Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

As expected Nakagami has signed for Honda on a 'multi-year' deal.

Apparently Dovi is passing out his CV looking for a test rider job. Surely, if he wants to stay in MotoGP, he'll accept the seat on offer at Aprilia when it inevitably comes?

Speaking if which... the verdict on Iannone's appeal (and WADA's) is not now expected until mid-November. It was expected within the week but the fact that WADA are counter-appealing has meant it will take longer. Iannone offered no physical evidence in the appeal or the original hearing, not even a food intake diary which most athletes prone to random testing would keep. His defence has repeatedly said that the FIM and judge have accepted that it was an accidental contamination but they've never stated this. Incidentally, the drug he tested positive for is Drostanolone. It's a very expensive drug that's almost unheard of in meat contamination. It's used to aid weight loss. Coincidentally, Iannone had been bragging that he'd lost 7KG around the same time. It carries an automatic 4 year ban so I don't know why he was only given an 18 month ban? This is what WADA are appealing, they want 4 years.

I read last week that Crutchlow is already contracted to Aprilia somehow. They have some kind of 'first dibs' agreement whereby he can't go anywhere else unless they sign someone else. Can't find where I read it though.

Alex Marquez FTW this weekend!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The ever improving Jake Dixon has resigned with Petronas (Moto 2) ,McPhee confirmed at Petronas (Moto 3) earlier in the week.

Aprilla can't afford Dovi and Dovi has no interest in running at the back of the grid.

If Dovi wants to continue Dorna will find an opening imho - Cal clear favourite for Aprilla ride which enters as a factory team in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

Alex Marquez half a second faster than than everyone else after FP1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Scotty # wrote: »
    Alex Marquez half a second faster than than everyone else after FP1!!

Nakagami 2nd and Bradl 4th. I haven't seen the practice this morning but Honda definitely seem to have found something.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Nice gesture by Keith Huewen to mention Marco Simoncellis anniversary today - 9 years ago ,hard to believe.

Listening to Cal and Naka after FP2 has me thinking that Naka is a contender for the win this weekend and he (Naka) sees himself with an outside chance of the championship.

Ducatis are no where after FP2 4th best bike last week to worst this week.

Michelin have commented on Fabios tyre issues last weekend - Petronas set the pressures too high - they had to guess as Fabio had not run the tyre (medium front) all weekend.

Well that was an interesting quali :

Naka San has done part one of the job , disaster for Mir and the factory Ducatis. Zarco on his GP19 on the second row - go figure.

Fernández maintaining his dominance in Moto 3 while Lowe setting a new Moto 2 lap record on his way to pole.

Fisty cuffs between Martin and an erratic Bezzachi - looking good for Sam.

Bradl has told Servus TV that he is on the Honda for the rest of the season.

Cracker of a Moto 3 race - what a last lap !

Dorna have confirmed that Valencia and Portimao will go ahead - there were concerns as restrictions increase in Spain and Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Agh disaster for Nakagami...

• Advertisement

A lot of head scratching by teams and riders after that Moto GP race.

Tyres keep being mentioned but the variances in performance must be more than tyres

Delighted Sam has turned things around. I always liked the Lowes twins.

Spoiler alert:

Binder has been hit with a long lap penalty after taking Miller out at the start of the race.
    Cal has suffered some kind of shoulder injury and is getting a MRI done tomorrow, Cals words 'I felt something snap '

Frankies reaction after the race was very telling 'It's On" ie the championship. For a rider with 3 DNF'S including an engine failure to be now only 25 points behind is mind boggling.

What a turn around from last week ! The input of Mavericks reject ,Senor Forcado , cannot be underestimated.

There are 6 in the running for the championship with 3 races to go but in reality Dovis challenge is over with Ducatis dislike of Valencia.
    Consistency and Momentum was always going to be key to this championship which is why Rins cannot be ruled out, Frankies older Yamaha should still work well at Valencia and Portimao sounds like a Yamaha / Suzuki circuit.

Fabio had another poor race with Maverick only one place ahead. It feels like the championship has got to them.

Mir on the other hand stayed relaxed (though not as relaxed as Frankie) and another podium has strengthened his championship charge.

With the way the season is developing Rossi could become king maker - the factory Yamaha is the only team in the mix with just one rider in the championship.

Potimao, the last race of the season, has a higher than average chance of rain - it's hard to see anything else but a season finale thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

h3000 wrote: »

did they just shaft bradley?

or is he injured?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    did they just shaft bradley?

or is he injured?

Just a swap out as far as I know. I feel sorry for Bradley because he seems like a real nice bloke but he and the Aprilia never clicked. Savadori just won the Italian championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Savadori has tested with Aprilia aswell since Iannone's ban (effectively replacing Smith as tester while he was the rider instead of Iannone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Just a swap out as far as I know. I feel sorry for Bradley because he seems like a real nice bloke but he and the Aprilia never clicked. Savadori just won the Italian championship.

I meet him at the birmingham bike show when he was still riding for KTM and while i know they have to be friendly he came across as a nice genuine guy which i partly why i always route for him. Its a pity he got shafted again.

Maybe aprilla plan to put Savadori on the bike as Iannoe replacement long term?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I meet him at the birmingham bike show when he was still riding for KTM and while i know they have to be friendly he came across as a nice genuine guy which i partly why i always route for him. Its a pity he got shafted again.

Maybe aprilla plan to put Savadori on the bike as Iannoe replacement long term?

I think Cal is the favourite for that if he can be fit enough.

I think Cal is the favourite for that...
    Cal turns 35 tomorrow and he's got long term injury problems. I can't see how he'd be first choice for any factory team. I know he's favourite for the seat and has a 'pre-agreement' but I'd say Aprilia would jump on the chance of someone better. I think (hope) they'll break the bank and give Dovi a good offer. There's also the fact that Iannone might win his appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Magown3

Where is Lowes contracted to next year?
    If he wins the championship, does he stay and defend it for another year. Then, if he wins it again, would any MotoGP team give him another chance?

Magown3 wrote: »
    Where is Lowes contracted to next year?
    If he wins the championship, does he stay and defend it for another year. Then, if he wins it again, would any MotoGP team give him another chance?

Stays at Marc VDS afaik - he didn't really have a chance with Gresini Aprilla in Moto GP and Dorna do like to place the Moto 2 champion into Moto GP.

Cal turns 35 tomorrow and he's got long term injury problems. I can't see how he'd be first choice for any factory team. I know he's favourite for the seat and has a 'pre-agreement' but I'd say Aprilia would jump on the chance of someone better. I think (hope) they'll break the bank and give Dovi a good offer. There's also the fact that Iannone might win his appeal.

Dovi has no interest in the Aprilla project and apparently the feeling is mutual - a test ride with Yamaha could be potentially announced as soon as next week.

Cal was/is favourite for the Aprilla ride BUT Cal has been talking in terms of ' I have had a good career' over the last few days so retirement maybe imminent.

Replacing Bradley for Valencia with Savadori is starting to make a little more sense - Bradley was not seen as a long term replacement for Iannone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Infoanon wrote: »
    Dovi has no interest in the Aprilla project and apparently the feeling is mutual - a test ride with Yamaha could be potentially announced as soon as next week.

Cal was/is favourite for the Aprilla ride BUT Cal has been talking in terms of ' I have had a good career' over the last few days so retirement maybe imminent.

Replacing Bradley for Valencia with Savadori is starting to make a little more sense - Bradley was not seen as a long term replacement for Iannone

I wouldn't be surprised to see cal retire from moto gp
    British superbikes a beckoning

ZX7R wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see cal retire from moto gp
    British superbikes a beckoning

I'd say if he retires it will be from all motorcycle racing.

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1321902783910551554

I really hope Mir doesn't win the championship without having won a race. It just lessens it IMO.

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1321902783910551554

I really hope Mir doesn't win the championship without having won a race. It just lessens it IMO.

Winless or not Mir has been the most consistent all season - stick or twist - Mir would look rather foolish now in binning it while trying to win a race now - he would /should have won already this season - I don't think it will lessen the championship (and it hasn't happened once before in 125s).

Put it another way - winners this year include Binder / Petrucci - would they be deserving a championship because they won a race

On Valencia - slightly concerning, The teams have already been warned about not following proper protocols .

Crazy rumours time - Jorge is in talks with Aprilla for a test ride and wild cards !

Put it another way - winners this year include Binder / Petrucci - would they be deserving a championship because they won a race
    I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. He's the most points and that's the objective. I'm just saying it slightly lessens the season, for me, if the champion hasn't had a win and I dare say, it probably slightly lessens if for him a bit too, world champion and not won a race in 3 years!

• Advertisement

Crazy rumours time - Jorge is in talks with Aprilla for a test ride and wild cards !

Have you been reading http://motogpnews.com/2020/10/28/lorenzo-replaces-smith-at-aprilia-for-rest-of-season/ ??

Actually you should, it's a very funny site!

"However despite his continuously thrilling battles with Tito Rabat and the safety car Aprilia decided this week to finally pull the wig from Bradder’s racing career."

Advertisement