Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

D'oh! wrote:
    And as far as having your bike restricted there is now bloody piont, for them to verify the hp they have to run a dyno from the crank and there isnt a dyno for doing this in the country! And besides the insurance company wont ask you anything about it, they never have anyway. So if you can afford the rip off rates ride what ever you can!!

True the insurers wont ask but who wants to take the risk of losing cover? The law here is a bit vague, it has never been established what the weight means, dry, kerb, or with rider, but the bhp is understood to be at the rear wheel, this can be checked on any number of dynos in shops around the country. (When the insurers are grouping bikes they use manufacturers stats)

Also about paying insurance in installments Aon Bikecare do a scheme where you pay 30% up front and 5 monthly installments by direct debit. Ask your local friendly bike dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

is vrt calculated on bikes the same way as on cars if i was to bring one in from england????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

VRT on bikes is calculated on the cc of the bike. It is €2 per cc up to 350cc and €1 per cc after that. There is a discount schedule of between 10% and 100% according to the year of the bike.

If you have been domicile in the UK it can be registered vrt free if youve owned the bike in the uk check with the vro.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ninja_Duck

With regard to what a_ominous mentioned at the start of this thread about most "independent" trainers not having their own school bikes due to insurance costs....

I know of one school that does, that's the Motocycle Safety Association. http://www.msa-ireland.com They are based in Dublin and I found them to be excellent. I didn't have my own bike at the time.

a_ominous wrote:
    Lessons
    There are various places to learn to ride a bike. Irish School of Motoring (ISM) will provide bikes. As will the Star Rider courses run by Fingal and I believe South Dublin Co Council. These are not year round courses though. And there is a long waiting list for school bikes. Most independent trainers (Irish Rider Training Association IRTA) do not have bikes due to prohibitive insurance costs. This may change with driver instructor certification due in 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

About the restriction. I was seriously worried about this so I bought a 250cc hornet... Well it turns out its 40 bhp, so Im over the limit anyway! Unless you want to drive an absolute donkey of a bike, you are going to run into this problem.

Anyway, I was curious, so I asked a bunch of very experienced bikers had they heard of anyone getting into trouble or having a claim rejected? Answer... no. If you think about it its pretty hard to prove... "Go ahead, put the mangled heap formerly known as my bike on the dyno...*clunk*... Whats that? 0 hp? Well there you go, Its *very* restricted."

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

The restrictor is a physical component of the engine that they can actually look for so unless you manage to completely obliterate the engine they can check.

It might not happen everytime someone claims but they can. I wouldn't worry about it on the 250 Hornet as it's only a little over the 33 (is it actually restricted?) but my Bandit is 33Bhp restricted and 85 unrestricted so there is a big differrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

I have an ongoing problem with cables snapping, probably because my bike isn't garaged and because I'm too lazy to oil them as often as I should.

Does anyone -- motorcycle or bicycle trade -- in the Dublin area repair inner cables? Usually just a matter of fitting a new nipple. I have to order these online from England and it's becoming a needlessly expensive business!

PS: why not have a dedicated motorcycle thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ninja_Duck

Hi,

With regard to what a_ominous mentioned at the start of this thread about most "independent" trainers not having their own school bikes due to insurance costs....

I know of one school in Ireland that does rider training and has its own school bikes and that's the Motocycle Safety Association. They are based in Dublin and I found them to be excellent. I didn't have my own bike at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Johnos,
    I had same cable Problem on my bike, After going through about 5 cables (one drive from kinnegad to galway with none) it was reccomended to me to slacken the cable a bit, using the adjuster on the cutch handle, it feels a bit sloppy but I have the same cable for 2 years now. 10000m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

bbbaldy wrote:
    Johnos,
    I had same cable Problem on my bike, After going through about 5 cables (one drive from kinnegad to galway with none) it was reccomended to me to slacken the cable a bit, using the adjuster on the cutch handle, it feels a bit sloppy but I have the same cable for 2 years now. 10000m.
    Thanks B -- I think this is just a design problem. The throttle cable is much thinner than standard. I've bought a beefier one, but it wouldn't run smoothly around the throttle grip mechanism. I've adapted to this by always having a spare in the sidepanel.
    But I now have a fine collection of cable outers with knackered inner cables: i just wish I could get them mended rather than having to get the whole thing each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

I believe that the easy rider training course will loan you a cb250 for the course and ( I'm about 99% sure on this ) He'll rent you the bike to do your full A test if you do the test prep course. Handy enough if you only have a 125.

So is there anything unexpected in the test, from what I know it's just a few turns an upright small circle, driving really slowly but I only got a vague description from someone I hardly knew.

Is it easy to fail/hard to pass, is there anywhere I can get a full rundown of the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I did the test there last year and to be honest it was a piece of p*ss. Did it in Finglas and it was drive through this estate (which was a square) one way, so all right turns, then the other way, so all left turns.
    The semi hill start, drive slow (which is a brisk walking pace) and the turn about, which i actually put my foot down on.
    It was my second time doing the test (first time on a moped so failed from the start). First time i didnt use my mirrors a lot or have good observation turning left. so second time around i made everything really obvious! Make sure he could see me looking in the mirrors (ie move your head a lot) also looked everywhere, especially over my shoulder, when taking off. Idicate around parked cars and overtaking cyclists and stick to the speed limit (that was hard for me). If you know the area drive around it a bit just before and see what hazards are about. Know your enemy :mad: !!!
    check out
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html
    Some stuff there
    Good luck

Well you may have found it a piece of piss but in that case there must be a lot of muppets taking the tests seeing as there's an average test pass rate is 54.5%. I'll just do a course and hope for the best. Can't wait till those insurance rates go down so I can move on to something bigger.

Insurance rates going down? when is this happening? My insurance is dropping 600 quid this year but have aged a year so dont know how much of a difference that made. Now im only on a 125 but they (carole nash) quoted me (23) 1200 TP on a bandit 400 restricted but still that a powerful bike and a good price.

Don't have a clue what's going on there, I'm on a 125 dragstar at the moment and I got a quote on a ducati 400 monster for 1200 at 21 with a full licence and 2 years cf, that's aon, try a quote on www.hiberniandirect.ie and see if it's any different for you, have you done a rider training course? what group is the bandit in? the monster is a group 5

Might have something to do with the fact i only have a full A1 licence. My bike wasnt big enough for the A licence. I tried hibernian online quote and they would quote on anything of a decent size. 21 on a monster? Very nice!!! Think the bandit is about the same class. Whats the craic with the training course? Does it affect your quote much?

Well when I was talking to the guys at ducati dublin they said that a completed rider training course would give me 30% off, pretty good in my opinion, this is a thing on the hibernian site i found interesting.

http://hibernian.netsource.ie/broker_secure/docs/Abridged%20Govt%20Submission.doc

Any thoughts?

30% . For a one day course? I think its pretty good. Buts how hard is it to pass. It was saying that even people with 10 years experience where struggling. Some other shocking figures there. The pillion claims even though they are not suppose to be on the bike :eek: !? I was doing that for years. Do you have to be with Hibernian to take the course. I would gladly take it (maybe wait till summer though)

• Advertisement

Well if hibernian are doing that then Carole Nash would have to do it to still give competitive quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Did he say which rider training course? As there a a number of different courses in operation that has different standards and curricula?

I have heard before that passing the Rsopa training will get you 20% discount, and I know AON will be pussing this point this year, sending out letters with the contact details of the relevant training bodies.

No he didn't say which one but a phonecall would sort out that problem. I'd hope that all qualified instructors would be able to give the same level of training and in turn make you able to recieve the same discount. But I suppose that's wishful thinking.
    I'll call and see what the story is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

what's the best chain lube?? I have this spray stuff but I think it's a bit crap - would I be better off with grease?

The spray should be fine but when you drive in the rain it's like spraying your chain with a power hose so you have to re-apply it often, also, don't be under the illusion that more is better, the excess will spray off and leave a coat all over your back tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

so should the chain look all wet and sticky or dryish?

it should feel sticky and a bit wet

Found this link recently http://www.msa-ireland.com/

Provide training around the country, not just Dublin. They have their own bikes for instruction. Don't know anything about them. Their news section does have some links to bike articles by John Wheeler in Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

a_ominous wrote:
    Found this link recently http://www.msa-ireland.com/

Provide training around the country, not just Dublin. They have their own bikes for instruction. Don't know anything about them. Their news section does have some links to bike articles by John Wheeler in Irish Times.
    Very nice site, loads of info. Pity I didn't know about them a while ago. Just had to book a bike for the test with ISM, €250. Ouch. :(

• Advertisement

Another group offering bike training, with school bikes
    Motorcycle Rider Training Group

Advertisement