Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Shall be a good day out in croker for all cavan Folk...:)..And a win would just be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Found out there that ballinagh have four on the panel five if you count macdermott who will most likely join up with the senior panel after the u21s are finished

I stand corrected. I'm probably think of previous years where Castlerahan had three or four.

On a different note, I far prefer Cavan being underdogs. I hear Galway have a very strong midfielder though, who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Lemlin wrote: »
    I hear Galway have a very strong midfielder though, who is he?

Tomás Flynn in particular was outstanding in the semi-final, and completely outplayed Aidan Walsh. Ó Curraoin was excellent too. Both are very good strong midfielders. They are only 18/19 years of age but Cork' two talented midfielders Walsh and Micheál Ó Laoire were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Galway's midfield were excellent alright, a great boost since it's an area we've struggled badly in at senior level. This Galway team is much better than I thought they would be at the start of the year, and the win over Cork was no fluke.

On the other hand any team that wins Ulster has to be doing something right, so I expect Cavan to be tough opponents. And great to have it in Croke Park, I had heard Markiewicz Park mentioned initially, but Croke Park is a far more fitting venue for an All-Ireland Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From the Hogan Stand cavan section:
    Ticket info for Cadbury U21FC final
    19 April 2011

Tickets for the Cadbury All-Ireland U21FC final against Galway at Croke Park on Sunday 1 May are to be ordered through clubs.

Ticket cost €25 for adults; students and OAP's are €25 (€10 concession is available on submission of ticket at selected turnstiles), while children up to U16 are just €5.

Family tickets are available (Cusack and Davin stands only) which can consist of any combination eg. 1 Adult & 4 Children, 3 Adults & 4 children, 4 Adults and 1 Child etc.

All tickets are to be ordered through the Club. Clubs must submit orders by MIDNIGHT on Sunday 24th April.

Club orders will be available for collection from Tuesday 26th April to Friday 29th April.
    http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=146549

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Guess I'll be shaving and shrinking as I try sly in with an U16 ticket...:D

This Cavan team is decent, we haven't gone behind by more than 2 points to any team yet and unusually for a Cavan team seem very comfortable holding onto a lead, they are very adept at getting ahead by 2-3 points with a burst and then tagging on scores to match their opponents even for large periods of the game. Two quality free takers in Reilly and Brady have frees on both sides covered and McDermott and Brady are very dangerous from play.

However watching this Galway side on TG4 Saturday night I would say they have the edge, they have a stronger midfield than Cavan who have one ball playing midfielder at his most comfortable going forward and a work horse who breaks up play. Also Galway's forwards look to be stronger as a group than what we have faced thus far. Cavan have had luck on their side against Tyrone and Wexford, both games could easily have swung in another direction, Tyrone denied a penalty and missing a 2 on 1 goal chance and Wexford hitting the post twice and our midfielder clearing off the line twice.

Comparisons with other teams going into a final aren't a good marker but it's worth noting that Galway disposed of Roscommon with ease in the Connacht Final, a team that Cavan struggled to get past in the Hastings Cup.

I think this Cavan team have come a long way since they were at minor level. It's great to see this group of players winning games because, all too often, Cavan have snapped defeat from the jaws of victory. A winning mentality is greatly needed in Cavan and has been lacking for too long. These lads appear to be used to grinding out results and that's the bit of class that Tyrone and Armagh, and now perhaps Down have, that the rest of Ulster don't.

I can acknowledge your point re luck but I don't think luck comes into it myself. I'm sure any team can look back over games and say with one bounce of the ball different or one shot not hitting the post etc. However, it's the true teams like Kerry and Tyrone that are always on the right side of the bounce and I don't believe its luck, I believe its having a winning mentality where they grind out results. As the saying goes, a great team make their own luck.

One thing I noticed last week was a picture of the Virginia College team that won two Vocational school All-Ireland championships in a row. It's amazing how many of those two panels are on this U21 team. Some of these lads have been to All-Ireland finals before and have great experience of playing in big matches and grinding out results. That's exactly what Cavan need.

No matter what the result next Sunday though, this has been a great year for Cavan football already.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think this Cavan team have come a long way since they were at minor level. It's great to see this group of players winning games because, all too often, Cavan have snapped defeat from the jaws of victory. A winning mentality is greatly needed in Cavan and has been lacking for too long. These lads appear to be used to grinding out results and that's the bit of class that Tyrone and Armagh, and now perhaps Down have, that the rest of Ulster don't.

I can acknowledge your point re luck but I don't think luck comes into it myself. I'm sure any team can look back over games and say with one bounce of the ball different or one shot not hitting the post etc. However, it's the true teams like Kerry and Tyrone that are always on the right side of the bounce and I don't believe its luck, I believe its having a winning mentality where they grind out results. As the saying goes, a great team make their own luck.

One thing I noticed last week was a picture of the Virginia College team that won two Vocational school All-Ireland championships in a row. It's amazing how many of those two panels are on this U21 team. Some of these lads have been to All-Ireland finals before and have great experience of playing in big matches and grinding out results. That's exactly what Cavan need.

No matter what the result next Sunday though, this has been a great year for Cavan football already.

Fair point about the bit of luck, you make your own luck as they say.. And the more you examine that the more it become true, for years people have been touting our Minor sides and lamenting "bad luck" when they lose out by a small margin. I never bought into this and always thought it wasn't bad luck but bad management and lack of winning mentality instilled in the players.

Working with such a small population I believe Cavan's best chance of remaining competitive is to put a lot of effort into Minor and Schools and U-21 and keep them going well, the odd final and the odd win, we will never be big enough to be dominant but keep things ticking over and produce a few lads each year.

I'm also a fan of Tom Reilly's ethos, he is massively positive, at half time during the Wexford game on the radio he apparently said "Don't worry about this game, we will pull away in the second half, I just want the people at home not to build up too much hype before the final".. He's sticking to Cavan men for the management positions and history has shown us this is the real recipe for success. Although the minor appointment does leave something to be desired...

I hope Cavan go out and play football against Galway, I accept that the swarming defence was necessary for periods of the Wexford game due to tired legs and tired minds but we got dangerously close to the Donegal style of play. I sincerly hope we go back to our earlier style and the style played last year, a game built on high fielding, quality long ball and blinding speed from the inside forwards varied by raids from the half forward and midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

This Cavan team is decent, we haven't gone behind by more than 2 points to any team yet and unusually for a Cavan team seem very comfortable holding onto a lead, they are very adept at getting ahead by 2-3 points with a burst and then tagging on scores to match their opponents even for large periods of the game. Two quality free takers in Reilly and Brady have frees on both sides covered and McDermott and Brady are very dangerous from play.

However watching this Galway side on TG4 Saturday night I would say they have the edge, they have a stronger midfield than Cavan who have one ball playing midfielder at his most comfortable going forward and a work horse who breaks up play. Also Galway's forwards look to be stronger as a group than what we have faced thus far. Cavan have had luck on their side against Tyrone and Wexford, both games could easily have swung in another direction, Tyrone denied a penalty and missing a 2 on 1 goal chance and Wexford hitting the post twice and our midfielder clearing off the line twice.

Comparisons with other teams going into a final aren't a good marker but it's worth noting that Galway disposed of Roscommon with ease in the Connacht Final, a team that Cavan struggled to get past in the Hastings Cup.
    KEEP THE FAITH suits you,talk about talking a team down.:rolleyes:

Merely stating things as I see them and from what I have seen of both teams, Galway look the more likely to win it on what they have shown thus far. They are favourites for a reason..

That said, the game is nigh on impossible to call with any level of certainty, we don't know how the players will react to Croker, whether Cavan will revert to the long ball or stick to the running game or mix it up, whether a fit Gearoid and Leddy can handle Galway's midfield. All questions which remain to be answered.

I think it will be extremely tough and Cavan will have to play out of their skin to get a result. This is a special group of players and I believe they have the mentality and certainly the ability to rise to the occasion.

I think Cavan can upset the odds, 3rd time lucky for us in U21 Finals. Cavan by 4.

• Advertisement

Merely stating things as I see them and from what I have seen of both teams, Galway look the more likely to win it on what they have shown thus far. They are favourites for a reason..

That said, the game is nigh on impossible to call with any level of certainty, we don't know how the players will react to Croker, whether Cavan will revert to the long ball or stick to the running game or mix it up, whether a fit Gearoid and Leddy can handle Galway's midfield. All questions which remain to be answered.

I think it will be extremely tough and Cavan will have to play out of their skin to get a result. This is a special group of players and I believe they have the mentality and certainly the ability to rise to the occasion.

I think Cavan can upset the odds, 3rd time lucky for us in U21 Finals. Cavan by 4.
    On a lighter note,i hope the lads enjoy the occasion .They have already achived alot in winning Ulster,and awakening the Cavan interest in football.I think if they relax, Croke park wont get to them,and thats a plus in these games.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

Anybody left in Cavan?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

is there any other live coverage today apart from tg4,(any web streaming?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Galway lived up to their hot favourite tags, but hats off the the cavan team and management for getting so far - a great achievement, which gives all cavan people great hope for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I am gutted for the lads but am thankful to them for the journey they brought us on this year. They have done excellent to get so far (beating both Donegal and Tyrone is no easy feat and bet Wexford while not playing particularly well) but came up against a determined Galway team who have quality all over the pitch. All credit to Galway, they are a great team and deserved their victory. I think the u21 championship has benefited hugely from having the Cavan team, and their supporters, go so far.

Great to see the turn out yesterday. I've been travelling the M3 nearly every day since it opened and have never seen it as busy. The convoy of cars going up was a sight to behold and it was great to see the whole county get behind the team.

It was a pity for the lads. The pressure seemed to get to them and they didn't give a great account of themselves on the day but I've heard that as many as 8 of the starting 15 are eligible for the next two years so hopefully they'll be back.

Niall Smith was by far Cavan's best player on the day I thought so well done to him. He ran tirelessly. Here's hoping the seniors or minors can give us another few games to get excited about.

The U21s have done us proud and brought home an Ulster championship.

All said,it was an outing for the Cavan people,and not just the football supporters.For that we should thank the team.They will have other days:).

Time to move on from the U21 and get ready for the toughest provincial championship in the country by a mile. I can think as many as 5 teams (Armagh, Down, Donegal, Tyrone and Derry) could have a say.

Cavan have either Donegal or Antrim and, with all respect to Antrim, I expect us to be playing Donegal - a tough task given they are Division 2 champions and have a certain Michael Murphy probably starting at FF.

Here's my starting 15 for the championship based on present form:

James Reilly
    Oisin Minagh
    Tomas Corr
    Dane O'Dowd
    Mark McKeever
    Pauric O'Reilly
    John McCutcheon
    David Givney
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Ronan Flanigan
    Gareth 'Nesty' Smith
    Keith Fannin
    Niall McDermott
    Eugene Keating
    Sean Johnston

That would leave the likes of Michael Brennan, Raymond Cullivan, Lyng and Mackey on the bench to come on in support.

Different tactics could be used also e.g. Keating dropping back to leave a two man full forward line, be it to support midfield or the half back line. It'd also leave U21s like Niall Smith on the bench to come on late in the game as subs and get some experience.

What do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Championship Panel

James Reilly, Alan O'Mara, Damien Reilly, Dane O'Dowd, Dermot Sheridan, Mark McKeever, Martin Cahill, Stephen Jordan, Thomas Corr, John McCutcheon, Patrick Carroll, James McEnroe, Brendan Fitzpatrick, Cian Mackey, Keith Fannin, Michael Brennan, Ray Cullivan, Ronan Flanagan, Gareth Smith, Seanie Johnston, Eugene Keating, David Givney, Michael Lyng, Niall Murray, Gearoid McKiernan, Michael Brady, Niall McDermott, Fergal Flanagan, Oisin Moynagh, Damien Barkey, Barry Reilly and Niall McKiernan.

Pierson is injured
    Podge and Gaynor-left out
    10 Under 21's on the panel.

Hammar wrote: »
    Championship Panel

James Reilly, Alan O'Mara, Damien Reilly, Dane O'Dowd, Dermot Sheridan, Mark McKeever, Martin Cahill, Stephen Jordan, Thomas Corr, John McCutcheon, Patrick Carroll, James McEnroe, Brendan Fitzpatrick, Cian Mackey, Keith Fannin, Michael Brennan, Ray Cullivan, Ronan Flanagan, Gareth Smith, Seanie Johnston, Eugene Keating, David Givney, Michael Lyng, Niall Murray, Gearoid McKiernan, Michael Brady, Niall McDermott, Fergal Flanagan, Oisin Moynagh, Damien Barkey, Barry Reilly and Niall McKiernan.

Pierson is injured
    Podge and Gaynor-left out
    10 Under 21's on the panel.

Well all of my starting 15 are there except Pauric O'Reilly. Has he definitely been left out? I heard that he had been injured playing for Ballinagh.

There are 32 there so I'd imagine that panel will have to be cut further. Very surprised to see Lyng in there too.

• Advertisement

Well all of my starting 15 are there except Pauric O'Reilly. Has he definitely been left out? I heard that he had been injured playing for Ballinagh.

There are 32 there so I'd imagine that panel will have to be cut further. Very surprised to see Lyng in there too.

Yep Podge has been left out,im sure this panel is open-ended so we may see himself and maybe others brought in.
    Michael Hannon has been playing games for the Goonies,so he may see a recall in a few weeks time.
    Mickey Lyng played very well by all accounts last weekend in the two challenges against Down and Longford in K'Shandra and Gowna respectively.

Hammar wrote: »
    Yep Podge has been left out,im sure this panel is open-ended so we may see himself and maybe others brought in.
    Michael Hannon has been playing games for the Goonies,so he may see a recall in a few weeks time.
    Mickey Lyng played very well by all accounts last weekend in the two challenges against Down and Longford in K'Shandra and Gowna respectively.

Pauric O'Reilly being dropped, even if he may be called back, is a surprise. He started some league games at midfield and I would have thought he'd be a shoe-in for centre half back.
    I'd imagine the team will be 10-12 of the older lads with two or three of the U21s (Minagh, McDermott and McKiernan).

Back to the top we go.
    For Sunday

Oisin Minagh is in the US
    David Givney is struggling with fitness
    Podge is out
    Ronan Flanagan is doubtful.

Thoughts on the team/how the game will go?

Things don't look good for Sunday. I wouldn't be overly concerned with Flanagan's absence, usually solid but rarely makes a huge impact. I think Sheridan may be sent out to man mark Murphy, McCutcheon in Midfield with Givney and Gearoid at half forward. I really hope McDermott is given a chance inside instead of Mackey or Brennan. Hyland will surely stick with the same plan that he used against Donegal in the 21s, the forwards won't follow the half backs when they retreat and that will leave more space.

Very very hard to predict the 15 given the unpredicability of teams so far but mine would be:

1. James Reilly
    2. Dane O'Dowd
    3. Sheridan
    4. Thomas Corr
    5. Damien O'Reilly
    6. McEnroe
    7. McKeever
    8. Givney
    9. McCutheon
    10. McKiernan
    11. Nesty
    12. Cullivan
    13. McDermott
    14. Keating
    15. Johnston

What do people think the team will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team named:
    1 J Reilly
    2 J McEnroe
    3 P Carroll
    4 D O Dowd
    5 N Murray
    6 J McCutcheon
    7 D Reilly
    8 R Cullivan
    9 D Givney
    10 G McKiernan
    11 M Lyng
    12 F Flanagan
    13 N McDermott
    14 E Keating
    15 S Johnston

I think I make it a total of 8 debutantes! :eek:
    [/FONT]

irishbuzz wrote: »
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team named:
    1 J Reilly
    2 J McEnroe
    3 P Carroll
    4 D O Dowd
    5 N Murray
    6 J McCutcheon
    7 D Reilly
    8 R Cullivan
    9 D Givney
    10 G McKiernan
    11 M Lyng
    12 F Flanagan
    13 N McDermott
    14 E Keating
    15 S Johnston

I think I make it a total of 8 debutantes! :eek:
    [/FONT]

Is Podge definitely out? I thought they were waiting on a fitness test.
    I'm very surprised to see no McKeever, Fannin or Dermot Sheridan in the starting 15.
    Cullivan didn't even look fit against Tipp yet is at midfield.
    I don't think that 15 will be starting on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Hi lads, anybody have any idea how much it will be in to the stand on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

killer91 wrote: »
    Hi lads, anybody have any idea how much it will be in to the stand on Sunday?

Covered is 27 or 28 yoyos.

uncovered 3 less

terrace 15

celt262 wrote: »
    Covered is 27 or 28 yoyos.

uncovered 3 less

terrace 15

Prices are very high. I would of thought 20 for seated and 10 for terrace was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is this on TV?

Advertisement