Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant can't pay rent due to Covid

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Props to the OP, he has taken a very compassionate view of the situation. It's a rough situation for everyone involved. I definitely wouldn't let it go on until 2021 though. Keep doing what you're doing for the rest of the year, while making preparations to have him evicted asap.

You can carry forward your losses and use them against your tax bill down the line, so you won't be out of pocket.

While I understand you can carry losses, I don't understand how you can carry reduction in income ? If he looses all rent for 2020 all he can carry is his allowable expenses for 2020 so he will be still down a good bit or is there a provision in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Zascar wrote: »
    The laws are pretty strict on this at the moment, you can't evict someone - and certainly not for the next 6 weeks during lockdown. I'm sure there are loads of people in a similar situation.

The other thing is if I evict him, there's my money down the drain. I'd rather give him the chance to catch up when back working.

I doubt you will find too many who were ever owed the sums involved here, who ever got paid back.
    You are just letting a bad situation get worse due to hope.
    If you think about it objectively, what do you think the chances of getting all that money back are? If you think you wont, then you know whether to allow the debt to build up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thanks all, the agent has already issued a written notice of arrears and is in regular contact.
    I've asked the tenant re HAP and rent allowance so let's see what they come back with.

How much is the agent taking while you are getting no rent?
    Or are they saving a nice bill for you at the end?
    Thats another one to deal with now rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Has anyone here heard of covid rent supplement. It’s extremely generous and for people whose income was directly affected by covid.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Quick update - he did pay one months rent just now but says he is down to 2 days work and will struggle to pay until it gets back to normal which clearly won't be soon. The agent has issued him a termination notice. I keep sending them all the links posted here but doesn't seem like they are having any luck.

I don't want to throw this guy out but I can't substitute his rent. Also, he owes me about 3k at this stage, do I simply have to kiss goodbye to this or is there any recourse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think you will, as there's no real recourse for landlords in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭rightmove

Quick update - he did pay one months rent just now but says he is down to 2 days work and will struggle to pay until it gets back to normal which clearly won't be soon. The agent has issued him a termination notice. I keep sending them all the links posted here but doesn't seem like they are having any luck.

I don't want to throw this guy out but I can't substitute his rent. Also, he owes me about 3k at this stage, do I simply have to kiss goodbye to this or is there any recourse?

same as that before covid - I just sucked it up :(

and left the game I was in by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What does he do for a living?

I think youve missed the boat and I think your stuck with him with the eviction ban being extended. Have you spoken to your mortgage provider?

You wont be able to sell with a tenant in situ, you cant evict him either. You wont get the arrears back. Well its highly unlikely you will get the arrears.

Are you renting yourself? Could you move back into this property yourself and at least not being paying rent yourself? Im not even sure that would be allowed. Just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You will never see this money or the rent for the next year. Cut your losses as soon as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hard not to discriminate against certain professions after this experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hard not to discriminate against certain professions after this experience.

? What does that mean?

You will never see this money or the rent for the next year. Cut your losses as soon as you can

You still have to give the full notice once the ban is lifted. Thus far there hasn't been a length of time long enough without a ban to serve and complete a notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

beauf wrote: »
    ? What does that mean?

Meaning you're going to want a tenant with a more secure profession. Thereful being more selective. Risk reduction. The landlord isn't getting protection elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

beauf wrote: »
    You still have to give the full notice once the ban is lifted. Thus far there hasn't been a length of time long enough without a ban to serve and complete a notice.

Can she not give the tenant notice now. Just comes enforceable once the forced landlord support of non paying tenants is lifted?

jon1981 wrote: »
    Meaning you're going to want a tenant with a more secure profession. Thereful being more selective. Risk reduction. The landlord isn't getting protection elsewhere.

I've seen Professionals, at all levels wreck a rental. But I guess there's no sure thing, and its just about reducing risk.
    Can she not give the tenant notice now. Just comes enforceable once the forced landlord support of non paying tenants is lifted?

I think the clock stops during the ban. It only starts once the ban is lifted. I could be wrong, but that was my interpretation of it. I've not seen any example of how its working in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dc2014

Hi all

I have a house rented and a tenant in four months and missed one months rent. The second month and say they would start to repay the missed rent at month four and has not happened. Just worry they will stop paying rent. What can I do thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

dc2014 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a house rented and a tenant in four months and missed one months rent. The second month and say they would start to repay the missed rent at month four and has not happened. Just worry they will stop paying rent. What can I do thanks

Have you issued a notice of arrears? https://www.rtb.ie/emergency-measures-ended-new-protections-introduced-for-the-rental-sector/dealing-with-rent-arrears-after-the-emergency-period

Advertisement