Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA on TV and Online!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Nimblescot wrote: »
    Sorry, you referred to another thread about tuning in to channel 5 through sky digital. I'm in Cork, should I be able to get channel 5 through my sky digital setup for NBA games?

Yes have a look at this thread: here

Now they only show 1 live game a week but it's better than nothing, should have all the finals games too, they did last year. I've sent a letter to the NBA fumin about the coverage here...I'll post it up here soon :D Oh and there's slam dunk contest highlights after the game.
    SoundWave wrote: »
    If you have Sky then you can just manually tune in 5 to other channels, as they will be showing the all star game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sattelite Forum
    To add channels to your "Other Channels" option, do the following -

With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).

Select number 4 (System Setup), and then 4 again ("Add Channels").

In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).

10773 H
    FEC 5/6
    SR 22000

ID Five

WARNING the following contains a rant: :D
    This is my letter I sent by e-mail and post to the NBA about the crappy tv situation.

"19th February 2009

The National Basketball Association
    645 Fifth Ave
    New York, NY 10022
    U.S.A.
    Attn: Fan Relations

Re: International television availability

To Whom It May Concern:

Would you like my money? Silly question? Apparently not. It would seem that you don’t. I live in Ireland and the fact that there is no NBA coverage here is a disgrace. I hear and see all this hype about how the league is expanding and is increasingly globally focused yet the fundamental television coverage here is non existent.

I along with many of my other friends constantly talk about this issue. We would gladly pay to watch games on television but we just don’t have the option. ‘NBA TV’ should be broadcast over here on satellite. Failing that at the minimum a deal should be done with one of the networks to allow coverage as we don’t even get any coverage at all. No games.

A side issue and although I am glad ‘International League Pass Broadband’ has become recently available, the quality of the streaming is so poor that it is not a viable option for me or for many other people posting on various forums, etc.

The fact is I live in the Republic of Ireland, a modern developed country in Europe and cannot watch a single game on my television is an absolute disgrace. There is no excuse for this other than apathy. I am furious. This situation brings shame on the league.

Yours sincerely"

I did get a response by e-mail which I'll post up later but at the moment I'm waiting to see if I hear anything else from my letter. Hopefully something will come of it and I would urge anyone else fed up with no games to watch to do the same. The postal address is above or you can drop them a line here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

^^^ That is by far the greatest Basketball related post I've seen on any forum the last few months. Hope you didn't get a standard cut and paste response:)

No response from my hard copy, just an e-mail after I sent sent it via their web site.
    A bit of a 'ith' reply. They'd need to do better to instill some confidence for me although ultimately I won't be happy till we have quality games available on the box.
    Again anyone remotely interested should drop them a line (esp. seen as it's Paddy's Day! :p) and they may get their finger out!

Dear "jimmay",

Thank you for your interest in the National Basketball Association. It is true that we are working hard to continually grow and develop them game of basketball globally. In the last few years, the NBA has made a concerted effort to bring a great many international countries quality NBA action on television. While we have yet to set up a television deal in Ireland, you can be sure that it is a priority of ours. Until that time, you can watch NBA games online at http://ilp.nba.com/ if you are interested.

Thank you so much for your support of the NBA.

Sincerely,

NBA Fan Relations

On a plus side: Animal game tonight between Cavs and Magic on five, and this is available on Sky now. I can't wait, I love them both, I feel like a dork because I want a good game haha!

Just saw a post on the NFLUK forums that perfectly sums up the state of Basketball TV Coverage here
    Let's watch game 7....oh.......we can't!

That's right, tonight its game 7 of quite possibly the greatest Round 1 series in NBA history, and here in the UK we can't watch it. Now I know that some of you may be thinking that the fact I’m an Englishman living in England means that my ability to watch games like this is somewhat restricted. Some of you may even say why the hell do I care about the NBA anyway (I’d suggest you may have clicked on the wrong link if your thinking that), or maybe that its only Round 1 and we'll get to watch every game live from the NBA Finals.

But that not the point!

I’m willing to admit that because of my location we have to accept that some games just won’t be shown here, that we may miss out of some classic games, but surely not a whole series, surely not a game as big as this!!!!!

This series between the Chicago Bulls and the Boston Celtics has been amazing. An over-used word maybe, but one that can without doubt be used to describe what these two teams have served up so far. 6 games. 5 decided by the final play of the game. 4 of those went to overtime. Rondo, Rose, Allen (Ray obviously - I’m sorry I even have to point this out), Gordon, controversy, poor refereeing (standard for the NBA I know) and now a deciding game, winner takes all, well maybe not all but certainly a place in Round 2.

Or it is all? Does anyone out there believe either of these teams can go much further in these playoffs? When it was announced Garnett would likely miss the playoffs, everyone (and I include the rest of the Celtics) knew this put a death-nail in any hopes they had of repeating their 2008 Championship. The Bulls are a young team, quickly developing into one with character, style, and possibly a few real NBA Finals of their own in the near future.....but not this year, not against this LeBron led Cavaliers or Kobe's Lakers.

So what’s left, you can bet that these Celtics want to win this game just as much as they wanted Game 6 against the Lakers last year, and you think for one minute these Bulls won't leave every last inch of blood, sweat and tears out on that TD Banknorth Garden court tonight?!

But instead of sitting down and watching the end of this outstanding series, we'll have to content ourselves with either trawling through the Internet to find an online feed providing us with jerky, blurred pictures or give it up as a bad job and check the score when we wake up. The last one a particularly un-appealing idea because of what you miss out on. Even if you follow the game on the ESPN gamecast, at least you can get a sense of the drama and excitement when there's 2 seconds left and you’re waiting to find out if Ray Allen made the shot. Checking the score the next day you don’t even get that.

It shouldn’t be any surprise that the NBA don’t really care about this issue (after all this isn’t the first season where we've had 1 televised game per week), remember this is the league that allowed the city of Seattle to lose their beloved Sonics.

What makes this issue worse, is that we can’t even say the NBA aren't interested in building a large fanbase in the UK, they go to the trouble of bringing 2 teams across the Atlantic for a pre-season exhibition game, and provide us with far more NBA merchandise in this country than even the NFL does.

The reason they play the exhibition game, the reason the NFL plays regular season games over here, the reason we get a choice of at least 6 live NFL games each week is because these major American sports leagues know how in important it is to take advantage of the sports loving people of the UK and Europe....it’s one of the key objectives for them to tap into this market....you don’t have to have a business degree to see the advantages of being able to do this.

So they go to all that trouble and then they give us 1 televised (I say televised because they aren't even always live) game per week. 1 game. 1 lousy game! Added to that they don’t even give us the best game of the week, it’s not even the 45th best game of the week, they'll give us Sacramento @ Milwaukee - games even the fans of those teams aren’t interested in!!!!!!!

Does the whole blame lie with the NBA? YES. YES. YES. Sure you can say the television companies could do more, but the responsibility to get the product out to the fans lies with the NBA. Maybe they weren't happy with the money on offer but 1 televised game a week is going to lose you a lot of fans....and fast, and all the money that those fans are going to spend on your product.

So tonight we won't be watching game 7, but let's hope that the next time a series like this happens, the sort of series that when you get older you can tell your grandkids that you watched it all unfold, we'll be able to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

o man...well said strahan.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Yesterday on Setanta Sports 1 they showed game 4 in the Toronto Vs Lakers play off. Anyone see this.
    I checked listings for future games but none were available.

Wow that was a great letter there, thanks Sea Devils. It's reassuring that other people feel the same way I do! That poster had many good points, mainly the sheer loss of income for the NBA from not providing games here...I mean the more I think about it, the harder it is to understand, why they haven't sorted this problem out!? We may think ok it's only Ireland,(4 million people) but it's the exact same situation in the entire UK (60 mil+)! Shocking really.

Anywho for the moment we have Setanta to tide us over so in relation to that, I too have had a quick flick through the TV guide and haven't found the next game...does anyone know what or when it is on?

Also there is a show on ESPN America (part of Setanta package, I think Sky ch 417) after the NBA fastbreak show called "Around the horn" :D, it's ok it's a family show, that has some NBA coverage/discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Is the quality still crap with the NBA league pass online streaming? Considering plumping for the playoff package, if only to see the 2 game 7's. Has the performance improved at all? Is the HD package any better or worse?

I see Setanta have sporadically starting showing some games. Nothing mentioned on the tv listings but hoping they might show the Celtics/Magic game.

• Advertisement

Is the quality still crap with the NBA league pass online streaming? Considering plumping for the playoff package, if only to see the 2 game 7's. Has the performance improved at all? Is the HD package any better or worse?

I see Setanta have sporadically starting showing some games. Nothing mentioned on the tv listings but hoping they might show the Celtics/Magic game.

It had been poor for me although I haven't tried it in a few months. Theres no doubt when it's smooth the quality of the picture is second to none however from my experience and from what I've heard it's as rough as a badgers arse (I made that up, not sure of the saying :D) but I think you can still go for the day pass and if you do I'd be interested to know how you get on...

Looks like Setanta have Lakers/Rockets game 7 tomorrow at 8:30. I'm a east coast boy and I'd prefer the Magic/Celts game myself but looks like I'll be scrawlin online for a decent stream :rolleyes:

jimmay wrote: »
    It had been poor for me although I haven't tried it in a few months. Theres no doubt when it's smooth the quality of the picture is second to none however from my experience and from what I've heard it's as rough as a badgers arse (I made that up, not sure of the saying :D) but I think you can still go for the day pass and if you do I'd be interested to know how you get on...

Looks like Setanta have Lakers/Rockets game 7 tomorrow at 8:30. I'm a east coast boy and I'd prefer the Magic/Celts game myself but looks like I'll be scrawlin online for a decent stream :rolleyes:

Thanks, yeah I just checked Setanta's listings and saw they are showing the Lakers/Rockets game live. Will definitely watch that. That's some progress at least. Hope they start showing more games.

If they still do the day pass (didn't see it anywhere tho) I might try it out and see how it works. If I do, I'll report back.

I wish Setanta Sports a would show both games. Just looking at the listings they have SPL highlights and Marseille V Lyon highlights hardly both programmes that would draw a worthwile audience at that hour. So in theory they could show another Basketball game at this hour?

Yes the coverage isn't really great although any coverage is an improvement. I've been watching the NBA fastbreak show which is good, nice to see a bit of insider chat and commentary, gives a bit more of a feel to it. I really miss watching it on tv in the states.

I don't like the way on Setanta the games at like half time and timeouts and stuff just sit watching the court, they maybe don't have the rights to broadcast the breaks but it's stupid not being able to watch the clips yet you can listen to the commentators. If for the finals its between that coverage or watching it on Five (both are showing every game) I'd give it to five - only problem being as it's a manual channel on Sky, you can't pause or record it.

Sticktv.net another option for tonights game but I'll be looking around for best quality

http://veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=4a08b01fc26d0

Working fine for me atm *touch wood*

Better quality picture you got there, but I can't get it to stop buffering :mad:

I'm on http://www.atdhe.net/
    pretty reliable site, the resolution isn't as good but it's smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

hi all if anyone who like me has no decent tv coverage of the nba and would like to know where to download most regular season and all playoffs games just pm me..

before you do though the games are all taken from local tv in the states.. hence they are not legal as like the league pass.. most of the games are of hdtv quality and very safe to download..

I got the NBA league pass thingy last night for the playoffs and watched the Magic/Celtics game on it last night. I went for the HD version and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Except for a bit of buffering at the beginning of the 2nd half (missed about the first 2 mins of 3rd quarter), it was smooth as silk throughout with no buffering or pixelating whatsoever. It was also cool to get the full TNT coverage with the halftime show etc. Was very impressed with the image quality and frame rate - was very easy to watch and wouldn't get much better watching it on a TV. Glad I paid the $39.95 for it and I'll be quite happy once the performance I had last night continues for the rest of the playoffs and finals. Btw, I'm just on the regular eircom bb using a wireless connection to my laptop in case anyone is wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ! Hitman

wow, i wish i was there ..

Wow its great watching the game on TV live such quality...so sick of them lame streaming sites!

LOL @ Superman breaking the scoreboard Wow what a dunk!!! :D

• Advertisement

Whopper game on Setanta tonight...Game 3 of ECF

It's so exciting watching Lebron....ooooh what will he do next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tim131

Damn I really wish Setanta Ireland was free on sky! It's stupid its free on NTL and Chorus!

Anyways, does anyone know any decent streams for tonights game? I'm sick of the **** quality of justin.tv and myp2p, so if anybody knows any, could you let me know?

Cheers

Looks lke,

Game 4 Magic v Cavs Tue night/Wed morn live on channel 5

Game 5 Nuggets v Lakers Wed night/Thurs morn on Setanta

Are Five still showing the Finals live? (I don't have Setanta) so it's my only hope of properly watching it live.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Are Five still showing the Finals live? (I don't have Setanta) so it's my only hope of properly watching it live.

Yes starts June 4th thurs night/fri morn

This isn't really related to Basketball but ESPN America was added to the news and Events Pack on Sky which means no stand alone subscription. Not sure what the heck it means for subscribers of other digital TV platforms but here's hoping they now get NBA rights:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well Setanta only did a deal for the finals! If ESPN America had wanted to have ot all year they could have...it'll be interesting though to see what happens next year i.e. who is actually interested in the rights!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well Setanta only did a deal for the finals! If ESPN America had wanted to have ot all year they could have...it'll be interesting though to see what happens next year i.e. who is actually interested in the rights!

Sorry to be pedantic but Setanta started showing the Playoffs during the second round. First game showed was the Lakers-Rockets game 7

Even if some of the games was shown on ESPN Classic which in term would be ESPN America xtra (just in case other sports clashed) that would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Uh that really is being pedantic!!! Surely for someone who was aware of that it wass obviou I meant playoffs by finals!!!

Really doubt it'll be shown on classic! If anything I'd say there is going to be a new ESPN channel since they won the rights to Premiership games....can't see them showing it on ESPN America!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Really doubt it'll be shown on classic! If anything I'd say there is going to be a new ESPN channel since they won the rights to Premiership games....can't see them showing it on ESPN America!

There will be a new ESPN Channel I have no doubt about that but the quanitity of the channels, pricing etc still have to be figured out.

I only mentioned Classic because in case there were scheduling problems what would happen then?.

Advertisement