Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is the best/worst Taoiseach in modern times?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    It's mad how Ireland as a country have improved it's international status and ranking in almost every quality of life metric you can think of between roughly the mid 80s to 2020 with such a band of inept to average leaders.

Maybe leadership isn't as important as they make it out to be. Maybe we don't give them the credit they actually deserve. Maybe other countries have just had even worse leadership than our own. Maybe had Bertie retired before the GFC came along he'd get more than a 3 which might average then numbers out a little better. Maybe something else.
    Whichever it is, it's interesting all the same.

I think in simple terms, leadership isn't the be all and end all even though it is judged as such.
    Governance in Western Democracies being what it is, outside of the person in the top seat, there are at any given time, 5-10 people who want that seat, they have their own aspirations, desires and plans and they can influence a governments success or perception either positively (Simon Harris earlier this year) or negatively (Boris Johnson under Theresa May).
    There are a lot of other factors that come in to play in terms of the success or failure of a government but in hindsight, we put all down to having been the product of the person in charge.

Look at Micheal Martin in this respect, a lot of the fiasco's of this government so far have not been his fault directly, but in review, in 20 years time, they will be described as if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

For me, Lemass was the best. He opened the country up to trade and started talks with the North. W. T. Cosgrave also deserves mention for setting up the state, guiding it through the early years and then handing over power peacefully when FF were not sure that would happen. Dev, for all his faults, also deserves credit for steering us through the war.

Haughey could have been up there but he has to be the worst because of the way he had a major role in corrupting the office. Aherne deserves credit for the Peace Talks but, similar to Haughey, has to rank low.

Of the others, i think history will be kind to Kenny. He took over a battered country and kept a sense of optimism. He represented us well abroad, took a hard line on church failings and, as soon as Brexit happened, got Europe to see our perspective. Leo did well on Covid but his undermining of MM does him no credit. The latter has been weak but also very unlucky. How can you legislate for the golf dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I only want to rate those that were in the job when I was an adult but I also don't want to rate Varadkar or Martin as I believe it's too soon since they both likely have time left to serve in the office. That only leaves 3 but regardless I'll go:
    1. Enda Kenny. After the implosion of the previous government and the humbling of the country in general we needed a steady hand to get us back on course. Kenny gave us this. He wasn't an exciting leader and he couldn't debate to save his life but he got the job done without any major scandals along the way. I suspect that he will be a future President of Ireland.
    2. Bertie Ahern. Someone clearly with a checkered history both in and out of the office. Possibly the greatest ever retail politician taoiseach, given that he had a knack for giving people exactly what they wanted. Of course this largess only inflated the property bubble making the resulting crash even worse. He got the GFA over the line along with Blair & Clinton and like those two he'll be hoping that in the fullness of time that that's what he'll most be remembered for rather then what came after.
    3. Brian Cowen. A decent man who just wasn't cut out for the job. The handling of the Bank Guarantee in particular sticks out but was one of many fiascos in his short stint in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Best is obviously Enda.

Have to say Bertie as the worst, who bears more responsibility than him for the massive debt burden we are now under.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gourcuff wrote: »
    Best is obviously Enda.

Have to say Bertie as the worst, who bears more responsibility than him for the massive debt burden we are now under.

Enda was a very good Taoiseach in my opinion. He had great energy, integrity and led the country out of the ****e it was in then.
    M Martin is fairly underwhelming so far and can't see that changing. He's a solid Minister material but not leadership. As it is you feel Varadkar is the one charge most of the time still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Can't deny Leo Varadkar was an impressive Taoiseach but I did not personally agree with many of the social and economic policies being pushed at that time, for that reason I'd argue Enda Kenny as the best Taoiseach of modern times. The thing about Enda is he made tough decisions and stuck to them and ultimately for the wider population it paid off. Neither have been beneficial to my own or my families life though which is disappointing. I find myself looking more towards the left economically these days, it would be nice to see change in action for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Borrowing from future taxpayers is always a bad thing in a country with no natural resources of it's own to use as collateral. It's burdening Irish kids with huge debt. Auction politics is a dangerous thing.

The other option is burdening Irish kids with a life of private debt and sending this country further back under the boot of the landlords. Personally ide rather be burdened with extra tax and my own house then burdened with a life of high rent

Advertisement