Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Paul Tylak played Ashti (a Kurdish refugee) in Fair City. He was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Paul Tylak played Ashti (a Kurdish refugee) in Fair City. He was appalling.
    Wasn't he in the Foil Arms and Hog sketch learning to speak like a Dub as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

It was quite realistic indeed, and didn't include all the usual same oul RTE faces iirc.

Main newsreaders were asked to take part but declined I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

cml387 wrote: »
    Main newsreaders were asked to take part but declined I believe.

I think the Producers said at the time that they deliberately didn't use RTE newsreaders, as the public would have panicked if they saw Anne Doyle or whoever talking about an explosion at Sellafield

It didn't make much difference, the BBC News 24 journalists were enough to unsettle gullible viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What was that US cop series TG4 showed around 2001/2 that felt like an update of Miami Vice? Black guy and a white guy who drove around in a sports car . Had an attractive female boss. Also featured a grossly obese comic relief black guy who I think was their informant.

• Advertisement

What was that US cop series TG4 showed around 2001/2 that felt like an update of Miami Vice? Black guy and a white guy who drove around in a sports car . Had an attractive female boss. Also featured a grossly obese comic relief black guy who I think was their informant.
    Nash Bridges?
    That was Don Johnson and Cheech Marin in a convertible yellow muscle-car.
    nash-bridges.jpg

Nash Bridges?
    That was Don Johnson and Cheech Marin in a convertible yellow muscle-car.
    nash-bridges.jpg

No, the two guys were much younger and one of them was deffo black. TG4 used to run a promo for it that used Radioheads The National Anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fastlane? Was Saved by the Bell star Tiffani-Amber Thiessen the boss?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320000/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Fastlane? Was Saved by the Bell star Tiffani-Amber Thiessen the boss?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320000/

Yes, that's the one!

Mr Palfrey of Westminster, an ITV series from the 1980s.
    Similar territory to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and the 'non action' episodes of Sandbaggers.

Started out as a pilot in the 'Storyboard' series - of which Woodentop, the pilot for The Bill, was another entry.

I thought the lead actor (Alec McCowen) was excellent, reminded me a little of Ian Holm in his delivery.
    He was usually pitted against quality character guest actors such as Tim Piggott Smith, Martin Jarvis, Julian Glover, Maurice Denham and our own Jim Norton.
    His boss was perhaps too closely modelled on Margaret Thatcher though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=pbSah088Yic

• Advertisement

Mr Palfrey of Westminster, an ITV series from the 1980s.
    Similar territory to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and the 'non action' episodes of Sandbaggers.

Started out as a pilot in the 'Storyboard' series - of which Woodentop, the pilot for The Bill, was another entry.

I thought the lead actor (Alec McCowen) was excellent, reminded me a little of Ian Holm in his delivery.
    He was usually pitted against quality character guest actors such as Tim Piggott Smith, Martin Jarvis, Julian Glover, Maurice Denham and our own Jim Norton.
    His boss was perhaps too closely modelled on Margaret Thatcher though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=pbSah088Yic

Co-sign. Very enjoyable. I have the Network DVD set

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dellaventura, a detective series starring Danny Aiello

Young Indiana Jones.
    They had an episode where he got caught up in the Easter Rising.

Young Indiana Jones.
    They had an episode where he got caught up in the Easter Rising.

Wonderful adventure series.

This is a great clip - Young Indy in a 'language duel' with guest star Elizabeth Hurley in 1916 London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

A Sunday morning show I used to like about a dad and his two sons running a diner
    Don't remember the name but there was a deadly blonde in it

Trying to remember the name of a short lived UK series from circa 1990/91. It was about a female private investigator, she was in her 20s and very cute, used to dress in a kind of indie/alternative style. She had a deadbeat Irish boyfriend with long hair. I remember in particular one scene where shes in the loo in some public building and spots a guy peering over the cubicle, its heavily implied that he was having a w@nk as he runs off fumbling with his trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Trying to remember the name of a short lived UK series from circa 1990/91. It was about a female private investigator, she was in her 20s and very cute, used to dress in a kind of indie/alternative style. She had a deadbeat Irish boyfriend with long hair. I remember in particular one scene where shes in the loo in some public building and spots a guy peering over the cubicle, its heavily implied that he was having a w@nk as he runs off fumbling with his trousers.

Was it Anna Lee (Or Anna Lee: Headcase, as the pilot episode was called) ?

Skid X wrote: »
    Was it Anna Lee (Or Anna Lee: Headcase, as the pilot episode was called) ?

Yes that's it!

Imogen Stubbs, I remember now she used to wear some really sexy outfits in this and she subconsciously reminded me of Leslie Dowdal from In Tua Nua whom I fancied the pants off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I have a bit of an obsession with The Fugitive. It's pretty hammy by today's standards, and David Jansen wasn't much of an actor, yet I find it strangely addictive. I've just discovered that it's all on YouTube too. Watched the finale last night. First time I'd ever seen it.

They tried re-making the series a few years ago after the success of the film, but it didn't work. Great concept for a tv show, a formula they repeated pretty closely for The Incredible Hulk in the 80's.

Skid X wrote: »
    Was it Anna Lee (Or Anna Lee: Headcase, as the pilot episode was called)

And bonus points that your clip features Kate Beckinsale in a very early role!

• Advertisement

The Inspector Dalgleish ITV series starring Roy Marsden (also great in Sandbaggers) based on the PD James books.

The Inspector Dalgleish ITV series starring Roy Marsden (also great in Sandbaggers) based on the PD James books.

Some good stories especially The Black Tower and Death In Holy Orders.
    The Sandbaggers was brilliant; best spy series ever. D Ops and D Int and “C”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The Fantasic Journey in 1976 was my favorite show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSGc3PsxfDc

And Space 1999 of course
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Just rewatched Nowhere Man.
    Great show
    Can't believe it only got 1 season

Some good stories especially The Black Tower and Death In Holy Orders.
    The Sandbaggers was brilliant; best spy series ever. D Ops and D Int and “C”

Sandbaggers, there was a show that pulled no punches.

I read that Channel 5 are planning adaptations of the Dalgleish stories.
    Curiously, ITV did most of the 1980s & 1990s adaptations.
    Then the rights shifted to BBC and Martin Shaw (The Professionals) stepped into the role. The stories were good but I couldn't warm to him at all, I don't know if that was because Marsden 'was the character' for me or if Shaw just wasn't great in the role.

When my OH saw a clip of Shaw in The Professionals she couldn't believe it was the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Ok, here's one.

Forever Green.

TV series from London Weekend starring that famous TV husband and wife Pauline Collins and John Alderton.
    RTE in the early nineties.
    That was it as far as John Alderton and TV series goes, he's done some small parts since on film and TV.
    Mentioned somehwere else that he was an awkward actor to deal with.

cml387 wrote: »
    Ok, here's one.
    Forever Green.
    TV series from London Weekend starring that famous TV husband and wife Pauline Collins and John Alderton.
    RTE in the early nineties.
    That was it as far as John Alderton and TV series goes, he's done some small parts since on film and TV.
    Mentioned somehwere else that he was an awkward actor to deal with.

I remember that show alright.

They were both also in Upstairs Downstairs and in the PG Wodehouse Playhouse anthology series playing different characters in each episode.

Wondered what happened to him.

Thomas & Sarah series too, also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Into the Labyrinth, fantasy adventure series starring Ron Moody

• Advertisement

I've heard good things about Special Branch, almost like a domestic version of Sandbaggers.
    Any opinions on it?

Advertisement