Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shelly Dimmer 2 Wiring

Options
  • 22-10-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Decided to give a few Shelly devices a shot to cover some gaps in my light setup at home. I bought a couple of Shelly 1 and Shelly Dimmer 2 switches. Shelly 1 works perfectly straight out of the box, but I'm having some difficulty with the Dimmer.

I have neutrals at my light switch and can get it to work with and without Neutral, but I cannot get the light switch to interact with the switch itself. One thing I cannot quite understand is the two switch inputs on the wiring diagram.

ShellyD2_neutral_wiring.jpg

I got it to work with my lights with,and without the switch wires connected, but in both arrangements, the lights would flicker, sometimes the device would become unresponsive and definitely the switch would not work.

I did however get the switch to work in one arrangement, turned it off at the RCBO and when I had it all in the wall, screwed up and turned the power back on the switch would not work again. Went through factory reset and repeated the setup etc... to no avail and gave up.

In relation to the flicker, I think it could be the bulbs. They are supposed to be dimmable, but cannot be fully sure. I swapped the Dimmer for the Shelly 1 on that particular light and have the switch and Shelly working perfectly - it was very easy.

I'm going to wire up a bulb and bayonet to a switch to try and test it outside of the confines of a wall plate, but if anyone could explain why there are two switch slots on the device (SW1 and SW2) this would help me a lot. There is only one on the Shelly 1, so this is where I am confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Decided to give a few Shelly devices a shot to cover some gaps in my light setup at home. I bought a couple of Shelly 1 and Shelly Dimmer 2 switches. Shelly 1 works perfectly straight out of the box, but I'm having some difficulty with the Dimmer.

I have neutrals at my light switch and can get it to work with and without Neutral, but I cannot get the light switch to interact with the switch itself. One thing I cannot quite understand is the two switch inputs on the wiring diagram.

ShellyD2_neutral_wiring.jpg

I got it to work with my lights with,and without the switch wires connected, but in both arrangements, the lights would flicker, sometimes the device would become unresponsive and definitely the switch would not work.

I did however get the switch to work in one arrangement, turned it off at the RCBO and when I had it all in the wall, screwed up and turned the power back on the switch would not work again. Went through factory reset and repeated the setup etc... to no avail and gave up.

In relation to the flicker, I think it could be the bulbs. They are supposed to be dimmable, but cannot be fully sure. I swapped the Dimmer for the Shelly 1 on that particular light and have the switch and Shelly working perfectly - it was very easy.

I'm going to wire up a bulb and bayonet to a switch to try and test it outside of the confines of a wall plate, but if anyone could explain why there are two switch slots on the device (SW1 and SW2) this would help me a lot. There is only one on the Shelly 1, so this is where I am confused.

Figured it out, or at least I got it working. My logic might not be spot on. I think the 2 switch inputs are for 2-way switching. I connected one of the lives to SW2 and switched live to SW1 and it works fine. In case someone has a similar question.

Advertisement