Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Night Cougher

Options
  • 22-10-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

There's a neighbour of mine living in one of the houses behind my own one. Every single night he's out in the back coughing his lungs up, I mean really choking and hockling. It sounds revolting. I'm tempted to shout something to him to tell him to stop being so vile. Another part of me just wants to call around to his place and tell him that this can't carry on and that he needs to get himself checked out in a hospital asap.

I'm just wondering what I should do because the coughing and spluttering is starting to really gross me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Throw a packet of Halls Soothers at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Quick blast of piss

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Headphones with some nice Slayer will drown him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

razorblunt wrote: »
    Through a packet of Halls Soothers at him.

Or better still, throw a 20 pack of 'Major' at him, that should finish him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There's a neighbour of mine living in one of the houses behind my own one. Every single night he's out in the back coughing his lungs up, I mean really choking and hockling. It sounds revolting. I'm tempted to shout something to him to tell him to stop being so vile. Another part of me just wants to call around to his place and tell him that this can't carry on and that he needs to get himself checked out in a hospital asap.

I'm just wondering what I should do because the coughing and spluttering is starting to really gross me out.

OP , you need to raise your game with your neighbour.

I would recommend playing the banjo music from the film "Deliverance " for maybe an hour first when you hear him cough.
    Stop the music suddenly, make a load of grunting and shuffling sounds for maybe ten minutes and then , finally , as loud as you can , squeal like a pig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

What a prick for being sick and not coughing all over the people in his house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

biko wrote: »
    Headphones with some nice Slayer will drown him out.

Or add some harmony :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ride his wife

That'll soften his cough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

COVID wrote: »

Or woodbines aka coffin nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Send him an ambulance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Setup an outdoor speaker and when he starts coughing turn on the The Purge alarm.

Cough back, but like an echo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I though the title said "The Night Cougar"

Disappointed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

COVID wrote: »

From the sound of him I think he's already a 60 Major a day man

He's at it again at the moment, hockling and spluttering :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe he's had plenty of medical advice/diagnosis and there's fcuk all can be done about it.

I'm sure it bothers him a lot more than it bothers the OP.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe he's had plenty of medical advice/diagnosis and there's fcuk all can be done about it.

I'm sure it bothers him a lot more than it bothers the OP.

I was thinking that though. Maybe the poor guy has terminal lung cancer and can't help it. In that case I totally empathize with him.
    On the other hand though he could just be an ignorant smoker who doesn't care how gross or indiscreet he's being. I lived with someone like that in a house share and he was a nightmare, a really nasty pig of a man who left filthy butts outside the front door and coughed his lungs up every night.

I just wonder should I approach him and let him be aware of the way he is or would I possibly be inviting trouble on myself by doing so, especially if he's a rough sort.

I just wonder should I approach him and let him be aware of the way he is or would I possibly be inviting trouble on myself by doing so, especially if he's a rough sort.

People love it when they’re confronted by strangers about personal matters they’re engaging in on their own property. Go on, call around to him now and ask him what’s going on with his cough. You certainly won’t be seen as the weird neighbour who should mind their own business.

Let us know how grateful he was for the call, people need uplifting stories in these difficult times.

People love it when they’re confronted by strangers about personal matters they’re engaging in on their own property. Go on, call around to him now and ask him what’s going on with his cough. You certainly won’t be seen as the weird neighbour who should mind their own business.

Let us know how grateful he was for the call.

So basically I and my other neighbours should just tolerate listening to his gutteral coughing every night and mind our own business? His health issues may well be nobody else's business but when I hear someone doing this every night out in the back yard for all and sundry to listen to I can't help but to think to myself that this person either needs help or needs to be more considerate. It's not being weird.

Kidnap is the only way....

Sounds like a title of a Stephen King short story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭I see sheep

You're being a drama queen in fairness, he has a smoker's cough, a lot of people have it. There's no mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Kidnap is the only way....

Who, the OP or the cougher ?

So basically I and my other neighbours should just tolerate listening to his gutteral coughing every night and mind our own business? His health issues may well be nobody else's business but when I hear someone doing this every night out in the back yard for all and sundry to listen to I can't help but to think to myself that this person either needs help or needs to be more considerate. It's not being weird.

Then there’s obviously no problem with calling around to him right now and asking him what’s going on.

Who, the OP or the cougher ?

Oh that's a tough one actually can I just say burn em, burn em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

He's hardly hacking a lung up just to p1ss of the neighbours. His desire to not cough is greater than anyone else's.

Maybe he could be a bit more discreet but depending on his circumstances, being discreet may be the last thing on his mind.

Its the damp night air that's causing it sure. Get him a scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

He's probably going outside in the first place to avoid his family/housemates having to witness it, poor man what more can he do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ear plugs for the time you know he will be out there. Please.

Move house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

ignore him. he's not got long left anyway. the next sound you won't hear will be the hiss of his oxygen rig...

Advertisement