comeback reception will be remembered for a very long time in the hearts of lillywhites. True gent, well deserved and very fitting that the big man got the last point courtesy of another kildare legend in JD. Special day in St.Conleths Park. :D

My view on Seanie Johnston coming?? Well first of all I have to say I dont mind either way whether he comes or not because I feel we are going to do something special this year and quite right as you put it, the lads getting what they deserve after all the hard work, and knocking on the door the past few seasons. We mean business this year lads! :cool:

What I will say though is that I do admire Seanie and his persistence. He has had alot of obstacles been thrown at him and still seems determined and committed to his transfer. It is going to the DRA now as mcgeeney said it would and now he will have to fit the DRA bill. The DRA are an independent body it is the rule book that will be looked at and If he complies and satisfies the rules In my honest opinion there is no reason for it to be turned down.:confused: Will just have to wait and see.

On non transfer news. I see the same team has been selected that overcame Derry for sunday. A must win game to keep promotion hopes alive. It will be a tough one kildare dont have to be reminded of it. Kavanagh did well the last day and was great to see A smith get the goal so hopefully forwards shown a bit of confidence. TOC doing well upfront and would love to have JD there for him to offload to. Midfield cleaned out the last day so the pairing with flynn is a slight concern as are the backs at the minute but no doubt after Derry things will tighten up in that area. Thought P kelly had a super game. Not sure how far/off is Lynch but would love to see him get a few mins. To sum up hope we put in another good performance and fingers crossed its another 2 points on the board sunday.

Dermot Early played 30 min with his club team Sarsfields last night and played well in the centre of the field so hopfully we will see him back in midfield for kildare soon because we need him there for sure..

Cant see kildare losing tommorrow and by right they shouldn't. we should win easily and I reakon the score will be kildare 1-16 to louths 0-12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Cant see kildare losing tommorrow and by right they shouldn't. we should win easily and I reakon the score will be kildare 1-16 to louths 0-12

By right? They have to earn the right to win by making sure they play better than Louth or in other ways playing less worse than Louth.Louth have taken Kildare on occasion when Kildare were heavy favourites.They may beat Louth easily, then again Louth may pip them.

I went for Louth in the pools as there is always a surprise each week and this one has the potential along with the Galway- Tyrone game.

Earley is a huge boost.

blackbelt wrote: »
    By right? They have to earn the right to win by making sure they play better than Louth or in other ways playing less worse than Louth.Louth have taken Kildare on occasion when Kildare were heavy favourites.They may beat Louth easily, then again Louth may pip them.

I went for Louth in the pools as there is always a surprise each week and this one has the potential along with the Galway- Tyrone game.

Earley is a huge boost.

Didn't agree with Roy's comment very disrespectful to Louth IMO!!! Bad form!!!

On another note dermot is a MASSIVE boost for us please god he can escape another injury

Great win for the lilies today!! Louth are certainly not a brush aside team as suggested earlier good solid display from us away from home!!!

Well done lads

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Advertisement

Louth 0-17 2-15 Kildare

Decent performance today, it's hard to believe promotion now in our own hands. Thought we played with real purpose going forward but at the back we seem far too open. Playing Foley out around CB / Midfield seems to rob the full back line of some of its solidity and Ollie found his man a real handful also. The two fade- outs in the second and fourth quarters were concerning but on the positive side I thought the forwards showed good form despite some more bad wides. JD was brilliant again and Mikey Conway improved. Good stuff from O'Connor also and Kavanagh in patches. It's great to see us knocking in another two goals today. I like McGrillen in the wing back role. Leper was everywhere too. 2 more wins and we're back playing Tyrone in Croker, which would be the perfect dry run for the championship, particularly given we are very late out in the Championship this year.

Division 2. P W D L F A P
    Tyrone.........5 5 0 0 9-64 0-55....10
    Kildare.........5 3 0 2 4-70 6-64.....6
    Galway........5 2 1 2 3-61 3-61.....5
    Meath..........5 2 0 3 4-63 2-57.....4
    Monaghan...5 2 0 3 5-69 3-75.....4
    Derry...........5 2 0 3 3-55 5-60.....4
    Westmeath..5 2 0 3 2-52 4-64.....4
    Louth...........5 1 1 3 1-68 8-66.....3

Good result today but a few things...

did we kick the usual amount of wides as we always do?

it seems worrying the amount of score-able free kicks we gave away. Can't afford this against better opposition.

Did Earley get a run out today at all?

No sign of Earley yesterday I suppose we have to bring him back slowly he did play 30min on friday night..
    Easy enough win yesterday I had the confidance in our team we were 10 pionts clear with 15 mins to go and 5 points ahead after 15 mins but we let our guard down and let them back into it.
    I never taught that kildare wouldnt be a place for promotion as i have them in the pools to go up with tyrone.
    Flynn didnt play well in the center again, thats his fourth game in a row playing bad he must need a holiday!!
    I liked smithy coming into the game he did make the first goal.but what I liked about him was that he came running out from the forwards to meet the attack which TOC or JK were not doing.
    All in all great result and bring on westmeath

All in all great result and bring on westmeath

I concur. I feel its gonna come down to getting a result in Galway... which will be difficult enough BUT the sort of games we need to be winning if we're to be challenging for any silverware this year.

full_irish wrote: »
    I concur. I feel its gonna come down to getting a result in Galway... which will be difficult enough BUT the sort of games we need to be winning if we're to be challenging for any silverware this year.

Totally agree with you we need to win the next two games if we are going to get any sliverware this year.
    It would be nice to play Tyrone again in the league final.

Couldn't care less about a league final TBH. Once we finish in the top 2 and playing Div.1 football next year is all that matters. We should beat Westmeath next weekend and then its winner takes all in Galway.

In terms of the championship a Leinster title would be nice though what ever about an All Ireland.

Couldn't care less about a league final TBH. Once we finish in the top 2 and playing Div.1 football next year is all that matters. We should beat Westmeath next weekend and then its winner takes all in Galway.

In terms of the championship a Leinster title would be nice though what ever about an All Ireland.

Why don't you care about league final??

Why don't you care about league final??
    It's pretty meaningless. Promotion is more important.

It's pretty meaningless. Promotion is more important.

Defeats the purpose of competition then?? Ffs lol

• Advertisement

Defeats the purpose of competition then?? Ffs lol
    How do you make that out?

Top two teams are promoted, a league final is a nice day out in Croker and all that but a div.2 league trophy means SFA at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong a good tough game against Tyrone in Croker would be ideal preparation for the championship though.

Advertisement