Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda procedure with speeding fines

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Got a fixed charge offence in the post today. Not for speeding but for "overtaking on the left".

Is that the name of the offence?

You did undertake by your own admission but i didn't realise it was its own category of offence - i always thought that would be classed under careless or dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

As I said I'm shocked that it was classified as such and need to read the wording of the legislation. But I thought I was following the rules of the road by not remaining in an overtaking lane when I wasn't overtaking. I stayed in the middle lane and did not go back into the far right lane. Obviously if I had that is clearly undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Undertaking permitted in three prescribed cases: 1) You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right. 2) You have signalled that you intend to turn left, 3) Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly but traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the right-hand lane – for example, in slow moving stop/start traffic conditions.

Just found that from a quick Google search. As said, I'll need to check out the legislation if scenario #3 could apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AD333

@Neil3030, I am in the same situation - would you be able to add how this worked out? Its been over a month since i was pulled over and have not yet received the notice. I would like to know where i follow this up rather than waiting for a possible court appearance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Definitely follow up. I can't remember exactly where we called (may have been the local station near where I was pulled over), but eventually got word that the fine had been sent out months before and not arrived. If you don't know the station, try a more central office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 confussed123

Hi,

i got pulled over this morning. Light was amber, alas Garda said red. Took my licence. Went to their car. Came back and said it was red. And walked away. What can I expect? Said nothing about getting a fine or didn’t ask for my name or address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Get a dash cam - one incident/crash which you can correctly dispute and it'll have paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 confussed123

Company car !

Advertisement