Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Larianne,

great thread, thanks a million for sharing all the advice! That goes to everybody who contributed, thank you!

Matures, how do you find college life? I just came across an article about a mature student (if anybody is interested: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0918/1224278860466.html) and apparently they are called "noddies" because they don't really ask questions and stuff like that.
    Also, in another thread someone said that some lecturers treat students like children as in "when you grow up" and "out there, in real life" type of monologues... How do you find that?

A question to Larianne, you said you were volunteering in the open week and you encouraged people to go up to you :) Does that mean i missed the open week at Trinity? Do you know if there will be another open day or week when i can go in and have a look around?

Ah, and another, physio-specific question: what is the 2.1 that some people on the thread have mentioned? Is it a leaving cert result or HPAT or a degree grade (if you have one)? I'm not Irish so my education results would be *slightly* different...

And that would be all for now :P Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Larianne,

great thread, thanks a million for sharing all the advice! That goes to everybody who contributed, thank you!

Matures, how do you find college life? I just came across an article about a mature student (if anybody is interested: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0918/1224278860466.html) and apparently they are called "noddies" because they don't really ask questions and stuff like that.
    Also, in another thread someone said that some lecturers treat students like children as in "when you grow up" and "out there, in real life" type of monologues... How do you find that?

A question to Larianne, you said you were volunteering in the open week and you encouraged people to go up to you :) Does that mean i missed the open week at Trinity? Do you know if there will be another open day or week when i can go in and have a look around?

Ah, and another, physio-specific question: what is the 2.1 that some people on the thread have mentioned? Is it a leaving cert result or HPAT or a degree grade (if you have one)? I'm not Irish so my education results would be *slightly* different...

And that would be all for now :P Thanks for all the help!

That week was an orientation week for mature students starting in Trinity this year. There is usually an Open Day in Trinity around November. I'd get in touch with Clodagh Byrne of Trinity's Mature Student Office and ask her when the open days or any other events for mature students will be happening.

The 2.1 grade is for people already with a degree who want to go on and do the graduate entry physio course.

I did read the article in the Irish Times on the Mature Student. Mature students always ask questions, always sit up the front and usually do nod!:) I made a point of not doing that last year. I mean I asked questions when they needed to be asked, but sometimes mature student do ask these irrelevant questions and hold up the class. But sur feck it, you're there to learn. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 baderheinhof

hi
    does anyone have any advice on advanced entry?
    i finished an ordinary degree in construction management, next year i hope to apply for advanced entry into an honours degree but im wondering if i will be considered since it will be 5 years since i graduated

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

hi
    does anyone have any advice on advanced entry?
    i finished an ordinary degree in construction management, next year i hope to apply for advanced entry into an honours degree but im wondering if i will be considered since it will be 5 years since i graduated

AFAIK ordinary degrees are level 7 and honours degrees are level 8 therfore your application will probably be considered. Though a lot will depend on the next budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

I'm doing an evening course in A&P (really basic, but gives me an intro to the lingo) and there are one or two people who would go into longish details of their personal history like how or why they know this or that - after that i don't think i'll elaborate in long personal monologues in college :rolleyes: Sure it's ok i just... wouldn't do it myself :p
    Larianne wrote: »
    That week was an orientation week for mature students starting in Trinity this year. There is usually an Open Day in Trinity around November. I'd get in touch with Clodagh Byrne of Trinity's Mature Student Office and ask her when the open days or any other events for mature students will be happening.

I have requested and promptly received a mature app booklet, according to which the open day @Trinity is 1 December 2010. Mature student information evening will be on 13 January 2011.
    Also, UCD open days are 10 and 11 December 2010. (Booklet not ready yet but they are very quick in replying in email.)
    For anybody who was wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 independentman

some fantastic advice, the whole thread has been a great help. A lot of the colleges should link to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just wondering If anyone has a list of what supporting documents you must send to the CAO as it doesn't really clarify this very well on the website?

Must we include a copy of our leaving cert results? Shouldn't the cao already have a copy of this?
    I also did my GCSE's in England,Must I give a copy of these results as well?

Also,If you started a degree and did not finish it must you give examination result transcripts, or is supporting documents just needed for completed degrees?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

panda100 wrote: »
    Just wondering If anyone has a list of what supporting documents you must send to the CAO as it doesn't really clarify this very well on the website?

Must we include a copy of our leaving cert results? Shouldn't the cao already have a copy of this?

Also,If you started a degree and did not finish it must you give examination result transcripts, or is supporting documents just needed for completed degrees?

Hey Panda100,
    I was told last year by the nice lady in CAO, that any for state exams (so leaving cert, GCSE's etc) a transcript should be sent in. If you need copies, you can send to the relevant education board for a fee and they'll send you out transcripts. After that, she told me to send a transcript for my degree in , but I was mid way through a grad. dip at the time and she said it was up to me if I wanted to send in a transcript of results to date on that, but to be aware the colleges might ask for a copy at interview, if I reached that stage. So from that I'd gather, transcripts for incompletes are optional, but if you're mentioning it on the personal statement, be aware it might be asked for later.

Other than that, any other supporting docs were certs for courses i mentioned, letters of recommendation (UCD asks for two for the course i applied for) and support for anything else that might have been mentioned. Just remember some places ask for separate personal statements also (UCD and Trinity this year I think) so check the website to be sure. Of all of them I found UCC was the most straight forward to deal with last year, this year sure we'll see :D
    Any other questions, let me know?

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Hey Panda100,
    I was told last year by the nice lady in CAO, that any for state exams (so leaving cert, GCSE's etc) a transcript should be sent in. If you need copies, you can send to the relevant education board for a fee and they'll send you out transcripts. After that, she told me to send a transcript for my degree in , but I was mid way through a grad. dip at the time and she said it was up to me if I wanted to send in a transcript of results to date on that, but to be aware the colleges might ask for a copy at interview, if I reached that stage. So from that I'd gather, transcripts for incompletes are optional, but if you're mentioning it on the personal statement, be aware it might be asked for later.

Other than that, any other supporting docs were certs for courses i mentioned, letters of recommendation (UCD asks for two for the course i applied for) and support for anything else that might have been mentioned. Just remember some places ask for separate personal statements also (UCD and Trinity this year I think) so check the website to be sure. Of all of them I found UCC was the most straight forward to deal with last year, this year sure we'll see :D
    Any other questions, let me know?

Thanks JessieBelle.
    Can't see anything on cao for letters of recommendations?!Now I'm worried Im filling out the wrong form! I think il give the cao a buzz tomorrow and see what I need.
    I'm only applying to Trinity and they don't look for any supporting documentation at the initial stage, except for the mature application form.

Have you looked at pages 10,11, 12 of the CAO Handbook? It tells you what documents you need to supply. In your case as you did not complete your degree, you need a letter from the college stating when you withdrew from the course.

As Jessibelle has already said, you need to give them copies of your GSCE results, Leaving Cert Results, Results of any other type of course related to the field you wish to study.

Regarding the personal statement - I just had a look at the Handbook. On page 12 where it says completing the application for Part B, F- Mature.
    You may use additional sheets of paper if
    necessary.

To help you in presenting your application, the HEIs
    ask that you provide, in a single overall personal
    statement, the details in the next column, or as much
    of it as is relevant to your case.

Basically there isn't much of a limit of how many additional pages you may need.

Begin by explaining the relevance of your
    life/educational experience to your application and
    state your educational goals and objectives.
    This is where I slotted in my personal statement if I remember correctly. Section 2-8, I did out in a CV type format. I added my letters of recommendation after this. Edit: Just to add, I know Trinity don't ask for anything other than the Mature Student Application form but I'm pretty sure they see your CAO application so if you have your letters of recommendation are on there they will get to read them. (How are they to know you're not applying anywhere else. ;) )

Carefully go through the Handbook along with the application form and tick things off as it can get quite confusing with all the documents you have etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Can't see anything on cao for letters of recommendations?!Now I'm worried Im filling out the wrong form!

Ah you're grand then I think, UCD ask for letters of recommendation for some courses, not all of them though :) Trinity don't ask for anything other than the Mature Student Application form :) BTW my mate texted to say she's late emailing you back but she should be onto you during the week if thats ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Super Split

I'm 26 and I'm applying as a mature student to go back to college in September. I am looking at a few options but mostly Arts courses. I should have enough points for any of the courses I am looking at but I want to know for sure if I will also have to be judged on an Interview/Application process or will the fact that I have enough points for the course be enough???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Planes

Hello guys and thanks larriane for the tip on mature application. I'm just about to apply through the cao for the mature entry nursing for 2011, could u offer any more tips on the personal statement bit. Just can't get my head around it. I'm a 40yr old single parent of 3 kids, hoping to go back to college this september .

Just a quick reminder to all that the Trinity mature student open evening is on tonight (Thursday 13th January) from half 4 to 7.

Timetable for events on here : http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/content/pdf/Web_flyer_Info%20Evening3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

Just a quick reminder to all that the Trinity mature student open evening is on tonight (Thursday 13th January) from half 4 to 7.

Timetable for events on here : http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/content/pdf/Web_flyer_Info%20Evening3.pdf

nice one. i thought that was next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tropics

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation as myself. I am applying to do science this year as a mature student. I have previously attended college, but I dropped out after first year. I am really worried about what impact this will have on my application this time around. Any info or advice here would be great.

Im sure this question has been asked before, but do you have to send a certified copy of your LC results? All I have is a photocopy would that be ok?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 john almighty

thanks a mill, Larianne - this is excellent !!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

Hey everyone, this is a great thread.. Larianne your advice has been really helpful. I have almost everything filled out in my Psychology application and ready to send off, but just one question...

In the Trinity Mature Student Application Form, the last section is 'Additional Information', I went to the open day presentation and the Mature Student Officer told everyone to make sure they fill out every section, including this one. I just don't really know what to put in it.. any advice?!

Thanks!

voxbot wrote: »
    Hey everyone, this is a great thread.. Larianne your advice has been really helpful. I have almost everything filled out in my Psychology application and ready to send off, but just one question...

In the Trinity Mature Student Application Form, the last section is 'Additional Information', I went to the open day presentation and the Mature Student Officer told everyone to make sure they fill out every section, including this one. I just don't really know what to put in it.. any advice?!

Thanks!

I think I left that page blank as I filled everything else in to capacity!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

I think I left that page blank as I filled everything else in to capacity!!! :pac:

Yeah, I honestly can't think of anything else to put there! Thanks for the advice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Hi Larianne,

Sorry to ask more questions of you. Just doing my personal statement for BA In economics,politics and law at DCU, when describing employment would you go into timeline explanation of your employment or just match your experience to the course and it relevance to the course. I have already reached over 1 page , its 4 paragraphs

I don't know weither I've too much or too little.

Thanks again for your posts.

Hi Larianne,

Sorry to ask more questions of you. Just doing my personal statement for BA In economics,politics and law at DCU, when describing employment would you go into timeline explanation of your employment or just match your experience to the course and it relevance to the course. I have already reached over 1 page , its 4 paragraphs

I don't know weither I've too much or too little.

Thanks again for your posts.

Personally, I matched my experience with the course. Only put down what is relevant to the course. You can pop a CV in with your application if you want.

Oh my PS was 2 pages long! :D But I'd advise you not to waffle in it. Put all the vital information in it.
    • What made you decide to go back to college?
    • Why do you want to do the course?
    • What do you know of the course?
    • What experience do you already have related to the course?
    • What skills/personality traits/attitudes do you have that will help you on the course?
    • Where do you see yourself after the course?
    • etc.

This doesn't have to be pages and pages long but if you get these points across in your PS you will be doing very well.

Always have in your mind that you have to show them how much you want this course and why they should give you the place over someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Hey guys, quick question... I have applied through the CAO this year. Who is it that decides if I get the place? CAO or the guy in charge of the actual course?

d.anthony wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question... I have applied through the CAO this year. Who is it that decides if I get the place? CAO or the guy in charge of the actual course?

The CAO just process your application. If you are applying as a mature student it will usually be the head of the department or a panel of people from the department that will decide on whether to give you a place.

The CAO just process your application. If you are applying as a mature student it will usually be the head of the department or a panel of people from the department that will decide on whether to give you a place.

Thanks, do you think I should e-mail the lecturer outlining why I think I should get a place?

Thanks, do you think I should e-mail the lecturer outlining why I think I should get a place?

No. Do not do that! Leave it to the CAO process and see if you are called for interview. I would only contact the head of department if you have queries about the course and want to get information about what they look for in a mature student applicant. Do not contact them about your application directly!

Hi again, I'm gonna post my application details here and would appreciate any feedback on what I've written. I'm desperate to get into college this year and better myself and I hope I've gotten that point across! (I've left out personal details in case that's not allowed here)
    Course Choices (stored on the CAO computer)

N.B. An application should not be made for any course without first
    consulting the information literature of the institution offering that course.

Level 8 Course Choices:
    None selected.

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. LYxxx Graphic Design
    2. GAxxx Computing in Software Development
    3. SGxxx Computing - Software Development
    4. SGxxx Web Development and Creative Media
    5. GAxxx Business Computing and Digital Media
    6. SGxxx Electronic Engineering
    7. SGxxx Mechanical Engineering
    8. LYxxx Multimedia and Digital Entertainment Technology
    9. SGxxx Computing - Systems and Networking

Qualifications and Assessment Section (stored on the CAO computer)

Secondary Level Schools Attended:
    1. xxx Secondary School, Scotland From 1999 to 2003

Mature Section:

Final secondary level qualifications awarded:
    English - Oral Comm. - Int.1
    Information Technology - Using IT - Int.1
    Mathematics - Critical Thinking - Int. 2
    - Planning Organising - Int. 2
    - Reviewing Ev. - Int 2

Post-secondary level qualifications:
    No details entered

Current Studies:
    No details entered

Non-certificate courses:
    While not strictly a course, I have achieved the Duke of Edinburgh
    bronze award.

Employment:
    Have been working in retail in Ireland and Scotland since 2005.
    2005 Instore xxx
    2006-2008 Supervalu xxx
    2008-2010 Eurospar xxx
    2010-present Asda xxx

Voluntary (Unpaid) Work:
    No details entered

Hobbies or interests:
    My main hobbies are computers and all things technology related. I also
    love spending time with friends and family and sports are a big part of
    my life. I`m currently training for a 10k.

Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application
    and your educational goals & objectives:
    While I always done well at school, a family issue heavily distracted
    me in my final year and as a result my exams didn`t go as expected. I
    have since been working in entry level jobs since. In a way I see it
    as a good thing because although I have worked my way up I know I have
    more potential than working in shops for the rest of my life and would
    like an opportunity to further my career prospects.

Leaving school early has been a huge regret but I feel it`s not too
    late to get a degree and get myself a good job that I enjoy doing. I
    love working with computers and a career in that is appealing to me
    but there is also other areas in which I feel I would excel at and
    look forward to seeing what`s available to me.

For the past few years I have watched with envy as all my friends have
    attended college and university while I paid off my car loan while
    working in a job with no real prospects.

I have my heart set on college and I am excited that I am finally
    getting the chance

Does that sound ok?

Also, when would I hear back if I'm successful? I understand that my first choice would require an interview in April, does everyone get invited to it or is it a selection process?

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi again, I'm gonna post my application details here and would appreciate any feedback on what I've written. I'm desperate to get into college this year and better myself and I hope I've gotten that point across! (I've left out personal details in case that's not allowed here)

Does that sound ok?

Also, when would I hear back if I'm successful? I understand that my first choice would require an interview in April, does everyone get invited to it or is it a selection process?

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

To be honest that sounds okay but not great. You don't really say why you want to do computers or what skills you already have that would help you if you studied the course or where you will go after you complete the course.

The heading is : Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and your educational goals & objectives:

It's all well and good that you say you really want to go back to college but the person assessing your application will want to know why they should give you the place over a high number of other applicants going for the place.

A few posts back I wrote some pointers as to what to include:

* What made you decide to go back to college?
    * Why do you want to do the course?
    * What do you know of the course?
    * What experience do you already have related to the course?
    * What skills/personality traits/attitudes do
    you have that will help you on the course?
    * Where do you see yourself after the course?
    * etc.

Now, I'm not saying you won't get a place on the course with your application but I try to stress on this forum that you need to make your application 100% the best it can be to secure a place at third level. I know this myself as I didn't secure a place the first time I applied.

On hearing back, it really depends on the college/uni. It's usually any time after April.

Not everyone will get called for an interview and not all courses require an interview.

Thanks very much for the advice, I appreciate it. Is it ok to update it now?

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure if you can update your online application. I know you can change your choices up until 1st Feb. Maybe log on and check your application and see if it can be done.

Failing that I would contact the CAO and ask can your application be amended.

Advertisement