Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to do this on a school board of management

• 25-07-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all very new here but just wondering if this can be challenged? Last feb we had a board of management meeting, one of the topics up for proposal I had strong objections to, nothing was decided that night and we were to have another meeting within 2 weeks unfortunately due to covid the meeting only happened last week. Same topic on agenda and again I gave my issues with it. So no member of the board would propose or second it. The principle Said to the chair she was happy for the proposal to go ahead even though no one else was. The chair person just sanctioned it herself, it was never proposed or seconded by anyone she said she was taking it upon herself to sanction it even though as parents we felt it wasn't in our child's best interests. Can she just do this?
    Secondly at the start of the meeting she never read the minutes out so can the meeting be classed as non void. Have I grounds to appeal with the backing of the other parent on the board
    Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Hi Pennypenny. I am not sure of the answer to your question but you should find the answer here: https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Boards-of-Management/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The principle Said to the chair she was happy for the proposal to go ahead even though no one else was. The chair person just sanctioned it herself,

It could be said that the principal proposed it by saying she was happy for it to go ahead and the Chairperson sanctioning it could be said to be seen as seconding it. Not really the way to do it, but at least 2 from the Board appeared okay with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pennypenny_123

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The principle Said to the chair she was happy for the proposal to go ahead even though no one else was. The chair person just sanctioned it herself,

It could be said that the principal proposed it by saying she was happy for it to go ahead and the Chairperson sanctioning it could be said to be seen as seconding it. Not really the way to do it, but at least 2 from the Board appeared okay with it.
    Hi thanks for that but I know a chairperson is not allowed to second a decision only a board member and I'm quite sure the principal is not allowed to propose it either

Advertisement