Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jellyfish Howth.. got stung!

• 16-08-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

I went for a dip at Balscadden today at lunchtime. The water was kindy murky and biggish waves.
    I swam for about 5 mins.
    I felt a couple of jellyfish and a light sting, so decided to get out.

I am home now and very sore, on my left arm, right arm, back & little pinpricks of agitation/ light pain around my body...

Did any of you experience this?

Are there a lot of jellyfish in Dublin waters at the mo?

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Lots of jellyfish about. I've seen a few lion's mane jellyfish go by and they've a nasty enough sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Loads last week but none the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi... surfer/kitesurfer here. Just saw the thread pop up.

Loads out. The latest advice is to carefully pick any tentacle remains out with gloves on, wash thoroughly in seawater, not fresh water, don't rub it or towel it. Put a DRY ice pack on it gently.

Take some ibuprofen or some antihistamine tablets like Claritin.

Don't use vinegar or urine. That's old school, there's still a few websites saying this is the way.

Best of luck, hope it's not too sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Got stung last year in seapoint across both arms. The bight of tingling all over and irritation was unreal. Gone next day though although had a rash on both arms for weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Morning, thanks for the replies!
    I saw a fair few small, circular jellyfish beyond the waves, hitting the beach..
    And I was chatting to a guy on the beach and he pointed out a large brown jellyfish, very close to the shore...

Yesterday wasnt a pleasant day.. as i said.. it was like constant pinpricks of irritation all over..
    The sorest point was on my upper arm.
    Thankfully after a good nights sleep, I feel a lot better today.. only mild irritation.. like the after effects of a few ant bites..
    It is amazing the punch the jellyfish can pack!

Any idea how long they spent in coastal waters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

This may help ;)

Advertisement