Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I'm looking for a good sports bra for hi impact aerobics and possibly jogging. Size about 38F . I've looked at Bravassimo and Amazon. I am prepared to pay €30 for something that does the job . Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Just went out to do W3D2 but somehow managed to set my app wrong and ended up doing W2D3 - oops! Oh well at least i went out and did something cos I have been putting it off all week. Will do W3D2 tomorrow morn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

I just finished Week 1 last night - I can't believe I'm getting really addicted to the buzz from running (very slowly!). Went to the gym this morning, but refrained from running just to give my legs a bit of a rest - full rest day tomorrow, then Week 2 begins on Monday!! Actually looking forward to it. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bisset wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good sports bra for hi impact aerobics and possibly jogging. Size about 38F . I've looked at Bravassimo and Amazon. I am prepared to pay €30 for something that does the job . Any suggestions?

This (Shock Absorber B4490) is what I wear - in shops here it's slightly more expensive than what you're willing to pay (I think it's about €38 in JJB in Tallaght, which is as cheap as I've seen it outside of sales) but I find it great. Very comfortable and very supportive.

W4D2 done. I can definitely feel my stamina coming back now - even doing a bit of a sprint for the last minute before my 5 minute cooldown walk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Running shoes purchased today. :eek: Question, if ye start off on turf/grass and build up on that, do you have to do anything if you then move to cement/tarmac...so as you don't hurt yourself? [/n00b]

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

W3D2 Done :) According to the GPS on my App i appear to be getting progressively slower everyday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Just in the door from W5D3! Such a beautiful day for a run and so delighted to have finished it. When the voice in my ear said "only 60 seconds left" I even felt so good that I sprinted to the end - must have had a silly looking grin on my face because I was getting very some strange looks :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

SL10 wrote: »
    W3D2 Done :) According to the GPS on my App i appear to be getting progressively slower everyday :o

It's a zen thing. By W8D5 you'll be doing the whole run standing still... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just ran 7K with a friend around the Killarney National Park. First time running outdoors in about 3 years!

Dunno how I didn't collapse. Seeing as I had 3 hours sleep last night and worked a breakfast shift at 7am this morning...BUT I DID IT! Shame she is in college in Limerick and not around to motivate me all the time...doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

W2D1 complete! :) It absolutely FLEW!

When I started off I got a twinge in my foot on the top of it where it connects with my ankle....It should be ok right???? Had some burny lung after the first run even though I had a brisk warm up walk but when I got into it, it got better.

The park where I usually run has no training/football matches on so it was pitch black just did one lap of there (I was scaring myself looking into the darkness for the boogie man!) and as I was running out of the park I scared another runner! I thought my huffing and puffing would have given me away but obviously not, I must be a silent runner! :D Ran around a few housing estates to make up for the park so I'll get to know the area too...even though I've been here over a year I never wandered around other estates! :rolleyes:

On my last run I started off very slow broke into quite a quick run and finished off with a ten second sprint! It feels amazing! :D Looking forward to a nice bit of grub now! :) I am starving!

Such a newsy post! :P

So much for a rest day today - it was such a beautiful morning myself and the OH went for a walk up to the tv mast on Mount Leinster - only 3km round trip but very steep ascent/descent, I hope I haven't wrecked my knees for Week 2 start tomorrow. The views made it all worthwhile though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

This (Shock Absorber B4490) is what I wear - in shops here it's slightly more expensive than what you're willing to pay (I think it's about €38 in JJB in Tallaght, which is as cheap as I've seen it outside of sales) but I find it great. Very comfortable and very supportive.

Just bought something similar (Shock Absorber B5044) for ~£19 on amazon.co.uk. The delivery is free to Ireland if you spend over £25, think thats the cheapest I've seen them. Just wish I could get the motivation to go out running as easy. Did W3D1 yesterday (first time running outside so went back a week), nearly died. Didn't realise there would be such a difference between walking outside v the gym. Don't think the tarmac did my poor knees/ankles much good and as for running in the wind, thought my lungs were going to explode, think I'll keep to the tread mill for another while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

A strange thing is happening to me because of c25k. I'm finding myself standing outside sports shops drooling over running gear. Scary phrases like "mmm...dri-fit", "look at the racerback on that" and "wow, I bet there'd be a nice bounce with those runners" are slipping into my vocabulary. I am losing interest in pretty dresses and heels and am looking longingly at colourful racing tops and jackets instead. I was not warned this might be a possible side-effect of c25k!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Just about to go for my first run of week 2! It's very cold outside but I will do it. I know I'll feel great after it. I never felt like this about the gym! (Still hate it. :mad:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Started tonight. Started to get feedback from my legs around the third 60 second run and thought to myself, 'wait, people do this willingly?' :pac: After that it was grand, glad I've begun. :)

Kimia wrote: »
    It's very cold outside but I will do it.
    It's not cold, it's refreshing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Folks,

Planning to start the C25K soon.

I have a couple of questions on footwear.

I plan doing walking to a local park 10 mins away and the running on grass.

What is the best footwear for the job, considering the two surfaces?

Do you clean/wash the footwear after every run?
    How do you get them dry prior to your next run 2 days later?

Thanks.

The best footwear for road and grass running would be a pair of standard running shoes suited to your gait.

Best way to dry out your running shoes is to stuff them with newspaper. Heat can damage the shoes (so don't put them in the washing machine or tumble drier).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

W2D1 started today, really enjoyed it I have to say, this good weather is making it easier to go out and do it, hopefully the good weather will stay with us for a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

It's not cold, it's refreshing :D

It's very cold where I am :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

starting tomorrow on tuesday, have my eye on a pair of new balance runners that are on the elverys site, might see if they have them in arklow tomorrow and try them on:)

hmm ok today didnt go to well didnt realise i was so unfit:rolleyes: only managed to do 2 of the runs and the second one only for 50 seconds so walked the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Good on you for getting out there psycho! I am spool tired and am meant to do d2w6 this evening...
    (awaits standard motivational kick in the ass photo from rainbow kirby)

Did W2D1 this morning and it wasn't too bad - my calves and bum are killing me from the steep walk on Sunday, but strangely it didn't affect my running at all once I got going.

I'm going to try and really enjoy this week as I think its all going to get much harder from Week 3 onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi girls, so glad I found this thread I did week 8 d1 today never in a million years did I think o would ever run 28mins straight I was the girl in school that forged letters to get out of PE! So anyone starting honestly if I can do it anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Psycho-hope, that was your first run wasn't it? I wouldn't be discouraged, I actually found the first one the hardest too. Wasn't used to running outside and 8 intervals can be daunting. It will get easier.

Did W3D1 today. My ipod and itunes both simultaneously decided to stop working so I had to go without my podcasts (the horror!!) and time myself.Got very confusing with all the 90 seconds jogs and I accidentally did all 3 minute walks where some of them were supposed to be 90 seconds. Ah well, I did it!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Psycho-hope, that was your first run wasn't it? I wouldn't be discouraged, I actually found the first one the hardest too. Wasn't used to running outside and 8 intervals can be daunting. It will get easier.

Did W3D1 today. My ipod and itunes both simultaneously decided to stop working so I had to go without my podcasts (the horror!!) and time myself.Got very confusing with all the 90 seconds jogs and I accidentally did all 3 minute walks where some of them were supposed to be 90 seconds. Ah well, I did it!

thanks foux :)

at tleast i got to indulge my shopping habit had to buy new runners, if anyone is looking elverys have some good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W6D2 done.. but i struggled and didnt do the final minute of my second run :(. D3 should be interesting! i might have to repeat this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah dont repeat you'll get bored, just slow down and stick with it!
    I missed w6d3 but I did w7d1 tonight. Managed 23min, had to take a 1min break before I did the last 2min :(
    I'll do it next time!
    I feel great :cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement