Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing fireplace with hole in the wall

• 21-10-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've just bought a house and it has a standard fireplace with a gas fire.

I'm looking to get someone to remove the fireplace and replace fire with the hole in the wall type gas fire.

So fireplace would come out and bottom wall of bricks would need to be constructed for hole in the wal fire to sit upon. I'd assume the installer can then measure and cut/ chip away at cement until of chimney is removed to accommodate width of gas fire.

Is something that can be done as I've been googling and see nothing of people providing this service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all

I've just bought a house and it has a standard fireplace with a gas fire.

I'm looking to get someone to remove the fireplace and replace fire with the hole in the wall type gas fire.

So fireplace would come out and bottom wall of bricks would need to be constructed for hole in the wal fire to sit upon. I'd assume the installer can then measure and cut/ chip away at cement until of chimney is removed to accommodate width of gas fire.

Is something that can be done as I've been googling and see nothing of people providing this service?
    depends on the width of the gas fire really, if the gas fire is is wider than the lintel or flue gather that is above the existing ope then it is a big job as will required structural work as the whole chimney essentially rests on this lintel/flue gather, if it is not wider then will be straight forward enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

bfclancy wrote: »
    depends on the width of the gas fire really, if the gas fire is is wider than the lintel or flue gather that is above the existing ope then it is a big job as will required structural work as the whole chimney essentially rests on this lintel/flue gather, if it is not wider then will be straight forward enough

Would it be a RGI gas installer that I'd get in touch with to do the structural work and obviously to install the gas fire?

From looking at the width of hole in wall type I think there would need to be some brick knocked away to fit the hole in the wall fire. Would it be fair to assume rest of chimney would not need to be widened given if chimney was sufficient for existing gas fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

lightspeed wrote: »
    Would it be a RGI gas installer that I'd get in touch with to do the structural work and obviously to install the gas fire?

From looking at the width of hole in wall type I think there would need to be some brick knocked away to fit the hole in the wall fire. Would it be fair to assume rest of chimney would not need to be widened given if chimney was sufficient for existing gas fire?

rgi gas installer won't do the breaking out, need a builder for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Somewhere like fireplaces direct in Drogheda would probably be able to do it. They do gas fires and they offer full installation of stoves, including removing fireplace and replacing with hole in the wall, so don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it. Probably the same for other fireplace shops too.

Advertisement